Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Project manager Melbourne Eastern Suburbs

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Was wondering if any one could recommend a project manager in Melbourne. We are building in Melbourne's eastern suburbs and have a home which is up to lock up but due to our builder going into voluntary administration we are looking into owner building the remainder of the house but thought we may need a project manager to help us out or someone who could provide advise for us along the way. We are not definate about the owner builder thing but is an avenue we need to look into as the quotes we have so far from builders to finish it off are way over our budget so thought this may be an option.
Hi laldous, i'm miles away on other side of Oz, but have o/built 4 houses on my 5th now & over 60yoa, and i recon that if ur up to lockup, theres not a lot of structural stuff left - a project manager will be another cost, have a look at the costings of other o/builds listed on this forum for whats left, & u will see whats left to do & some of their cost estimates. without knowing what type of construction it is, i'm not sure what u have left to do? i guess some electrical, plumbering, (walls framed or brick - plastered or sheeted? & ceilings in or not?) tiling, doors hung, painting & cupboards - these are all trades u can get quotes on - ALWAYS get 2 Quotes - in the present economic climate i'd be thinking u will find tradesmen about - the main difference i'd see between u getting quotes & using a project manager is simply timing - if u do it yourself it will probably take longer but should cost less . a lot will depend on ur personal circumstance re moving in date ect.
cheers Tony
Hi Tony,

Yes the more we think about it the more we think we will be able to do it ourselves. We have been able to get just about all the trades peoples names that were used by the builder and are getting quotes to finish it off. Most of them know our house or have our plans and some have already done some work on it like the plumber and electrician so its just a matter of getting them back to finish off. Considering most of them have lost money they are also keen to get some work, so hopefully it will work at well for all of us. I think its the contract, insurance type stuff that is the most daunting but am sure we can work through it.Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it. Owner builder here we come!
Hi laldous, i think u will enjoy it, but please explain to those tradies that u want quotes for whats left to do - u don't want rude shocks & u don't want to pick up accounts that the builder has already been paid & maybe hasn't passed onto his tradies!
explain to them, that u, just like them have been effected by the builders colapse & for the sake of getting finance in order u must have some fiorm idea of what their respective costs to complete are. also as an owner builder remember u carry all over run costs - so after u have got their estimates i'd add a minium of 15% (maybe even 20%) to each of those figures for the little things u just don't think of.. also try to keep control of what fittings r going into the job - with my plumber we both have a look at whats available compare costs & benefits then decide. again u don't want rude shock when u get their accounts - i find most tradies have a soft spot for o/b's who are prepared to have a go - now & again u get a bad egg but not too often...
goodluck Tony
Just came accross this post and am wondering how you got on?

If you still need any help then PM me with a contact number and we can have a chat.

Sorry to hear about your builder - it happens unfortunately.

I do professional Construction Management for Owner Builders and have a couple of good options for anyone contemplating this path. I have found it is much more user friendly than the traditional fixed price, winner take all building contract.
Hi,

We have decided to have a go ourselves and see how we go. We have managed to get our hands on the construction time line from the builder as to what needs to be done when so are just going to follow that and so far the trades have been extremely good about helping me with what they need to have done before they can do their bit etc. Hoping to start next week so we can only wait and see how it turns out but if things go pear shaped shall send out an SOS. Thanks for the reply.
There are lots of traps in this game and they all cost money so please ask as many questions as you can before getting too stressed about it all.

I have made most of the mistakes known to mankind (and paid for them over the years) so am more than happy to help where possible on this forum.

Good luck and keep us all posted how you are going!
builda
There are lots of traps in this game and they all cost money so please ask as many questions as you can before getting too stressed about it all.

I have made most of the mistakes known to mankind (and paid for them over the years) so am more than happy to help where possible on this forum.

Good luck and keep us all posted how you are going!

Thats so nice of you builda! I can appreciate that those that are involved in the industry that the little spare time they have is committed to their families and hobbies (such as my partner). Such a nice gesture.
Related
13/09/2023
InForm SE Suburbs Melbourne

Building A New House

Thanks for your reply! We're definitely not after a small house > Might still have a chat to them. Who did you end up building with if you don't mind me asking?

15/09/2023
Sydney - Inner Suburbs - Boutique Builder Costs

Building A New House

Hi Simeon, PM'ed you the other day. Still waiting >

22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum