Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

My new house at Fern Tree, Tasmania

Page 15 of 19
Shuttered!

I'm not sure I've shown a picture of the face of the house yet with the shutters in place. The arched shutters really frame the French door nicely.

The colour of the shutters is the same as the dormers... but they look remarkably green in these photos...

Applying the makeup

The inside of the house looks (and smells) like a paintshop at the moment -- doors everywhere, skirting & architraves tacky or about to be. This last push to the end seems so protracted... the temptation to get someone in and finish the whole thing is strong!

Something I screwed up... I thought I'd save time and mask the top of the skirting boards with painter's tape, then just whip around and brush them quickly. However, today I pulled off some of the tape, and it's taking the wall paint with it... despite being low adhesion (for new paint). That'll teach me for buying the cheap Accent brand tape... garbage. Never again!

The facade looks stunning!
3M blue all the way. Place looks fantastic, a real credit to you.
I used the 3M blue recently to tape off the ceiling when painting walls-now it's 3.5 years since we moved in and that tape still ripped the ceiling paint off!

Can I move in Johnson?
Deemaree
Can I move in Johnson?

Sure Dee! I just need to stock the fridge (and bribe the occupancy inspector) and we should be right to go
Fabulous! Love the shutters
I'll have to look through the thread again, but did you build them yourself? We would like shutters on our dormer windows but was a bit shocked by the price and figured we may be able to design and build our own.

Bigblock7
Fabulous! Love the shutters
I'll have to look through the thread again, but did you build them yourself?

Yep -- 18mm marine ply, with 12mm hardwood glued and screwed on top (to give the illusion of rails and stiles). You could also do bevelled insets if you wanted the full look... I didn't want to muck around with the arched shutters any more than I had to...!

Just make sure to fill the edges really well with an exterior putty before painting.
Fantastic thanks for the info! Hope ours end up as lovely as yours have!

WOW your house is amazing! So much character and style
Hi Johnson, could you tell me the name of your roof sheeting profile and who produces it please, its very nice
James Austin
Hi Johnson, could you tell me the name of your roof sheeting profile and who produces it please, its very nice

Gee... from memory I think it's Lysaght Klip-lok 700. I actually wanted the Longline 305, as it's got thin ribs and flat pans, but the cost was pretty extreme.

Then again, if money hadn't been an option, I would've done a copper roof and had it seamed on-site. Next house I reckon.
I'e been watching your thread for the past year. For a few reasons, I lived in Fern Tree in Tas at one stage, your home design is really different for this country, the detailing is so pretty and works so well in Tassie. Your home is gorgeous, amazing and oh boy a copper roof would have been awesome, but no shame in zinc either.
Snow!

The recent cold snap saw a bit of snow fall at the house -- here's the deck:

And the biggest news: I have occupancy! I received my Certificate today, so now I just need to do a little more painting, fit the inner cupboards, get the carpet down... and I'm in!

Johnson
Snow!

The recent cold snap saw a bit of snow fall at the house -- here's the deck:

And the biggest news: I have occupancy! I received my Certificate today, so now I just need to do a little more painting, fit the inner cupboards, get the carpet down... and I'm in!

Great news, well done and congrats!
Congratulations Johnson - that's excellent news.

It must feel extremely satisfying to be finally in.
Congratulations on Occupancy Johnson - you should be very proud of your beautiful house
Snow and moving in. Sounds awesome!
Huge congratulations

Well done a big celebration is due.

Looking back it's 2 years of your life you'll never get back but 2 years you'd never change for anything.

Enjoy and again congratulations
Related
4/08/2023
Tree Identification Mackay

General Discussion

Hello. I just bought a few acres in Habana, Mackay, and my horses seem to love hanging around under this tree. I would like to name the paddock after this tree. Can…

7/01/2024
What tree is this?

General Discussion

Fellow Perth dweller. Looks like pruns nigra. It's a dark leaf flowering plum. Doesn't get massive and is easily trimmed deciduous tree. Very popular in small gardens in Perth

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum