Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

how about me a newowner builder with help of a site manager?

Page 1 of 1
i have read about a lot of no no of being a owner builder. but in most of the threads are the owner being a builder and site manager himself.

i have a friend who used to work for a small builder. he did design and managed the contractors onsite. he said he can help me with the build. the

if i ask him onboard, will i still have the nightmare other owner builders had? what will be the difference?

he will not ask for as much as other site managers on yellow pages.
So you are planning to Owner build with the help of an uninsured site manager whose experience is limited to one project over which he had a huge personal interest.

Are you going to get the same level of commitment to your house?

Whose going to be responsible if things go wrong?
Strongly agree with bashworth on all points.
An OB may save $$ IF they themselves properly manage the project.
Employing a Site Manager is an additional cost factor, with the risks outlined above.
My (developing) thoughts are to Project Manage myself. (Non building experience in PM'ing)
I will contract a Registered Builder, for Framing/Fitout.
My failing will be QC, so intend to contract a Building Consultant (as distinct from Building Inspector) to do stage checks for defects etc.
Cover my A**

If you use your friend, ensure he registers with the relevant registration board and obtains all the required Insurances.
I would hate to see things go pear shaped, and you be out of pocket and friendship as well.

Plenty of web detail on Project Management, Scheduling building projects etc.
Remember to allow decent "slack" time for weather, and give trades "exclusive" access where possible.
Related
1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum