Join Login
Building ForumEco Living

Total solar/wind power

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I asume some of my answers to thins maybe answered in other posts bu thought this maybe easier, sorry, so please bear with me.

We are looking at building on a rural block and going totally solar powered (maybe wind aswell?). It is mostly due to the high cost of having power connected (over $60000).

So is solar power reliable?? Any major problems? It has been suggested the we have a back up generator for the aircon, any ideas on this??

We are still at the early stages of planning and research (haven't brought the block yet) and would really appreciated and information.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Tina
You would have to look at a power storage system whichever way you choose which can get expensive as you will need efficient ones and they will not release all the power they store as the it's not a 100% reversible reaction in power storage systems (usually rechargable batteries) and over time they will degrade, meaning more energy losses and replacement costs. Also when there isn't sun, you don't get power (so think about night and rainy days, how will you get power? Will the storage system hold enough if you had 5 days of dark, rainy days for night usage and day usage? That is where they get expensive). A few universities are doing a fair bit of research into more effective energy storage systems but who knows how far that will go? Usually when anything comes good out of them they get bought out. There was an absolute fantastic study on pretty much the most efficient way - for both energy, materials and cost - of solar power use (to boil water into steam to drive a turbine) by a particular Australian university and a particular prominent oil and gas company in Western Australia bought it out for a large sum of money and stopped the work. The lecturers I worked with in renewable energy are still so angry about that. Anyhow, back onto topic - if it does get released, unless there's demand it won't be anytime soon. The same applies to wind as with solar power - if there's no wind there isn't power. However, if you live in a naturally windy area (eg. Geraldton in WA), then wind is more consisent than sun, and storage requirements won't need to be so height. But I don't know about their use for one property. I've only done research into large usage and haven't looked at anything remotely small enough but Eco might know - he's got an excellent knowledge base for efficent house design. DEFINITELY ask him if he doesn't reply. Also, wind turbines (the size I looked at) are expensive to make, and neighbours (even in rural areas) don't like the noise or think they are ugly, which is why they are not prevalent. Australia actually has so many windy areas and could make so much usage out of them as they are very efficient but no one wants them in their backyard (I don't know why, I LOVE the look of them
Imagine looking over a field of them
So beautiful.... But I don't know if other's share my passion for engineering). I'm guessing if you could put them in for one house at a reasonable cost, you would have to get approval from those around you. If you don't mind sharing the power, a more cost effective solution would be to still be connected to power, and during sunny days, let the overload power go back into the circuit (so the utilities pay you) and then take power from it when you need it. Overall, from the community perspective, it's the most energy efficient solution as there is a lot less energy loss than with the current storage systems. Another cost effective solution is to use other methods to reduce power needs first, and then use renewable energy to make up for it. Like use Solar hot water systems - they are more efficient to heat your water than using electricity to heat it. Design your house to need cooling or heating as little as possible - there's endless information on that online. Well positioned eaves (in certain areas, they can be made at certain lengths to shade sun in summer over the windows and let it come in during winter), positioning your house facing north, positioning of windows, plants, etc. Every little bit of power you don't need is less you'll need in energy you make, and less you'll need to store if you use a storage system.

Eco will probably give you more practical advice, I'm probably very confusing becuase of my background in Chemistry and Engineering, so I've looked at the theoretical side of power sources and broad use of them for medium to large cities as part of my studies than useage for one household. Like I said, if he doesn't reply, definitely contact him.
Thanks heaps for all your info. I was pretty much what I thought. That the technology hasn't caught up yet (or gets stopped), which is a huge shame, but anyhow.......

Yes we had planned on making the house as energy efficient as possible, therefore cutting back on the power we need. We may still look at incorporating solar to some extent, but doesn't appear to be a viable proposition for total solar power. Defiantly will be going solar hot water, my parents had solar hot water on the house when I was growing up and it worked great!

We pulled out of buying one block 12 months ago because of the power cost (over $100K
), so maybe we need to choose the block closest to the power lines

Thanks again
Tina
Obviously it's possible, and at that sort of cost for lines to be run it becomes feasible alternative with zero power bills for many years until the batteries need replacing. So it's not free really.

But you need to be prepared to modify your living habits to suit the power systems capabilities - ie dishwasher on at midday, washing machine on at midday etc.

And your batteries need to be well looked after or you will kill their longevity from anything like 10 to 15 years down to 5 if you abuse them.

Do you sums - look at your lifestyle and then decide if your prepared to do it.

But hey - it's nice knowing that leaving the lights on is not costing you anything from the power company
and blackouts are a thing of the past - unless you over use your own power systems capabilities.
Thanks for that. We will be doing alot of research before we decide anything, but I get your point. Yes we would have to look at our lifestyle and how we do things.

Not sure as we will soon have 2 kids under 18 months! Lots to think about and find out. Someone did suggest having a diesel generator for the Aircon and as a back up for any other times. But once again we need to do some more research.

Thanks
Tina
If you are 'remote' then you will have to pump your house water...
Pumps chew heaps of power on start up...
Have a header tank and gravity feed the house...also emergency water for fires n stuff
Wind power the pump to the header tank ie like the old days with a windmill.
If you get allot of wind start a company - get a loan from a bank (for the company - someone else's money- you entrepreneur you) and put in an order for a 36mw tower. ($2.050 mil) Pays itself back in ten years then its $1200 a month profit after expenses. (unless you have 2 million of your own money to fund it)

But realistically you should not need more than $40k for a 3kw 20AH supply and the best advice I can give you is build the house right if you have not already done so. If you have is it properly insulated and heat protected? The bulk of your savings start right there. The less efficient the house the more it costs to run..

You could halve this cost using multiple generation systems. Solar - bio gas (a 40,000lt tank full of **** and blended organic pulp eg lawn clippings) and wind energy.

Only the pv system is the costly one. You need at least 4.5kw which is around 8 to 10 panels. 1 panel = $1800 from ebay. (make sure its new)

Bio gas is the cost of a concrete tank or plastic tank = $8k to 10k and a small diameter pipe. Yield is around 30% WV A small 2kw ceramic catalytic converter (mentioned on another thread) would do that nicely. Just you poop from a week would give you enough gas to power a house for a full day. Something to research and consider but you will be on your own. MINBY's and council stasi groups panic at a GAS and HOME ENERGY in the same sentence oh and wind turbines 10 stories high

Wind is cheap - very cheap. There are plans on the net and you tube groups for a 24 volt 3 phase system you can build yourself in a week. The magnets are $600 and the rest is scrap materials.

For backup grab yourself a diesel motor from a wreckers, reco it and drop it in a hole. Use diesel of chip oil of you can get it.
A small 4 cylinder diesel is good for 2kw idle and 6kw at 6000 rpm. (not including the generator which can pump 1.4 kw as well through an inverter).

Deep cycle batteries are costly but alternatives exist.
A Toyota forklift bank will give you 36AH @ 80 volts. They cost $6,000 but recharge faster and have a high working capacity. These things really are work horses. Somewhere between deep cycle and grunters. These would give you plenty of juice. Just don't use machinery after dark.

A small walker bank (4 x 6v 30AH batteries) are $4,000

The best value are golf cart batteries, they have less AH but higher peak loading or "grunt".
They are smaller and easier to manage IMHO. they cost $230 each new and are deep cycle but not as high performing as 2 volt 40AH $400 acid cells of which you need 24.

As for air con. A tank of water in the ground and a pump sending it through the ceiling and walls would use just 32watts. Assuming a 3 meter head.
The ground is 17 degrees - water always wants to be 4 degrees (equilibrium) so the temp will be somewhere in between. Only works with good insulation. Your freezer is using the same method, the coils are behind the plastic. It would take days to heat the water up to useless (assuming its a big tank and is fully underground)
Something to consider..
Related
7/04/2024
XCEM Alphafloor vs Hebel Power Floor Subfloor option

Building A New House

Would also like an opinion from anyone that has used xcem over hebel for floors. Thanks

3/02/2024
Cooker now power after boil over

Kitchen Appliances

get an electrician to check and repair before you kill yourself

19/03/2024
Help! Relocate neighbouring power line

Building A New House

Our relationship with the owner is good, but I'm not sure if I want to impose putting a pole on their property. Your conversation with your neighbour must have gone well…

You are here
Building ForumEco Living
Home
Pros
Forum