Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

The Reality of Being an Owner Builder in NSW

Page 1 of 1
Being an owner builder is no walk in the park. It’s a challenging endeavour that requires dedication and hard work.

This insight for those contemplating the path of building their own home as an owner builder. Whether you’re planning to construct your next house, are embarking on this journey for personal reasons rather than profit or you’re a person who isn’t a licensed builder but is weighing the owner builder option, then this is for you.

Some of what follows might ruffle a few feathers. If you find yourself offended by any of this, consider this writing not meant for you. However, if you’re open-minded, read on.

You’ve probably stumbled upon forums where people ask, “Should I be an owner builder?” or “How hard is it to be an owner builder?” And the typical responses often lean toward caution: “If you’re asking, maybe it’s not the right path for you,” or “Without a trade background, it’s a tough road.”

While they hold true for many, they primarily come from a specific sub-strata of society: licensed builders, qualified tradespeople, and those with limited firsthand experience as owner builders. But there’s more to the story. Remember, exceptions exist within the industry, but this overview reflects the prevailing trends. So, let’s explore the owner builder journey with eyes wide open.

The previous statement is particularly relevant for those who fall into the third category but also have connections to the first two:

Their skills and experience make them overqualified to objectively answer whether one should become an owner builder. Put plainly, this is solely because they don’t know what its like to be unskilled.

Now, here’s the crux: The majority of those pondering the owner builder path likely don’t belong to either of these categories. They might lack practical construction skills and find the owner builder journey challenging. However, it’s essential to recognise that while difficult, it’s not impossible.

The real experts—the ones who’ve built their own homes as owner builders—can provide the most accurate insights. They come from backgrounds similar to the majority of people asking, “Should I Be an Owner Builder?”

So, if you’re considering this route and don’t fit the builder or tradesperson profile, read on. Keep an open mind, reflect on your abilities, and be honest with yourself. Overextending physically and financially during the building process is the last thing you want as an owner builder.

Before you embark on the owner builder journey, take a moment to reflect and ask yourself these straightforward questions:

1. Time Commitment: Can you dedicate a minimum of 20 hours per week throughout 80% of the build process?

2. Financial Readiness: Do you currently have or will you have access to the funds needed to complete 80% of the build before physical construction begins?
3. Time Management Skills: Are you confident in managing time and forecasting tasks effectively?
4. Professional Relationships: Can you maintain positive relationships without resorting to an aggressive demeanour (commonly known as “alpha male syndrome”) while still achieving your goals?
5. Technical Literacy: Can you read, understand, and interpret complex technical manuals?
6. Proximity to the Build Site: Do you live nearby to where you intend to build?

If you’ve answered “no” to any of the above, becoming an owner builder may not be your best option. While it’s still possible, the outcome might fall short of your expectations—both in terms of the finished product and the budget.

Honesty is crucial. Convincing yourself that you’re capable when you truly aren’t will only lead to disappointment. Self-reflection is key when deciding whether the owner builder path aligns with your abilities.

If you’ve answered “yes” to all the questions, take heart. The owner builder path isn’t out of reach for you. While there’s much more to learn and do, you can confidently begin the process. Completing the owner builder course doesn’t obligate you to start building. Even if you later engage with a builder, the knowledge and preparation you’ve gained won’t go to waste.

As an owner builder, you’ll encounter valuable lessons along the way. I encourage those seeking advice to speak up. Yes, it’s hard work, occasionally stressful, and demands a significant time investment, but the rewards are immense.

Remember: “There are naïve questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.”

Keep this in mind, and enjoy the journey!
Related
6/12/2023
Anyone got owner builder permit to build a duplex in NSW ?

Owner Builder Forum

If so what were the "special circumstances" under which it was granted? "Note: If the development consent is for 'dual occupancy' an owner-builder permit can only be…

20/02/2024
Do I need a new garage door motor or I being scammed?

Windows & Doors

My garage door has started playing up recently. Sometimes (and getting more frequent) when I press the button to open it, it wont. The motor is an ATA GD0-6V3. Red and…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum