Join Login
Building ForumEco Living

Environmentally friendly cleaning products

Page 1 of 2
This is something that has always got me- we dont have to spend heaps to have a eco friendly house hey

After doing some general research I found out that we can use bicarb and water for just about any cleaning. Add white vinegar to foam it up and remove dirt. So my wife has been trying it and its working ok- the only thing is it is a little labour intensive than like a spray and wipe etc.

Anyone else use this before? What do you think of trying to go cleaning product free- is it doable? Is it clean?
Hi guys

I use white vinegar and bicarb, also eucalyptus oil is a natural germ killer too, a small amount in hot water, brings the floors up a treat and makes the house smell amazing

there is websites that give you non chemical cleaning tips
Lemon, orange and grapefruit are winners
Speaking to my German colleague, things like ENJO are very popular over in Europe. They are much more averse to chemicals. I now use a microfibre mop, a drop of eucalpytus oil and water to do floors. Is is also kinder to our worm based septic system.
I have always been skeptical of the old wives tales like vinegar and bicarb. I think people would struggle to tell the difference in effect compared to plain water. Water is actually an excellent solvent. But it works even better with a bit of soap or detergent mixed in.

My Mrs has the hots for a steam cleaner. They start around $900 so not cheap but if they live up to all the marketing hype they sound pretty good.

Does anyone have any experience of them?
Detergents attach to the water molecules which attach to the dirt.

Microfibre does a similar thing.
Enjo cleans the shower screen free of water scum which most chemicals fail to do properly.
Its also an excuse to let hot water soften my back for 2 min more..
i'm not into cleaning thing but i have suggestions here. try it maybe it can help. at least you can use spray bottle not just scrub.. hope it will help.

HOME MADE CLEANING PRODUCTS

All-Purpose Cleaner
1/4 cup borax
1/2 gallon hot water

Mix all ingredients in a pail until dissolved. Apply with a spray bottle, and wipe clean with a rag or sponge.

Window & Glass Cleaner
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1 quart warm water
Spray Bottle

Mix well, spritz on windows and use a soft cotton towel or newspaper to clean.

try this one too http://environmentallysafecleaningproducts.net/.
The oils mentioned are new to me- I will definitely try Eucalyptus for the floors. Thanks!
russell
I have always been skeptical of the old wives tales like vinegar and bicarb. I think people would struggle to tell the difference in effect compared to plain water. Water is actually an excellent solvent. But it works even better with a bit of soap or detergent mixed in.

My Mrs has the hots for a steam cleaner. They start around $900 so not cheap but if they live up to all the marketing hype they sound pretty good.

Does anyone have any experience of them?

Yeah there are some in my family who feel exactly the same about bicarb as you- they think it is pointless. But from what I have noticed if you add the vinegar to the bicarb if foams up and loosens all the dirt etc with the chemical reaction. Bicarb seems to have been used for 1000's of years in one sort of cleaning or another.
mhayah
i'm not into cleaning thing but i have suggestions here. try it maybe it can help. at least you can use spray bottle not just scrub.. hope it will help.

HOME MADE CLEANING PRODUCTS

All-Purpose Cleaner
1/4 cup borax
1/2 gallon hot water

Mix all ingredients in a pail until dissolved. Apply with a spray bottle, and wipe clean with a rag or sponge.

Window & Glass Cleaner
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1 quart warm water
Spray Bottle

Mix well, spritz on windows and use a soft cotton towel or newspaper to clean.

try this one too http://environmentallysafecleaningproducts.net/.

Thankyou for this suggestion- I know you said you were not into cleaning much but just a quick question....

Do you know what Borax is? Is it natural and not harmful? Not sure and was wondering before I try these great recipes (and cheap!)

Thanks
johnnyrie
Do you know what Borax is? Is it natural and not harmful? Not sure and was wondering before I try these great recipes (and cheap!)

See Wikipedia for the info.

As for natural cleaning products, I use cloudy ammonia for persistent grease, mainly around the kitchen. It pongs, but lifts fat better than all commercial cleaners.

Chris
I have a spray bottle containing a squirt of detergent topped up with water. Works for almost everything. I used to put in a splash of ammonia, but I ran out and it didn't seem to make a difference so I didn't bother getting more.

Most bacteria have evolved to live within a certain pH range. Vinegar is antibacterial because it changes the pHof whatever it comes into contact with. I soak the potty in a vinegar solution, simply because it's non toxic and cheap.

Vinegar is also anti-fungal, but only in the right proportions. I've read that too weak a solution just feeds the mould; too strong and you pickle it!
See http://www.mould.com.au for how to use it.

The fizzing that comes from bicarb and vinegar is actually just the neutralisation process at work. So by all means, use the combo if you think the fizz is going to help move some dirt, but if you want the grittiness of bicarb or the antibacterial properties of vinegar, better to use them individually. Good fun for kids though!

I also have one of those white microfibre eraser thingos. I use that to get off very hard to remove stains on white laminex.

And last of all, I have a spray bottle with just water. I have been using this for years, ever since I discovered my BF had been using my plant misting bottle to clean the stove, thinking it was some sort of cleaner.

I had to laugh recently. I was wandering round the display rooms of our kitchen cabinet makers and I was utterly perplexed at this cage thingamejig in the cupboard under the sink. I finally decided it was some kind of safe. But it seemed an odd place to put it ... "It's a chemical safe, luv" was the reply, "You put all your cleaning stuff in it."

It was nice to be able to tell the guy that I cook with almost all of the stuff I clean with.

e.
I just use wool wash for the windows.

For the kitchen I use Ammonia and dish-washing liquid, phosphate free.

Ammonia is a natural product, its just a bit toxic to living stuff just like alcohol and methane.
Have a look at Soapnuts from one of our Homeone members

http://www.footprintecostore.com/Soapnuts.html

Available mail order
Natural soap from nuts. Nature has everything! Who needs coles...

Saponin?
Isn't there a native scrub tree the locals use for making soft water? Something about the bark rings a bell...
I have had chemical free house for around 4 years.

I replace the shower and kitchen cleaner with a vinegar/water spray first (1:3)

Then I was given an Enjo mop for all my flooring, and that just uses water.

I started buying a grey water safe dishwashing detergent, and my hands don't get that horid dry feeling afterward.

My last was the washing detergent. I found the grey water safe ones too expensive and didn't do the job. But soon a 'water way' safe product came on the market in a bulk tub, which I find cleans really well and I know I am not contributing to water polution.

I use vinegar as a softener for my towels, it also cleans your machine. Breaks down the soap scum.

Another vote for Eucalyptus oil. Great for getting sticky stuff off as well.

I don't have alot of use for bicarb. I have sprinkled it in the toilet bowl. I then spray over the top with vinegar and scrub. A little squeeze of lemon (I have a million on my tree) and a dash of eucalypt and I know it is germ free. Also research has shown that toilet cleaners break down the porcilen(?) finish and make certain things 'stick'. I definatly find my toilet looks cleaner for longer than when I used toilet bowl cleaners.

I have noticed that I can barely walk down the cleaning aisle at the supermarket now. My eyes water and my nose runs. My sensitivities to chemicals must be weakening, but at least I know that all those things will be staying there on the shelves and not in my house.

Cleaning this way is cheaper and more eco friendly. Another bonus is with cleaning residue you will find dust/dirt has less to stick too and you will clean less.
I am cleaning buses ATM (don't laugh it pays ridiculously well) at night so I can attend TAFE.

I have to use a bus solution which is basically non foaming nuclear degreaser.
I also have to compete with other cleaners who care not about it and mop mud into the clean buses. (Yes you did put a mop on the floor, no its not clean)

I have replaced window wash with wool wash.
I have replaced surface cleaner / disinfectant with Orange solvent. (nothing survives) This also cleans graffiti off plastic at near to the same rate as thinners. (Yep I need strong stuff because the world is full of miserable ****. If you ever see a guy tagging the train, push him out! No one will care...)

I mix coconut oil and vanilla oil into a tee tree soap solution and use this for the hand rails, touchy surfaces and bins. It smells like Nag Champa and our buses are now growing dreadlocks.

Given the location if our younger clients started being hippies and stopped being mindless bogans I would care not...
There are some great eco friendly products out there which are good and do not cost more money, I use ecostore products which are really good and while they seem a bit more expensive, they last longer. They have a good cream cleanser which i use to clean the shower not so much elbow grease!
[quote="sheznay"]I have had chemical free house for around 4 years.

My last was the washing detergent. I found the grey water safe ones too expensive and didn't do the job. But soon a 'water way' safe product came on the market in a bulk tub, which I find cleans really well and I know I am not contributing to water polution.
quote]

Which one was this? DH has a lot of chemical sensitivities, so w're on the lookout for a good one.
Related
24/02/2024
Kids friendly options for exposed aggregate patio

Flooring & Floor Covering

After some ideas on making our patio kid friendly . Currently we have exposed aggregate. The patio faces west and is always in sun even though it has a shade directly…

20/06/2023
Gutter cleaning tools for concrete tiled roof.

General Discussion

No, I even have sections of narrowness where the tiles won't slide up any further. When I manage some spare time, I might play around with the first DIY part of my…

2/05/2024
Cleaning

Outdoor Living

Yep, efflorescence as mentioned above. You could look to clean it with a "acid" based cleaner and then seal with a penetrating sealer. This may not stop it entirely but…

You are here
Building ForumEco Living
Home
Pros
Forum