Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Owner building in Jimboomba

Page 5 of 6
Enjoying following your build, you are very brave doing the owner builder thing - good on you! As for the neighbours
Pebbles
Hahaha ... I haven't been on here for a looooong time ... was looking for something and found your thread ... never noticed the location before?
Been here 4 1/2 years now

Yes, you look well settled up there, and no wonder since you've been there a while now.

I'm coming from Buccan/Logan Village, where we were on 20 acres for 28 years, and with the one exception we've found all the new neighbours great people.

I run loganvillageweather.com which will be moved to a new site when we move in to the new home.
Interesting journey! Posting to follow
Following your post as I am thinking of going OwnerBuilder in Sydney after dealing with project homes and the flexibility they provide at a massive cost
I'd definately look at going OB if I were to build again.

I've learnt a lot and would do the build in a much quicker timeframe than this one.
bpratt

.... and with the one exception we've found all the new neighbours great people.

theres always got to be at least one.....
whats been happening lately bpratt?
Well we moved in over a month ago now... still haven't updated my blog though !!!

Had issues with a bit of a landslip near our water tank which broke the incoming pipes, but I'm thinking there was a bit of excessive dampness there already, which softened the ground on the slope, which caused movement that broke the pipes... one by one by the looks of it.

The neighbours have been putting on their back verandah light on of a night time until the go to bed at 8pm, but it's not a problem to us as we don't go to bed until near midnight.
What colours did you end up with in the kitchen?
Went for antique white usa doors and laminex benchtops, just can't remember what colours they were called.
NIce I have that on some of my walls.
Oh dear that's not good
I guess there's always one bad one in the bunch it's a pity they are your neighbours though.

viewtopic.php?t=76386
Jeez, I'd hate to live next door to you too Brendon - uncontrolled wild fires, shoulder high grass, 60m high antennas with massive radiation, toxic waste dump etc etc. I might call the EPA !

Stewie
Sorry to hear about your trouble with the neighbours.... Did you consider to talk to them directly and ask them to calm down or ask them to be a little patient as you won't be building forever...?? Sometimes the easiest way is the best way. There is a hope that it might help.... Wish you all the best!
Stewie D
Jeez, I'd hate to live next door to you too Brendon - uncontrolled wild fires, shoulder high grass, 60m high antennas with massive radiation, toxic waste dump etc etc. I might call the EPA !

Stewie

Oh hell yeah, I'm a miserable bugger aren't I ?

The overgrown grass is a load of crap, as I mowed it shortly after we moved in, then usually every second week or so, depending upon growth rate.

Toxic dump? ... that's something they haven't tried yet.... give them time, I'm sure it will happen.
sebeva
Sorry to hear about your trouble with the neighbours.... Did you consider to talk to them directly and ask them to calm down or ask them to be a little patient as you won't be building forever...?? Sometimes the easiest way is the best way. There is a hope that it might help.... Wish you all the best!

Tried all that at the start, and they appeared to be civilised, but as soon as they found out that I was going to put a tower up, the animosity started up, council complaints, covenant complaints.
Arm yourself with pics of the grass to show how high it gets just before you mow. Next time council comes around you have evidence. As for the rest, there's no reasoning with some people. Tough. Can you contact the developers to state that the fill is part of your landscaping "in progress"?
Treeseachanger
Arm yourself with pics of the grass to show how high it gets just before you mow. Next time council comes around you have evidence. As for the rest, there's no reasoning with some people. Tough. Can you contact the developers to state that the fill is part of your landscaping "in progress"?

Shouldn't need to arm myself with pictures, as anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together would see that any cut grass now on the ground is still fairly short in height, so therefore when cut down it wasn't that tall to start with.

It's not the council this time, it is QM Properties covenant people (who are according to the other neighbours, are friends of this problem neighbour!), who are on to me. QM state that I have to 'fix' things up within 10 days of the letter (14/4/15), i.e. disperse or remove all the fill.

Last time I looked, no one else was set such a tight timeframe to do landscaping, so why should I ?
On another topic, when we moved in our old 500 odd litre fridge decided to pack it in on the same day we did the grocery shopping. Luckily another neighbour round the corner saw my post on facebook asking for detail of a fridge mechanic, and loaned me his small fridge.... saved us, that's for sure, as we only had small bar fridges to try and store stuff in.

Minimum charge for a call out was $88, and if it was just a regas on this 15 year old fridge, that was going to be close to $400, so I thought put that $88 towards a new one, and went out the next day and bought myself a 762 litre french door fridge with plumbed ice and water.... was planning on upgrading next year, but had to do something on the spot... thank goodness for interest free!

Anyway, got it in the house, and 3 days later noticed a leak inside, so right now we're waiting on warranty for repairs, which should be monday now.

Oh what a fun time we have here, last week my nice new DAB e.sybox tripped the breakers, so took it back under warranty and got a loaner whilst it went back to Grundfos for inspection, where they found that a gecko got inside for a bit of a buzz, and shorted it out.

Have now got a nice new replacement. The pump shop suggested I get some flymesh and glue it on to the openings at the back where it would have got in... great for a pump that talks about IP44 rating, that a gecko can get in, so then water can get in.
Haha you caught a live one!! (Poor gecko!). We found every time we've moved to a new place, some appliance has packed it in. We bought a place to live temporarily when we moved back to the city from country a few years ago and in one week the stove and the HWS there packed it in. Gee those vendors timed it right. Then when we moved into my mum's house ( temporary accommodation), our fridge decided to die on us. It's always something!!
Related
25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

5/09/2023
QLD Owner Builder Legislation.

General Discussion

Hi all. Anyone know when the $11,000 limit was set in legislation for renovations in QLD? Ive been renovating for 5 years now and this was the limit back then. As we know,…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum