Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Breakdown of construction costs

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys

We are planning to start building our first home in January 2009.

At this stage, our plans have been finalised and approved and we have started running around getting quotes for a few things. The problem has been knowing whether or not a quote is "within our overall budget".

So, what Ive been trying to do is breakdown each of the major costs of construction so I can start to either get quotes or estimate costs. I've written up a list and was hoping to get a few thoughts on whether I've got everything covered. Any thoughts at all would be great!!!

Surveyor
Excavation
Retaining walls
"Sub-slab services
(water/drainage)"
Slab and footings
Heating
Bricklaying
Windows
Roofing
Rendering
Plumbing
"Electricals
(inc. automation)"
Floor coverings
Fittings (lights etc)
Joinery
Appliances
Painting
Bathroomware
Driveway

Thanks!!!
Adam
U should appoint an estimator first, they will list down all the cost and then you can quote around to find trades that can give the price under the estimator.
noidea
U should appoint an estimator first, they will list down all the cost and then you can quote around to find trades that can give the price under the estimator.

Hmmmm...an estimator you say? Where do I find one of them? Are there people that will do that for you based on your plans; are they different than quantity surveyors?

Sorry if they are basic questions - i'm just very new to all this!!
anyone?
www.reedconstructiondata.com.au

Estimators are basically the same, different names.

Try the website above they are a big company although I haven't used them.

Good Luck!

If you get stuck try just googling something like "building estimators perth" or wherever you live, usually it brings something up.
check out http://www.ownerbuilderspage.com.au/

The software is easy to use, and seems quite accurate...
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

2/09/2023
Builder suspended construction, demanding cost increase

Building A New House

How are you doing Ben? Extremely interested in hearing what you are doing or plan to do!

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum