Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Need help with a Slab in Adelaide SA

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

We're owner building in Para Hills SA and having great difficulty getting slab quotes. We've sent out quote requests to over 15 businesses/ tradies and only received 2 replies, both of which are substantially more $ than we were told to expect by engineers, architects and builders

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on who to go with that can do a good job and most importantly charges a reasonable price?

It will be a 260sqm slab on MD/P soil.

Thanks
Welcome to the incompetence and bad manners of your average Australian small business in the building industry. Enjoy. There is obviously heaps of work on and they couldnt be fudged. In that sort of environment you are going to get over priced quotes. Be very diligent and patient, else you will get done like a dinner.
Can I ask what price you have been quoted and how deep your footing are engineered for.

I also am looking at footing slab quotes in the near future and would to know what others have been quoted.

Thanks
Andrew
'Welcome to the incompetence and bad manners of your average Australian small business in the building industry. Enjoy.'
I'm glad I'm not an average small business in the building industry.
I realise that it was probably an off the cuff remark but you need to be really careful 'qebtel' in case someone sues your backside off.
ausdesign
I'm glad I'm not an average small business in the building industry.
I realise that it was probably an off the cuff remark but you need to be really careful 'qebtel' in case someone sues your backside off.

Are you going to advise the OP to be careful for insinuating the some slab companies are deliberately over charging? dont make me laugh. This is Australia, pal, not China.
qebtel
Welcome to the incompetence and bad manners of your average Australian small business in the building industry. Enjoy. There is obviously heaps of work on and they couldnt be fudged. In that sort of environment you are going to get over priced quotes. Be very diligent and patient, else you will get done like a dinner.

I'd actually call that good advice. Also found patience & persistence very important to saving money with building.

ausdesign

Right there, I think you just confirmed for OP a stereotype of building industry people.
Quote:
Welcome to the incompetence and bad manners of your average Australian small business in the building industry.

I have to agree with ausdesign here too.
It is always a small percentage that gives the rest a bad name. There are lots of us who are professional and courteous .
A lot will depend on where you live and the particular trades you are dealing with.
The worst I have dealt with are usually brickies, then concreters who I basically refer to as labourers with a trowel in their hands. Some are good but the rest leave a lot to be desired.

Stewie
I was going to suggest that you take a drive in a new housing estate and find concreters on the job and talk to them or talk to other trades, they will know someone and give you a lead.
Related
24/12/2023
Garage builder, Adelaide

General Discussion

Building a new home, and looking for a garage builder (home builder not contracted to do this). Someone to build steel garage (double), colorbond, including supply and…

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum