Join Login
Building ForumEco Living

CFL vs Halogen downlights

Page 2 of 3
Casa2
Hard to tell what wattage it is. They mention 18W halogen,but it's a CFL!!!!!

More info is on the distributors website. You need to download their product catalogue at http://havit.com.au/doc/HavitCatalogue2009-2010MED.pdf
digga123
I just called Nelson Industries and they have no knowledge of a 22w CFL downlight.
wake_me
Can anyone confirm? 22W GU10 CFL would mean the end of halogen d/l's.

I will ring my contact on Monday and let you all know.

Casa2
digga123
I just visited another local light shop and discovered this downlight kit. They told me it was very new. Only come in about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.buysterlighting.com.au/Havit ... V1204.html

Hard to tell what wattage it is. They mention 18W halogen,but it's a CFL!!!!!

You are right it is a CFL, I have one sitting on my desk. The only issue I have with it is that the lamp is 110mm high. Once fitted into the gimble and with the lamp holder on it is 135mm high. On the plus side it fits into the standard gimbles But you may have to undo the lampholder so it can reach the top of the lamp.

Here is the link for the 18w CFL lamp only ...

http://www.buysterlighting.com.au/Havit-Lighting-HV9022-HAV1214.html
The 18W light is long. Would be hard to fit into lower floor ceiling cavity. I can see merit in moving the electronics to a separate module - it reduces the lamp length and keeps the electronics away from the top of the lamp where it gets very hot and the lamp life becomes more like 1,000 hours rather then the claimed 8,000 hours.

It will be interesting to find out what the lumen output is for the 18W CFL.
Still about 8 weeks away for the Nelson 22w CFL. No more info available at this stage.
hawks
Still about 8 weeks away for the Nelson 22w CFL. No more info available at this stage.

Keep us posted hawks.
Hi Guys ,
have a look at this web site
www.hafele.com.au
once there go to the Online catalogues and look for the reflections lighting catalogue ,this can be downloaded and is only about 2 megs.
Keep you eyes open as I was showed a new 9 watt Led ceiling light that is 95 % as bright as a 50 watt halogen .There is a Led driver and this can run one or two lights .
It is only 18 watt driver .
Remember most of the high power led`s are run on 700 m/a and these will not work with old halogen transformers as they will blow the led`s immediatley.
This light is a complete ceiling fitting .There are two types one with a gimble for commercial and a fixed version ( 5 * Star rated for new homes )
Enjoy and hooray for LED lights .

Contact Hafele if you need any other info.
Couldn't find the 9W LED.
The new 9 watt light is not in the catalogue as yet.
AS the driver is being tested for c-tick approval.
When approval is assigned ,then we can get this lamp.( c-tick and number ) and Safety certificate is granted.

I will keep this forum informed about the progress.

There are many lights to use from the Hafele cat that work well with 12 volt Solar.
Hi

Does anyone know if those 22W Nelson lamps have been released yet?

My partner's just changed the downlights in the kitchen from Megaman 11W CFLs to those Havit 18W CFLs and there's definitely a noticable difference. He's having trouble getting hold of more of these lamps as allegedly they've just been discontinued and are to be replaced with a 15W CFL?

Thanks

MissLotus
Hi. The Nelson GU24 kits have are available now. They come in 20W and 15W.
I replaced 6 50W GU10 halogens with 6 20W Gu24s and they are actually brighter!!
Nelson Industries, Vic should be able to you where to purchase.
fusionrr
Hi. The Nelson GU24 kits have are available now. They come in 20W and 15W.
I replaced 6 50W GU10 halogens with 6 20W Gu24s and they are actually brighter!!
Nelson Industries, Vic should be able to you where to purchase.

The chatter a while back was the release of these new CFL's is this what people are waiting on?.

I will try and make inquires on Monday, but if anyone has anything to add ie. pricing and light levels it would be much appreciated.

Cheers Michael
Update from my local light supplier and confirmed by Nelson NSW office. They have told me Gu24 units are still 2 weeks off from being released with a price tag of $48.00 per unit.

Fusionrr can you update us on your place of purchase and cost per unit paid,thanks.

Cheers Michael.
I found these on eBay, and am planning to install them in about a month or two if progress goes as planned with the house I am building.

I have 9ft cielings, and have chosen CFL's because of the reduction in electricity and the ability to cover them with blowin insulation (though i might expose the very top). Any advice?

Cut and paste of the product below

18w ECO FRIENDLY FLUORESCENT FIXED
DOWNLIGHT KIT

Cut your electrically costs by using these 18w Eco Friendly FLUORESCENT Downlights, They use 1/3 the power of a standard 50w halogen globe and last up to 4 times as long.
The light output is equal that of a halogen globe and these globes use the same size frame that your normal down lights use.
Best of all these globes connect straight to 240v so these is no need for a transformer.
**42% Brighter then the 13 watt versions**
Cutout is 70mm
Diameter is 80mm

About the Globe:

• FAST START - Reaches 80% output is just 4 seconds
• 10,000h Life
• 42% Brighter then the 13w version
• Saves 80% Electricity
• Reduce heat by 70%
• Last 4 Times longer then halogen globes
• High output reflector
• Produces a soft light
Hills Guy
I found these on eBay, and am planning to install them in about a month or two if progress goes as planned with the house I am building.

I would strongly advise against this product. I purchased 4 of them a couple of months ago to replace halogen downlights. I had 2 globes die on me within 1 week and then another 1 was slowly dying. At this point I ripped them out and put the old halogens back in.

The company that I purchased them from refuses to refund me so unfortunately I'm now stuck with $100 worth of light fittings that will never be used.

I have some more bad news about these lights but I'm sure I've said enough to change your mind.
Thanks for the advice

I was going to purchase a whole house worth. These forums really pay off.

PS could you PM me the other bad news you have heard?
Hills Guy
Thanks for the advice

I was going to purchase a whole house worth. These forums really pay off.

1. I was told by a local lighting shop that they had a lot of cfl downlight globes returned because they were faulty. This is in-line with my experience.
2. When you switch the lights on it is hard to see anything clearly for a minute.
3. You would need to install double, maybe triple the amount of light fittings compared to halogen downlights.

I really don't think the technology is there yet. The best option in my mind is an energy efficient halogen downlight (35w), like the one manufactured by Osram.
The technology is there.

It's just the users expectations haven't changed yet
I was at a home sustainability training course last week where there was a large discussion about CFL replacements for existing Halogen downlights. The consensus, including electrical tradesmen, seemed to be that the current CFL's are okay if you don't mind lower light levels but expensive, and a lot of people who fit them, hate them due to the lack of light that is thrown from the distance of roof to floor height (ie OK for under cupboards in kitchen). They think most people would be better off waiting for newer types still coming to market but not far away. Apparently new CFL and more particularly, LED replacements are coming, probably next year, that will fit existing fitting holes, throw much more effective light, and are much cheaper than existing CFL replacements. But I'm no expert - just passing on information - so please be nice to a newbie!
Quote:
But I'm no expert - just passing on information - so please be nice to a newbie!

...but your user profile has a link to a sustainability website and you are a sustainability assessor?
Hi all
giving this is in the 'eco-living' sections, can I just say that downlights mounted in the ceiling are terrible from an environmental perspective. Under australian standards, you must allow a clearance around the downlight fitting, irrespective of whether it is CFL, halogen, LED. This means you have created penetrations in your insulation and enough of them will reduce the insulative effectiveness by 50%.

If you are looking to replace downlights (other than ones over the kitchen bench) you should replace them with batten fix or pendant lights, mounted below the plasterboard. This way you can insulate over the top as well as reduce electricity usage. I have just done this in my house. It also allows the CFLs to throw more light as they mounted within the room, so your overall lighting / lumens should be similar.

I paid $13 each for most fittings plus the globes.
Related
You are here
Building ForumEco Living
Home
Pros
Forum