Join Login
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum

OB in SA

Page 52 of 52
Fun never stops. Paths
so retaining wall is next. We will do the wall ourselves in face
and the paver on top of it. The first layer will be concrete instead of a layer of bricks.

Hi Folks,

I need some help. I am starting my journey as a owner builder. I have a lot of questions but for now, I only want to ask 1 big thing.

Question 1 -
How the Duck do i arrange workforce for my project?

Ex - we all know that there are N number of tasks that one has to do as an OB. From where do i arrange people to complete my tasks? Like for plumbing how do i arrange plumbing company? Like that for all the tasks how do i arrange man force?

Please provide some inputs as I feel like, I am getting lost here.

Thanks
OB
Hi Twy
Wow, look at your place! It’s fantastic
My hubby has only just finished all the concreting. Phew, took him four+ years lol. We just need to tile the dog washing station and I can now do the back yard
You and Hombre have done an incredible job. I need to back-scroll more to go see the progress. It’s so satisfying to do your own work
My husband would have liked to have built the whole house but he’s too slow, it would never finish.

I’m so impressed with you.

PS It’s TomCat (Mandy) in Adelaide — Simmons Avalon. I forgot my login!
Barloski
Hi Twy
Wow, look at your place! It’s fantastic
My hubby has only just finished all the concreting. Phew, took him four+ years lol. We just need to tile the dog washing station and I can now do the back yard
You and Hombre have done an incredible job. I need to back-scroll more to go see the progress. It’s so satisfying to do your own work
My husband would have liked to have built the whole house but he’s too slow, it would never finish.

I’m so impressed with you.

PS It’s TomCat (Mandy) in Adelaide — Simmons Avalon. I forgot my login!
Hi Mandy!!!
It’s been so long! Great to hear from you. You and your hubby have done also a lot of jobs yourself in and around the house. It’s not easy especially when doing things not full time. I sometimes wish we are already done but oh well, I guess nearly there. Just a few things more to do.

Hope you guys are well!

1st_HomeBuyer
Hi Folks,

I need some help. I am starting my journey as a owner builder. I have a lot of questions but for now, I only want to ask 1 big thing.

Question 1 -

Ex - we all know that there are N number of tasks that one has to do as an OB. From where do i arrange people to complete my tasks? Like for plumbing how do i arrange plumbing company? Like that for all the tasks how do i arrange man force?

Thanks
OB
Hi,

What are your reasons behind doing OB? Is it to save money by doing most jobs yourself? Or is money of no object and you just want things done your way all the way, you can chop and change a few things as you go, etc.

We did OB because my partner is a tradie and with the firm plan to do most things that we could ourselves. Also, he knows other tradies. If you don’t know anyone, you would have to do a lot of research and rely on reviews for each tradie that you need. He also used stuff everywhere in the house that otherwise would have just gone to the bin. But also some we had to buy.

It’s been an experience for sure. You have to have a lot of patience. In our case because we have done and (still do) most things, a lot of hardwork as well.

Retaining wall
!!!! Need to finish laying the pavers, clean up, level and fill soil before we can lay some grass.

Paver from Bunnings

Helped Hombre carry 93 gutbuster pavers.

Despite the rain these last 3 days, managed to finish the walls!

twylamc
1st_HomeBuyer
Hi Folks,

Question 1 -

Thanks
OB

Hi,

What are your reasons behind doing OB? Is it to save money by doing most jobs yourself? Or is money of no object and you just want things done your way all the way, you can chop and change a few things as you go, etc.

We did OB because my partner is a tradie and with the firm plan to do most things that we could ourselves. Also, he knows other tradies. If you don’t know anyone, you would have to do a lot of research and rely on reviews for each tradie that you need. He also used stuff everywhere in the house that otherwise would have just gone to the bin. But also some we had to buy.

It’s been an experience for sure. You have to have a lot of patience. In our case because we have done and (still do) most things, a lot of hardwork as well.

I went down the OB path as I was building in a remote rural location and I could not find any builders that were interested in my project.
Our backyard. Still a few things to do like re-roofing the little shed, painting the verandah posts as well as tiling it and cutting the fence straight and putting caps on it. Love it!

Mondo grass plants alternating in black and green between the pad and the screen

The side of the house before and after. Still
not quite finished but massive change already. OH built two garden beds. We plan to put a rainwater tank as well here.

Ducted Reverse Cycle Airconditioner installed. We went with Mitsubishi Electric.

Airtouch4 Controller

As above
double post
Related
You are here
Building ForumOwner Builder Forum
Home
Pros
Forum