Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Zarz - Owner Builder Journey

Page 1 of 2
Hi all Im new here and came across this forum last night, Im glad I did it seems like here is alot of good people out there willing to help others with experiences , info and so on.

As this is my first time building and especially as a OB im excited but scared at the same time.

My plans have been going on forever and after they finally got finished we finally got the planning permit ) Enviro Overlay , a money making scam i reckon for the Moreland Council )

Now they are back for a garage amendmant . Grrrr.

So we are pretty close getting the Building permit and ready to start. The biggest problem so far is gettin a construction loan for a Owner Builder. If anyone can help with their experiences that will be great.

Also is there a good plan to follow on the steps of building where it can be purchased or if someone can just let me know.

Thanks in advance and look forward posting on here and finding info and helping anyone in any way .
If anyone needs Aluminium Windows ( AWS Vantage System ) or showers screens , splasbacks and mirrors ill be happy to help.

Marc
Hi Marc

Do you want me to split this in to your own thread so you can keep us all updated??

We got a Line Of Credit to finance our build, and will refinance once it is complete and get a normal home loan (cheaper interest)

Where abouts are you building?? Moreland is Fawkner, Coburg etc isnt it?
Bam
Hi Marc

Do you want me to split this in to your own thread so you can keep us all updated??

We got a Line Of Credit to finance our build, and will refinance once it is complete and get a normal home loan (cheaper interest)

Where abouts are you building?? Moreland is Fawkner, Coburg etc isnt it?

Okay that sounds great . Yes the land is in Gowanbrae where at the back of the estate where the valley is and the moonee ponds creek running through pretty nice spot with a clear view of the city . We got it at the right time now we are stressing about this construction loan trouble.

Thanks again
Done!

I didnt know there was a new estate around there, will have to keep an eye out for it
You can edit your title if you like, I wasnt sure what to put
Owner builder finance can be very difficult if you don't have a 50% equity in the finished project or enough to get a line of credit. If this is your situation save yourself the headache (I called at least 6 or 7 brokers and up to 20 banks and credit unions around Australia - my fingers bled from googling
) The NAB will lend to Owner Builders up to 80% of the finished project. You'll need to be very detailed in your budget estimates and may need to provide actual written quotes as well as a professional estimation. It's still quite difficult to manage though and you may need up to 50k as an offset (and multiple credit cards) as they still treat the drawdown process as if you're building the 'usual way'. That is, they will only pay after each stage of the construction is complete and the bank valuer has been out to inspect but as OBs everyone needs to be paid as you go along and I have had some very stressful claims. Some of the stages are quick and easy such as 'framing' but others like 'completion' are a little difficult to fund whilst you're waiting to make a claim.
All the best with your project.
Bam
Done!

I didnt know there was a new estate around there, will have to keep an eye out for it

Yeh its bit of a hidden estate its pretty much behind essendon airport the entrance is just opposite airport west shopping centre . From the main road you enter the street but it lloks very old and average and then once you drive through BANG a whole new estate . Didnt think much of at first but the block is in a nice spot .

Cheers
Well it's been a while since i've been on here. We have had the worst luck with these plans. When we finally thought we were good to go we had another hiccup. The neighbour wouldn't sign a form as our garage was a metre in front of his entrance, and he reckons it was goiung to block his view. Any way after setting the house back and waiting 4 months for the council to approve, we finally were issued with our building permit
. We now are looking to get the site cut done in the next few weeks. Will keep you guys updated.
Well I'm back again and will be on frequently as things have started to roll. The site cut was complete last Wednesday. I can't remember who it was but someone here recommended Casa Bene for the site cut. They were great and were done in a day and a half. There was a heap of rock that came out of my block but luckily thier 21 tonner ripped right through it and no hammer was needed.

This Saturday the drainage will be getting done and the mains connected.

Just hoping its a smooth ride from here.
Welcome back zarz and congratulations on the site cut. I look forward to following your build. You will have to post pics including your design.... we all love pics!!!
congrats.
ralaighfarm owner built in queensland. she has 2 threads going..rf ramblings in coffee break and also her house build (which has now been locked cos she is in and wanted rf ramblings to be about the landscaping part)

she has loads on her thread that might help you

good luck
Hi guys been away for a while. Things have stalled for a couple weeks. So I thought I'll add a few photos up today.

The drains will be finished Friday. So I'm just booking in my Concreter to get the slab done.

This is the drawing of my house.

21 Tonner ripping it up!

All done.

Looking good.
Nice to see some site works happening.

I like the look of your home. Have you got a floor plan for us to check out??
rocketship
Looking good.
Nice to see some site works happening.

I like the look of your home. Have you got a floor plan for us to check out??

Thanks, I have booked the Concreter in so hopefully will be getting the slab done soon.

Here are the floor pans.

How exciting that you've started!
Slab all done, bricks delivered today for the retaining wall and garage

Hi Zarz,
You aren't mucking around now you've got the block cut !! Great to see things taking shape. It's such an exciting/stressful/terrifying time when you owner build.....I hope that I can look BACK on my experience as a positive one. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress from you (as mine seems to be at a standstill - only fiddly little bits getting done now)
Lyndall
kiwi
congrats.
ralaighfarm owner built in queensland. she has 2 threads going..rf ramblings in coffee break and also her house build (which has now been locked cos she is in and wanted rf ramblings to be about the landscaping part)

she has loads on her thread that might help you

good luck

thanks kiwi

you can pic my brains or try trolling through my build thread for info. Anyway, how are things progressing?
Updated progress.

Windows that I've made myself!

These corner Windows will be the death of me lol

Windows complete!

Back of house.

Front.
Excellent - great progress!!

Looking very

Would love to hear about your plans for some of your internals - colours, etc.
Related
24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

5/09/2023
QLD Owner Builder Legislation.

General Discussion

Hi all. Anyone know when the $11,000 limit was set in legislation for renovations in QLD? Ive been renovating for 5 years now and this was the limit back then. As we know,…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum