Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Roofing over the top of an old roof

Page 1 of 1
Is it possible to lay new clipped zincalume sheets over the top of an existing corrugated iron roof? to save on having to remove the old sheets and dealing with the extra waste? The roof itself is a 4 degree pitched flat roof, nothing tricky.

cheers,
BEN
Hi Ben,

I wouldn't recommend it unless your prepared to batten over the top of the existing roof, and then you have a whole new set of issues. Laying 1 sheet over the top of another has the potential to create a vacuum that will suck in water and accelerate the deterioration of the protective coating which will most likely lead to rusting. You will undoubtedly get a better job if you remove the old sheets first. The right roofing contractor can arrange for removal of the old sheets for you but if you consider the metal can be scrapped its could be worth doing it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Brett
Remove old sheets, they can also be resold for form work
You can't lay Zinc over Gal, it will cause galvanic corrosion....
Related
4/11/2023
Tiling over old adhesive

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hi, I'm clearing the tiles from our horrid 50 year old bathroom and preparing to lay new ones. Bugger of a job getting the old…

17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

19/04/2024
Attaching roofing to brick

General Discussion

I plan on installing an undercover walkway (awning ??) from my carport to the back door as shown in sketch. I will be using Boxspan Beams and have no concerns regarding…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum