Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Tondelver House - Shipping Container Build

Page 4 of 20
Anymore updates?
Not much since the last update I'm afraid! I've been away for a week (one of the drawbacks of being in a relationship with a 500kms round trip between us!)

Spent this week welding the containers to the metal plates embedded into the piers.
It's been almost 10 years since I did any welding so brushing up on my old skills.
Boring to look at so no pix!

Next I have to weld the sides and roofs of the containers to each other and install internal support posts before I make a start on the roof.
Oh wow what a fascinating build to follow - fabulous views too!
I've had a breakthrough!

Not quite this:

But I really couldn't wait - so I cut through from one container into another.

I can't cut through too many walls until my interior steel supports are put in.

It's the little things that bring you pleasure!!
Its good to see progress.

How long before you start cutting openings for windows? That will be another major milestone.

How are you going to deal with the steel threshold that you presently step over?
Hi Beetaloo - not sure about windows. Have ordered half of them (standard sizes) and finalising quotes for 4 large (2.1m x 2.1m) customised ones.

The floors will be raised so will cover these raised joins.

Something like these:

(Pix from the guys at Opod house: http://www.odpod.com.au/ They have provided me with heaps of ideas and tips!)

It might sound odd but I haven't even decided yet what type of flooring I want! I'm making a lot of this up as I go.....!!

How's your tiling going?
Looks fab. Always wanted to build my own container tiny house!
What are you using to cut the container with? And how do you work out the spans you can do without the supports?
Yvonneh - I ended up using a 5" angle grinder. Turns out to be relatively easy. Used about 5-6 disks per section which I bought on eBay for about 60c each. I was planning on a plasma cutter but the whole kit and caboodle was going to be too expensive.

I have 2 x 7M unsupported spans, the rest being under 4.5M. My engineer has approved the structure so I figure it will be safe!

A tip I took from the Opod gang was to leave 10cm of curtain walling (you can see it above my head.) This gives additional strength to the square steel tube that forms the top beam. It will eventually be hidden by the ceiling (when I get around to deciding what it will be!)
Any more progress to report?
Another #@&!*%@# problem with my engineering plans and once again I am twiddling my thumbs!

Of course I should have picked up the issue when they were first given to me - but engineering plans are complex creatures and I'd thought things were hunky dory.

Also, naively, I imagined that as I was paying a professional company a lot of money that they would know what they were doing.

Sadly, not the case. The internal support to roof joins are completely wrong as the engineers had 'assumed' the top rail of a container was the same as the bottom.

A couple of years ago when planning this house it took me 5 minutes to find detailed container manufacturing/construction plans and details online using Google. Sadly, my engineers failed to do the same.

So three weeks after contacting them I am still waiting for corrections so I can go ahead and fit my internal supports so I can then start the roof and take out more walls.

In the meantime I continue planning my next stages.

I also took out a couple of extra wall sections that I knew would cause no structural issues: (and had a play on photoshop!)

Also - I made a start on my veggy garden. I want it ready to start planting next Spring so I figured I could get it ready and start conditioning the soil.

Post hole digger - great little tool:

Recycled pickets and fencing wire from a redundant dismantled fence:

Bird mesh buried 200mm to deter wascally wabbits:

Old backdoor screen cut down:

All finished - and 2 rows of garlic bulbs already in!!

Veggie garden looks promising.
Just keep us informed on how ingenious the local fauna is in getting in when the veggies are nearly ready to be harvested.
looks great!
lovely garden setup! I thought it was going to be for chooks when I saw the gate.
Worm wicking beds is my latest thing...

And LOVE the photoshop work you have done
It looks like your rain gauge is half full. That should be good for your veggies

I wish I had a rain gauge like yours, mine is always empty
Small update - engineers report came back and now it seems my two 7 metre spans will each need a 100mm x 50mm PFC ("C" channel) to help support the roof!

One of them joins a 5 metre beam (forming a "T" shape) and will support the roof over the kitchen island.

The other 7M beam has a SHS 75X75X4.0 (sq.tube) either end.

I've spent much of the time cutting out wall panels. I have now opened up the main bedroom area as the ceiling here is self supporting and doesn't need a steel girder:

I also made my compost bays using a couple of panel offcuts:

Had some more photoshop fun with view of the containers.

Front of house:

Side of house showing 2nd bed/bathroom/kitchen:
Wow I love your photo shop pictures, being a picture person it helps to see your vision.
What fantastic pictures! Well done!
Looking fantastic
Another brief update.
During the month since my last post I've been away visiting friends in QLD for just over a week.

I was a bit surprised to see this place further down the same road my friends live on in Cooroy (west of Noosa):

It was for sale but I didn't get to have a look inside.

They're spreading like wildfire. I'm in danger of being in a trend!

I've also been away at my partner's for another week and then second day back while cutting out steel panels some grinding grit managed to get past my safety goggles and into one of my eyes. (I always work with double filter mask, wrap around eye goggles, ear covers and a beanie as grinder sparks can really sting the scalp!) Got it out, but it lead to an eye infection which lasted 10 days!

So I have really only just managed to get back into it.

My early morning arrival is often greeted thusly:

They are usually quite put out that I want access to my own land!!

My main recent task was taking out that double corner post that would sit right in the middle of the kitchen island bench (when it ever gets installed)

One of the corner posts came out relatively easily. It was a single piece steel shaped structure.

The second was a stubborn M%$#&!**%!! - F$$!!&@*^!

I used 20 disks to get it out. They kept getting jammed in the cuts and snapping off the central core. It is made from 6mm steel and not 4 like the walls panels.

But finally after about 4 hours straight it fell - and was so heavy the entire container rang like a giant bell!!

You can see in the photo there is a double 'U' shaped beam in the section, one inside the other, which caused all the trouble. (The first corner was not constructed this way.) It is too heavy for me to move outside by myself.

But at least I am getting a sense of the space that is beginning to open up.

(the blue supports are temporary until the cross beam goes in.)

I have spent so much time up on the ladder plank:

It has begun to feel like:
How exciting! Your progress is great

Glad your eye is better now, but scary how easily these things happen.
Related
16/08/2023
Container house Build - Queensland

Building A New House

Did you ask the Architect

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum