Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Advice on new home - full automation setup

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Currently planning a new build and want to fully integrate the smart automation from the start.

I currently have a mix of wifi enabled devices that I've been playing with. With a mix of HomeKit and Google Assistant testing. Leaning to google home for voice control, but it's the hardware I'm at a loss with.

Any recommendations on how to setup a smart home from scratch?

At this stage I know I'll need the following - keen for anything I've missed!!

- Switches build into the walls (not like the hue portable battery ones)
- lights will be a mix of bayonet and downlighting - currently have a mix of hue and lifx
- Smart power switches to control various devices (using Kasa currently)
- Curtain control (Assume a mix of rolled blinds and curtains)
- Skylight blind control (not sure if velux skylights can be opened via automation?)
- heating control (sensibo?)
- door locks
- window open sensors
- motion sensors
- fire/CO2 sensors
- cameras (have an arlo pro HD system atm)

I can't figure out how I can get a wall light switch that can control say a Philips or lifx bulb that alps knows if I've voice activated the light - is it possible?

In regards to the whole house system... do you simply buy a range of devices that are wifi/google compatible and take it from there? Or is there a hub that I should be using and managing it that way? I honestly have no clue and need some direction.
From network security as well as general stability standpoint, all your smart devices have to be programmed with specific firmware such as Tasmota, which will allow them to be connected to a standalone server in your home Wi-Fi network (eg Google Home Kit running on a Raspberry Pi-based device).

Also, keep in mind, that you can only have limited number of Wi-Fi devices per network (usually not more than 250), therefore, if you plan to have more, you would need to use advanced mesh routers and configure them with a special DHCP mask.

And yes, you don't need Hue/Lifx lights if you use smart switches (they are over expensive and you very rarely require to control each specific light separately).

For light switches, curtain control and thermostats, check out Zemismart range (they are SAA approved for Australia, too). For the sensors, check out various options at Alibaba/Aliexpress, e.g. Sonoff has few of those. Generally, all Tuya/ESP 8266 based switches and smart devices will work well with Tasmota.
alexp79
From network security as well as general stability standpoint, all your smart devices have to be programmed with specific firmware such as Tasmota, which will allow them to be connected to a standalone server in your home Wi-Fi network (eg Google Home Kit running on a Raspberry Pi-based device).

Also, keep in mind, that you can only have limited number of Wi-Fi devices per network (usually not more than 250), therefore, if you plan to have more, you would need to use advanced mesh routers and configure them with a special DHCP mask.

And yes, you don't need Hue/Lifx lights if you use smart switches (they are over expensive and you very rarely require to control each specific light separately).

For light switches, curtain control and thermostats, check out Zemismart range (they are SAA approved for Australia, too). For the sensors, check out various options at Alibaba/Aliexpress, e.g. Sonoff has few of those. Generally, all Tuya/ESP 8266 based switches and smart devices will work well with Tasmota.

Thank for the info! The Tasmota looks quite extensive, but unfamiliar to me. I'll do some research to get up to speed - do you have any websites/resources you recommend?

Does one raspberry Pi have a limit on how many devices it can control? Am I right in assuming that one tasmota server will host all Tasmota devices and that server will be configured to google HomeKit?

I would assume that having a series of downlights (for example) on a smart switch would reduce the network load to one device (the switch itself) which would be helpful. Are the switches generally wifi, or wired? I've been reading a lot of references to a neutral wire for smart switches - what is that for? If they're wired, is it essentially cat6 cabling to a network switch that connects to the Tasmota server?

Cheers!
Wiggs7
alexp79

Thank for the info! The Tasmota looks quite extensive, but unfamiliar to me. I'll do some research to get up to speed - do you have any websites/resources you recommend?

Does one raspberry Pi have a limit on how many devices it can control? Am I right in assuming that one tasmota server will host all Tasmota devices and that server will be configured to google HomeKit?

I would assume that having a series of downlights (for example) on a smart switch would reduce the network load to one device (the switch itself) which would be helpful. Are the switches generally wifi, or wired? I've been reading a lot of references to a neutral wire for smart switches - what is that for? If they're wired, is it essentially cat6 cabling to a network switch that connects to the Tasmota server?

Cheers!

Also looking to go down the same home automation path, using a smattering of different products from Zigbee, z-wave and wifi connected smart devices.

Think I'll tie everything together using Homey, and integrating into Alexa for voice control.
Related
8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

28/03/2024
Full Brick Double Storey 38Sq House Price Estimated?

Building A New House

Hi Kristy Around $1.7-1.8m or around $4,600/sqm. if you PM me your email I will send you a break up in a spreadsheet so you can get an understanding of the costs for…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum