Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

Our OB adventure has begun!!!

Page 2 of 2
Hi everyone

Just an update

Unfortunately we did not put our roof cover on before the rain and now our house is covered in water, all the bricks are really wet and the eaves are full of water....It hurts to see

We had to go to Sydney last week and my DH did not want the roof to go on while we were away and now we have to wait for a nicer weather...
(not angry with my DH but with the weather!)

I hope that this will not destroy the brickwork and the eaves etc

And someone told me today that putting a tin roof in this weather is dangerous as it may fly off (since there is no windows and too much wind going through the house) Another thing to worry about....

And now that the brickwork is really wet, the plasterers said we need to wait for a couple of weeks until the brick are dry

I hope things work out ok...
so sorry hun
this rain up north is certainly reeking havoc
i hope the sun comes out soon to dry it all up
make sure your bricks are totally dry you dont
want mould issues later
Hi Nina & All, bad luck but not an uncommon situation this time of year - don't stress too much....its only time ur've lost. however as Shelly says dont rush, the bicks must dry out, but wind & sun will help that. i wouldn't be too worried about putting roofing on, just make sure that anticon or whatever ur using is only going on a meter or so ahead or sheeting so its not getting wet. & don't worry about windows not being in - wind blowing thru building will help dry out, its only when wind gets "trapped" that things seem to get damaged - main thing is make sure those bricks really dry b4 render.

last friday we had those rotten galeforced winds blowing straight in the double garage & we had just put ceiling thru main section of house under same ridge - gyprockers just made sure the door at back of garage was open & wind simply blew thru - no damage. i've just done a section of external feature wall - although its under the verandah & we waited 10 weeks since verandah went on to put render on & will be 12 more weeks b4 any paint goes on!! a few little holes drilled into morter at bottom course of bricks just on top of slab gives u a good indication of "dryness" - just dont rush - ur not a project builder

cheers tony
Hi Nina just a second thought, i just skipped thru ur pics can't remember if u had any feature hardwood timber door frames anywhere? if u did, i'd consider giving them a couple of coats of 50% linseed oil & turpentine it will help keep any more water out till roof goes on. check with supplier, its something i do with 2 feature jarrah frames wehave every 2 or 3 months until final finish...
cheers tony
Hi Nina!

Same with us. The roof plumber was bravely working on the gutters during the worst weather, but couldn't put the cover on, for safety reasons.

Chris
thanks everyone

hopefully things do work out

thanks for the helpful info T&V
We have a roof!!!!! It looks beautiful

But (there had to be a but
) we realised that they put two flumes in the same bathroom and none in the laundry!!!

Do tradies ever use their brains? (if they have any to start with) I do not mean to offend any good tradies out there...
Congrats Nina,
we're just a step behind you, they're finishing putting the roof iron just now, the plumber will do the ridges and flumes tomorrow and I'll make sure that they'll go where they should!

Chris
can't wait for you guys picture. I'm so envy you guys having so much fun. As my house plan have been with the Council City of Gosnell for 5 weeks now for Building License and still no sign of it. I call every week and they keep saying they are too busy.

Nice work to you Nina
thanks no idea

it took us more than a year from the time we designed our house till the time we began the actual build

your time will come soon and you will enjoy it very much

it looks like you have all your quotes ready and will be able to line everyone up

i will try to post some pics of the roof soon...
Littlemoscow
thanks no idea

it took us more than a year from the time we designed our house till the time we began the actual build

your time will come soon and you will enjoy it very much

it looks like you have all your quotes ready and will be able to line everyone up

i will try to post some pics of the roof soon...

You are right. Once I received my building license i'm good to go. All trades are all on stand-by. All deposit for material have been paid for. I even bought the Appliances (Ranghood, Cooktop, Oven & Dish washer) during the Delonghi Sales last saturday what a Bargain. I already bought the Vito Bertoni Taps which they having onsale right now also.

You can tell that I'm running out of patient. Only the council helding me up. I don't know how much longer I have to wait
Hooray!!! We are starting plastering today!!!

i cannot wait to see the house with white walls and ceilings...

And i cannot wait to move in.. already bought lots of new furniture on saturday

hopefully not too long now

i think the kitchen will be finalised next week, all the granite is sorted and we are getting tiling quotes..
Hi everyone

It has been a while since I posted... have not been too well lately

the house is progressing well. the plastering, the ceilings all done. we will lock the house up next week (hopefully!)

them the kitchen will go in, the tiler etc

it is only now starting to really take shape!!!

i guess the pictures will come when I get to it

nina
congrats nina cant wait for the pics
looking good!
pics pics pics!
finally some pics for everybody...

hallway

cinema

kitchen and laundry

alfresco
our kitchen is almost in!!!!

the tiler is starting the wet areas today

i hope it is not too long now

of course, some problems had to happen along the way... the carpenters could not put in all the cabinets in as some of the pipes were in the draws

all fixed now.

now the benchtops have to go in as soon as possible so the tiler can finish the wet areas. i hope it all goes well, wish us luck!
Hi Nina, lovely pics - i'm fascinated by that ceiling detail in the kitchen & the wonderful ceiling decoration in the hall - all very attractive. u really have rattled along with this build - well done!
we r neck & neck with u ATM, our kitchen is sitting in the lounge room ready for Tuesday having been held up by heater/stove installation, which we completed Thursday. U will finish ahead of us i think, cos i've got a heap of fiddly work to do now -ceiling in our storeroom at the end of the garage which i'm doing by myself & its slow, pantry to line & build in shelving again this will take me a couple of weeks. we have all the jarrah window sills made up, but have decided to varnish these b4 installing which is time consuming but lot easier on my old back & Knees....our tiling is finished. What r u going to put on the ur inside floor coverings & what floor for alfesco area? i've had enough of brick pavers with mice & ants tunneling, & trouble cleaning with my pressure cleaner - we r looking at coloured cement for verandahs this time....?
again well done to u & DH, hope u r both getting a thrill out of all the hard work despite the difficult situations that happens in final fitouts - to me its the hardest part, particularly when u seem so close, but i know it will be another 3 months for us yet...! cheers Tony.
hi Tony,

sorry i never replied. we have been so busy with everything!!! my DH is overseas at the moment and it is hard to manage everything on my own (with a 3 year old
)

our progress... the kitchen saga continues... i cannot wait to see when it is all done.

our ceilings have been painted, all the carpentry finished, just tiled all the bathrooms. so now it is time for the electrician to come in and he decided to go on holidays for 3 weeks
this is when we need everything finished urgently (we need to move in by a certain date)

hopefully the plumber will come next week to do the final fit out.

the grano workers coming in next week to do the garage and alfresco slab.

to answer your question Tony - we are puting cream concrete in the alfresco. the main floor in the house will be tiled with 600x600 porcelain

i am now thinking to tile the front portico floor (rather than wood or paving) we will see what the DH will say when he gets back

i really hope it is not too long now
Related
20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum