Join Login
Building ForumEco Living

Rainwater Tank Wet System - DWV outlet

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I'm now having an issue with our rain water tank wet system.

I just noticed there was water coming out from the white dwv cap next to my rain water tank. I tried to unscrew it and found out the water pressure was quite high underneath. I have attached a picture for the 100mm dwv cap.

Just wondering if it's normal? Is the water pressure from the charged downpipe system to force water into the tank? Which means I'll just need to buy a new dwv cap fitting to seal it and stop the leak.

Or do I have a clogged outflow pipe and need a plumber to fix it?

Many thanks

I assume that the pipe next to it is a vertical riser (inflow) pipe. If so, the capped pipe might be someone's idea of a charged system's inspection opening/flush outlet. I can only guess at this one.
SaveH2O
I assume that the pipe next to it is a vertical riser (inflow) pipe. If so, the capped pipe might be someone's idea of a charged system's inspection opening/flush outlet. I can only guess at this one.

Yes the vertical riser inflow pipe is right next to it. It looks like an inspection point. So is it normal that there is full of water in it?

A large amount of water came out when I opened it.
It will be part of the charged system and water in the downpipes will be the same height as the tank's vertical riser. Every 1 meter in a water column generates 9.82 kPa pressure.

Because a standard wet system divert downpipes and the stormwater system is altered, the small capped riser may once have been an inspection point on the annexed original stormwater system. 100mm DWV pipes are sometimes used for stormwater and charged systems, they are certainly much more robust than the thin 90mm pvc stormwater pipes.
SaveH2O
It will be part of the charged system and water in the downpipes will be the same height as the tank's vertical riser. Every 1 meter in a water column generates 9.82 kPa pressure.

Because a standard wet system divert downpipes and the stormwater system is altered, the small capped riser may once have been an inspection point on the annexed original stormwater system. 100mm DWV pipes are sometimes used for stormwater and charged systems, they are certainly much more robust than the thin 90mm pvc stormwater pipes.

Thanks for your help mate
Just revisited this thread by accident.

Stormwater pipe regulations factor a 1:100 year storm event to facilitate the pipework having to also accept surface drainage and water from silt pits that ag pipes connect to, The cover may be capping a previous stormwater surface drain that was left connected in case the wet system ever blocked so that access would be more readily available rather than having to dig up the paving. Using it as a flush outlet would be messy.
Related
9/11/2023
Rainwater tank - screaming sound

General Discussion

Grate, thank you! RexChan if thats the reason i could sleep well without thinking about additional cost. But 1st i'll need to read about NRV cleaning/replaing stuff. I…

6/06/2024
New home build: Heat pump HWS instead of Rainwater tank

Building A New House

Also at the bottom of page 4... ...and from 28 November 2023 a heat pump water heater, gas boosted solar water heater or electric boosted solar water heater can be…

13/02/2024
Charged Rainwater System Design

General Discussion

Once you know the basics, the rest is easy. Read my post in the thread linked below. viewtopic.php?p=1919271#p1919271

You are here
Building ForumEco Living
Home
Pros
Forum