Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Electrical wiring costs per downlight/powerpoint

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know what the price per powerpoint/downlight is? We are hoping to save some money by having my parnter install the power points and downlights. We will also be supplying own own materials (all except for the cabling). What do you think would be a reasonable price for them to charge us?

Did anyone else supply their own material and if so how much were you charged?
Our builder supply a price list for all electrical modification cost $46 per double power point, downlight I didn't look as we are not having any.

The question is will they 'let' you do this during the build.
fruitty
Our builder supply a price list for all electrical modification cost $46 per double power point, downlight I didn't look as we are not having any.

The question is will they 'let' you do this during the build.

We are owner builders and are hoping it will be ok.
before we made the choice of going owner builder the builder we where thinking of using wanted to charge us $125 per down light.........Thats Nuts!
A mate just built with Porter Davis, they were going to charge $90/light for just over 60 of them. They got another quote for $5500 and another for $$3200, which works out to be just over $50 per light, although it was a bit of a mate's rate deal.
gettingThere
We are owner builders and are hoping it will be ok.

Opps didn't see that this thread was in the owner builder forum
I've just been given a price by an electrician:

* $70 per power point (no gpo provided)
* $80 per down light (no down light provided)

I guess I'll just have to keep looking
Another one tried to negotiate an hourly rate :S ermmm I dont think so!
gettingThere
Does anyone know what the price per powerpoint/downlight is? We are hoping to save some money by having my parnter install the power points and downlights. We will also be supplying own own materials (all except for the cabling). What do you think would be a reasonable price for them to charge us?

Did anyone else supply their own material and if so how much were you charged?

Is your partner a licensed electrician?
If not, your house could burn down and you wouldn't be covered by insurance.
i am a sparkie, we get clisal power points for $5 each.
Totally agreee, u need to have a Certificate of Electrical Safety to be covered by insurance.
our electrician charged us all up $6980.00 this includes underground wiring from pit to meterbox,main earth switch, smoke detector,switchboard,wiring to hot water service,inspection fee,12 double gpos,10 light switches,wiring to wall oven and hotplates.
certificates of compliance,u/g wiring to garage including 1 light and 1 dbl gpo
installation but not supply of 18 downlights,6 bayonette fittings,ixl bathroom fan/light and laundry fan.
it pays to shop around we got various quotes for the same job from 6500 to 14250 so it varied just as much as the plumbing quotes although i now understand why tradies vary so much when quoting jobs basically if they have heaps of work and dont really want yours then they charge heaps so it makes it worth their while if you accept their gain your loss
Related
25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

20/07/2023
Electrical

General Discussion

Must be labour only. One of those how long is a piece of wire questions.

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum