Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

OB Project - "New vs Old" - Nedlands, WA

Page 29 of 30
Very very nice! Are you an architect? Did you design the project yourself?
I'm keen to know where you've hidden your fridge, microwave, oven, etc!
cat_dunc
Very very nice! Are you an architect? Did you design the project yourself?
I'm keen to know where you've hidden your fridge, microwave, oven, etc!

No architects here...... our initial building designs were done by a retired architect. (Roger Hearne) We drew what we had in mind and then he made it better. He was willing to listen and trust what we had in mind as at times he didn't agree with what we wanted to do. Off course as with most council plans they are not detailed enough so I just detailed each item on sketch-up as we went along.
I would then email the 3D drawings to contractors for quotes and use them for construction purposes. Sketch-up is free and very easy to learn. I wouldn't have been able to do this build without it.

There is a certain level of satisfaction you get when you both design and build. Whilst being an owner builder has been challenging on family life etc....it gives massive amounts of satisfaction in return. There are many who say doing a owner build is not financially beneficial. I completely disagree. For the right project it's really rewarding.

...... I'm blabbing.......sorry.

Back to your question. The kitchen has an integrated fridge and freezer and microwave. Two of the cabinet doors open into a walk in pantry and scullery however I haven't even started it. Hopefully 2018

haha so the doors open and its an empty cupboard in there?

Integrated appliances.. very nice. I didnt realise microwaves could be integrated.

I'm going to guess you had a decent budget before starting. But you must have saved heaps managing it yourself. Did you have trouble getting contractors, firstly at all, and then secondly to work with you with your sketch up drawings?

How've you found the large windows and the large/tall/open living area? Do you have any regrets or "if i could do it over, I'd do this"?
Hey nice job.
one of the best jobs on here.

I have a question with the slats covering your higher Windows. Is it fixed or adjustable?
cat_dunc
haha so the doors open and its an empty cupboard in there?

Integrated appliances.. very nice. I didnt realise microwaves could be integrated.

I'm going to guess you had a decent budget before starting. But you must have saved heaps managing it yourself. Did you have trouble getting contractors, firstly at all, and then secondly to work with you with your sketch up drawings?

How've you found the large windows and the large/tall/open living area? Do you have any regrets or "if i could do it over, I'd do this"?

Yes the pantry is currently completely empty. Well actually my kids currently call it their home.

Yes I believe we saved a lot. I hope
. We wanted a lot from this build and whilst the budget wasn't small we knew we couldn't afford the important details and features so I did as much as I could do myself and then spent the savings in finishes and luxuries such as underfloor heating etc....

My role in the build was to manage, to labour and to do all the little details that I was after such as the recessed track lighting, concrete Formwork, painting etc. i work well with timber so I stuck to my strengths. I would also help each trade and was rewarded with them not charging me variations and providing good work.

We got off to a slow start as we had problems with both our bricklayers and concreters but apart from that my contractors have been very good. I also realized that I needed to be assertive to get my way. Believe in your own concepts.
My steel fabricator delayed me by 4-6 months which was testing but i was rewarded with really unique steel doors/windows and I got them for really cheap so no complaints.

The large open space is amazing to live in. Obviously its not theoretically great for heating and cooling so we knew early on that we needed underfloor heating and fans. We also have a very large solar system to help with the air con costs.
The external Louvres also help in stopping the direct sun hit the windows so it's actually much more efficient than I had initially anticipated.

If I could do this again........ I'll get to that later

strongarm
Hey nice job.
one of the best jobs on here.

I have a question with the slats covering your higher Windows. Is it fixed or adjustable?

Thanks!

The Louvres/slats are electronic. They can be programed with time, sun etc.

May I ask supplier.
Looking to do something similar.
strongarm
May I ask supplier.
Looking to do something similar.

Look up
Maximlouvers.
I've got the maxim mc75

They are priced at approx $600 per m2 including install etc.

kasra nedlands

LOL You live in another world mate
Perth high end prices have crashed
The average Battler & Punter can't
afford $600/m2 for the House let alone for the sun louvres
OT...Try alibaba next time louvres start around $100m2 have them design (3D BIM ) & certified locally, allow 3 months delivery...cheap as chips.
BTW there won't be a next time for another 10 years (Boom/Bust cycle)
and I probably won't see the aligned of all the planet's..once in a lifetime event ever again (ie low interest rates, Low import material costs, low labour costs, impact of new technology)...NOWS THE TIME TO BUILD IN PERTH
^argh, not you again.
StructuralBIMGuy
kasra nedlands

LOL You live in another world mate
Perth high end prices have crashed
The average Battler & Punter can't
afford $600/m2 for the House let alone for the sun louvres
OT...Try alibaba next time louvres start around $100m2 have them design (3D BIM ) & certified locally, allow 3 months delivery...cheap as chips.
BTW there won't be a next time for another 10 years (Boom/Bust cycle)
and I probably won't see the aligned of all the planet's..once in a lifetime event ever again (ie low interest rates, Low import material costs, low labour costs, impact of new technology)...NOWS THE TIME TO BUILD IN PERTH

Hahaha. I've missed you. It's great to have you back.

I can't be bothered having a decent discussion with you as you're just trolling but just so you know the house cost me $2500 per m2 complete so I know I've done well. You on the other hand. I feel for you. Must be miserable being you.

Flat out with Real projects mate.. BTW...you missed the boat and paid too much
Always here for the battlers...the Punter are doing extremely well
No time for Back slapping..chit chat prefer real data and proofs
Let's pretend he was never here.

I'll bet your kids love having the pantry as a cubby
But where is all your food stored!?

You're better than me. Pantry would be number one. I love my food and get frustrated if i cant get to it easily
Today was all about polishing. Starting with a hone and then worked through 50 and 100 pads. I will get it to 400 or 800 tomorrow.
I will soften the concrete with lots of greens.

I really enjoy cooking on an real open flame so I haven't installed gas.

Oooh very nice.
Any photo updates of the landscaping?? Addicted to your photos!

Absolutely incredible!! You must be so proud of what you've achieved.

kasra nedlands
Talking about photos ..... our cabinet maker wanted some photos of our house for their website so they sent along a photographer to take sone snaps of their work.

I thought I'd share as they were much better than my pics

Could you tell me more about your polished concrete.

It looks like you've polished standard concrete mix.

We're planning the same as it's too expensive to get a special small aggregate concrete mix.

What type of polish/finish did you go for?

How did you protect the concrete during construction?

Any hints or traps?

I don't know how to avoid cracking other than wetting the concrete while it cures.

JB1
kasra nedlands
Talking about photos ..... our cabinet maker wanted some photos of our house for their website so they sent along a photographer to take sone snaps of their work.

I thought I'd share as they were much better than my pics

Could you tell me more about your polished concrete.

It looks like you've polished standard concrete mix.

We're planning the same as it's too expensive to get a special small aggregate concrete mix.

What type of polish/finish did you go for?

How did you protect the concrete during construction?

Any hints or traps?

I don't know how to avoid cracking other than wetting the concrete while it cures.

Hi there,

The mix is a 40mpa standard aggregate mix.

We only wanted to show minimum aggregate. Approx 1 week after the pour it was honed back prior to our bricklayers starting. Then it was protected with a slurry of concrete and grout. This only provides minimal protection so
I always reminded the trades not to throw/drop tools etc. I also place small bits of ply under scaffolding.

Just prior to the kitchen cabinets being installed they came back to do the final polish to 800grit.
They then applied a penetrating sealer in satin finish.

Thanks,

I too wanted minimal exposed aggregate or at least small aggregate. Unfortunately the concreters don't know what size aggregate is in the concrete mix nor can they guarantee it unless you pay for a special mix.

I think standard is 32mpa but will enquire about upgrading to 40mpa.

Concrete slurry and grout looks interesting. I have some carpet tiles, maybe I can use that during construction.

Thanks again for the info.

Related
22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

15/01/2024
Project builder - value for money

General Discussion

As a tradesmen get a private inspector although I don't think there worth it in their profession themselves the reminder they serve to the tradesmen doing the work is…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum