Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Taubmans Endure 3 Coat

Page 1 of 1
Hey all,

Just making the painting decision, is Taubmans Endure 3 coat paint in Matt finish a good paint compared to Dulux?

Just been advised by the painter matt finish would allow to touch up later on, and low sheen finish (shiny) touch ups can easily be seen, he said he will do the shiny (lowsheen) finish on the architraves etc.. and Matt finish on walls/ceiling.

Just trying to get my head around the paints..

cheers
Gav the standard practice is use matt/flat on the ceilings and low sheen on the walls.
If the painter cant touch up low sheen with out it standing out i'd suggest finding another painter. Besides matt looks like poo on walls and you cant clean a mark off it with out leaving a shinny spot.
If you are going for a white on doors and arcs, go with a gloss acrylic that looks fantastic when sprayed and will stay white unlike enemals that will yellow.
Thanks Mgilla,

Had a chat with Taubmans customer service and spoke with the painter, decided as you suggested below;

ceilings - matt
walls - low sheen
doors/arcs - gloss

Many thanks again.
My suggestion are as follows and reasons why.

Ceiling - I would use a Flat instead of a Matt, this would have no shine at all although it will hide any imperfections. You lose out on wash-ability on the surface but can be touched up easily. Any paint containing a sheen level will require a coat over the whole ceiling as it will stand out.

Walls - Low Sheen would be my suggestion unless you have a problem area or render and wish to hide imperfections (in this case use Matt) Low sheen offers a washable surface and looks fantastic.

Skirting Boards & Doors - if you would like a Modern Finish or again hide imperfections a Satin Aqua Enamel or Enamel would be ideal.
If you wish to really show this off or have that classic appeal you would chose a gloss.

Keep in mind when using a Water-based enamel it will not be as shiny as any Oil based paints.

In regards to Taubmans Endure, They have a great product as many do in the market these days. Dulux have had great marketing success and have always been the peoples choice and find themselves paying for their marketing. Every Major Paint Company have different product lines and qualities vary dramatically. Endure is Taubmans premium product, you will not go wrong with them.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the detailed explanation paintmarket, greatly appreciated.

Will follow as you suggested; cielings Flat, walls low sheen and the architraves will be glossed up.

Cheers
Hmmm... I'd argue you're better off with matt on the walls. The latest range of matt products wear better, and (especially in the dark colours) the look is beautifully soft. Low sheen in high traffic areas only, to help with scuffing.

Does anyone use high gloss on skirting/trim any more? Only if you own a Federation house! Use a satin turps-based enamel on the trim and doors (aquanamel and water-based "enamels" don't lay-off very well, and can punish a non-professional).

But that's just my opinion
Thanks for the suggestions.

Have spoken with the painter been advised in the quote the following;

ceilings; Tradex paint in flat finish (I believe this is the entry range for Taubmans, will it still result in a good finish?)

woodwork; ultra enamel high gloss

walls; endure low sheen.

thanks..
Low sheen is the go, Taubmans touches up fine, it's the cheap low sheens that give you dramas. I only use matte on damaged/uneven surfaces as it hides imperfections well, the downside is it marks easily, will not respond to moisture very well either.

Call me old fashioned but I still like gloss woodwork, you soon get over stain after a few houses!

Edit: tradex is fine for ceilings, I use the tradex enamels too..

Edit again: lol just realized the last reply is months old, traffic is a bit slow it seems. .
Related
You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum