Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Ripped off by our concreter. Please help.

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone, we are owner building in regional Qld and putting up a kit home and shed. The concreter who did the shed slab held us to ransom half way through the job and wanted an extra $950 over the quoted price. My hubby is disabled and I had to try and sort it out with the concreter. I had no choice but to cave and pay or we would have been left with a blob of concrete. Our fault for not getting it in writing.

Problem is the concreter ordered all the steel rio mesh to do the house and garage. He has left the house steel on our property but has since told us he cannot do our house slab as he's booked up for the rest of the year. He wants to send a truck to get the steel. I've told him he's not to enter our property and as far as we're concerned the steel is ours as we paid for it with the extra $950 he gouged us for. He wasn't happy of course.

His solicitor has now called and asked us to release the steel. I informed them we would not. They then advised the concreter would take it further, whatever that means.

There is no contract, only verbal and the job was cash so no invoice. So in effect, anybody can say anything happened.
I have asked the solicitor to produce an invoice for the steel. I worked out the steel would've cost me retail $1850. $400 worth was used in the garage so that leaves $1450, at retail. Maybe the concreter gets it bit cheaper on his account. So instead of the concreter being up $950 his is now down $500, based on my retail figures. The tables have turned somewhat. Because he has left us high and dry and was dishonest I feel no guilt with keeping the steel.

Has anybody been through something similar and can offer any advice on where we stand here?
Cash just drop into the conversation that you will be tell the ATO he insisted on cash that should make him go away!
Hi firebird

This is not a very pleasant experience for you however you are lucky that this is just the start of your build and have a chance to change the way you manage your investment

This is going to be a very step learning curve for you and essentially you have to transform into a shrewd businesswoman or else you may be taken to the cleaners.

Do everything in writing including confirmation of meetings and conversations with email, get subcontract agreements from HIA or Master Builders, they are inexpensive and use them.

Do your homework and get expert help
chripark69
Cash just drop into the conversation that you will be tell the ATO he insisted on cash that should make him go away!
Thanks, good point. I will keep that up my sleeve.
building-expert
Hi firebird

This is not a very pleasant experience for you however you are lucky that this is just the start of your build and have a chance to change the way you manage your investment

This is going to be a very step learning curve for you and essentially you have to transform into a shrewd businesswoman or else you may be taken to the cleaners.

Do everything in writing including confirmation of meetings and conversations with email, get subcontract agreements from HIA or Master Builders, they are inexpensive and use them.

Do your homework and get expert help
Thanks for the advice. Certainly has been a wake up call.
Related
28/02/2024
Leak after Concreter poured concrete

Owner Builder Forum

Hello needing some advice. I was about to build my Alfresco and needed a new slab and remove exisiting slab as its not standard. So they start to excavate and jackhammer…

13/06/2024
What are our rights with our draftsman and the completion of

Building A New House

I second taking your plans elsewhere. They're yours (unless you ended up in one of those cheaper arrangements where you don't own the rights and the build will be tendered…

29/01/2024
Sign off approval required before verandah built

General Discussion

Depends on size, local regulations etc. Ask your Council.

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum