Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Soil test + Site survey + site levels (contour)

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,
NEw to the forum and it's a great place with a wealth of good info and knowledgable people. First time OB
Just booked a soil test on my block and wondering if I should get them to do site levels and survey as well?? Will the architect need both of these to prepare the drawings? There are no houses on the sides of our block, just behind. Would the info contained in the sec 32 about site fall/levels (little arrows and numbers) give enough info in that regard?
We still haven't engaged an architect, and wanted to do the soil test before we fully commit, just to see what type of slab we'll need and how expensive it'll be, so I thought while they're doing the soil test, should I get the levels and survey done as well...Trying to keep the things that have to be done to the minimum at this stage, before we commit.
Thanks very much
it depends on the site really if you only want drawings done at this stage
however if its not a flat block then the engineer will want site contours done
welcome to the nutty journey fasten your belt enjoy the ride
thanks very much bingoshelley.
The site is pretty much flat, although in the sec 32 the arrows show some sort of a fall. I just wanted to avoid paying for soil test now and then getting them out there again separately to do the contours if required, as it would most likely be more expensive that way. Might just ask them how much to include the contours report as well, and if not too much more, get that done as well. From the survey side of things, I was thinking it should be fine as there are no houses around..Any comments on this?
Thanks heaps.
Dinko
thanks very much bingoshelley.
The site is pretty much flat, although in the sec 32 the arrows show some sort of a fall. I just wanted to avoid paying for soil test now and then getting them out there again separately to do the contours if required, as it would most likely be more expensive that way. Might just ask them how much to include the contours report as well, and if not too much more, get that done as well. From the survey side of things, I was thinking it should be fine as there are no houses around..Any comments on this?
Thanks heaps.

from what ive seen on others blogs the survey is probably the most important thing to get done especially if there are no fences around your block. if your block is fenced off then its usually ok (but not always) if you build your house on the wrong block ( like my mil builder did) then it can cost big bucks to fix.our block was already fenced and the measurements came in at what the docs said so we didnt get anything done not even soil test but we didnt do a slab.
have both the boundary and contour tests together - you will cover everything and have an idea what costs you will encounter later. I've done the mistake to have my boundary (pegs only) done - then the sales guy wised up and asked for a contour survey. It costs more to have them done separate as the surveying guys charge twice for travel to site/admin costs...
ahaa..thanks very much guys..I'll just tell them to do the whole lot when they get in touch to organize the access..thanks for the wise suggestions..
Related
29/03/2024
Contour and indentifying survey cost - brisbane

General Discussion

Give "Holt Surveying" they are based around Eight Mile Plains

24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

4/02/2024
Soil Test and Compliance

General Discussion

Hi Building Expert, Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated, there is also a code of conduct for building surveyors which they need to follow as well. I am looking…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum