Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Foxtel pre-wiring

Page 1 of 1
Has any one did foxtel pre-wiring? more particularly for a double storey home with lounge room downstairs under the first floor?

OR those who got it done later in a double storey - Would it be too hard for foxtel guys to install cables from between the floors space to access the inside wall?

Any ideas/suggestions...please...We are building soon and want to move our foxtel connection over...

Thanks pple

....Jo
We will.... but no-one else seems to have bothered...

We will have phone lines installed as well with the payTV points because apparently you need them...

Our place will be single storey.... but I've lived places before where the installation was a drama..... it was just something that could be done with the rest of the wiring....
I'm probably getting ripped off but it's one less drama to worry about when we move.

Jo
I'm also getting it done - I don't mind paying $100 through PD if it means one less thing to worry about later on
Yep, just ask your builder to add payTv point into your electrical plan... They will charged you around $90-100 for a single point..
Thanks.
We too are going to get pay tv point inside the house but my question was around - do we need to get wiring done from the main foxtel point inside the house (say from theatre room) to ouside so the foxtel installation folks can pick it up easily and not cause any dramas later.

My main concern is what if the foxtel installation guys say that they can't install in the theatre room (internal wall) as they can't access roof space between two floors? Is it advised to do pre-wiring ??

Thanks - Jo
Hmm I'd be interested to know this answer to - I never thought of that?
Any ideas/experiences?? Please share... There must be someone who did foxtel pre-wiring or had setup foxtel in double storey and had something to share...come forward
jojo2009
Thanks.
We too are going to get pay tv point inside the house but my question was around - do we need to get wiring done from the main foxtel point inside the house (say from theatre room) to ouside so the foxtel installation folks can pick it up easily and not cause any dramas later.

My main concern is what if the foxtel installation guys say that they can't install in the theatre room (internal wall) as they can't access roof space between two floors? Is it advised to do pre-wiring ??

Thanks - Jo

What do you mean "from the main foxtel point to the outside"?

Foxtel will cable from the street all the way to your TV for a new installation. There is no main point other than where they might enter your house. Do you know where that will be?

All the cabling in our neighborhood is overhead currently, so everything comes from a pole to a fixing on the front corner eaves.

For the new house, we'll probably try to make this part underground, but we we may still have to use a pole. Either way, we'll have cables from that entry point to a distribution box inside the house somewhere. From that box will be cables to each room. Then we can connect Foxtel from that distribution box to any of the points we put in. We'll put in several cables from the street to cover cable modem access, multiple Foxtel, etc.

Does that help?

Greg
I meant for double storeys would it be a good idea to put some wire in from outside (near eaves or whereever) to the proposed distribution box area (ie. theatre room internal wall) as later it might be hard to do wiring inside the internal walls of a double storey house? The space between floors is very limited and the foxtel installation guys might say we can't access your internal walls of ground floor so we will put the distribution box to one of the external walls ???
In that case, I'd say definitely.

Regardless of where the entry point is on our house (underground, 2nd floor eaves, first floor fixing, etc) we will have cable from there to the distribuition point inside the house, and cables from the distribution point to every room in the entire house including the 2nd floor.

We'll do two cables from the distribution point to every room so we can have pay and over the air at the same time in any given room.

Greg
We too want to do it but I guess we need some experienced hand to tell us how and if there were any problems/issues in getting it done
is it just normal low loss coaxial cable?
FireFox
is it just normal low loss coaxial cable?

Yep, RG6 Coax will do fine.

Greg
jojo2009
OR those who got it done later in a double storey - Would it be too hard for foxtel guys to install cables from between the floors space to access the inside wall?
....Jo

do you mean between 1st and 2nd floor ?

If so, do not even think about it. If something goes wrong it won't be possible to trace/replace/repair cable ...

Cables have to go from under the roof down the wall cavity. If it is internal wall make sure you drill at least 22-25mm holes in noggins.

We do Foxtel prewiring if you any any questions please feel free to PM me.

Setup is also depends if you will be getting cable or satellite.

Cheers
I spent quite a bit of time planning all the pre-wiring for my new house and carefully researching as home automation seems to be a constantly moving target!

Now for Foxtel:

Firstly, you should first call them up to find out if your areas is serviced by street cable or satellite. This is important if you are distributing Foxtel around your home and using splitter systems as you need to know where to place your entry point for the Foxtel engineer. Street cable configurations typically require the entry point to be at the side of your home toward the front since this is where boxes are ususally mounted. For satellite configurations, entry point should be where the dish will be mounted, this is generally the north facing roof of your home. Leave around 1.5 metres coiled in your roof for the engineer to work with.

Secondly, if you want to be compliant with FOXTEL HD your standard 1 x RG-6 (coaxial) cable to each room you intend to put the decoder will not do. Foxtel mandates that you will require 2 x RG-6 cables plus either a telephone connection or internet connection. The two RG-6's are needed for the high definition digital signal and the telephone/internet connection is required to order from box-office. For the communication I have used CAT-6 (CAT 5/5e will do) since I have installed a home network with an Ethernet hub and Clipsal StarServe to distribute telephone and TV.

Foxtel have pretty good documentation on pre-wiring your home on their website, check it out at at http://www.foxtel.com.au/FactSheet.htm

Hope this helps!
Mr Ed
Secondly, if you want to be compliant with FOXTEL HD your standard 1 x RG-6 (coaxial) cable to each room you intend to put the decoder will not do. Foxtel mandates that you will require 2 x RG-6 cables plus either a telephone connection or internet connection. The two RG-6's are needed for the high definition digital signal and the telephone/internet connection is required to order from box-office. For the communication I have used CAT-6 (CAT 5/5e will do) since I have installed a home network with an Ethernet hub and Clipsal StarServe to distribute telephone and TV.

Foxtel have pretty good documentation on pre-wiring your home on their website, check it out at at http://www.foxtel.com.au/FactSheet.htm

Hope this helps!

If it is cable or optic fibre (like my estate) then you don't need to run 2xrg6 cables. It is only satellite you need to run that so it can pick up both horizontal and vertical signals.
Here is some info from Foxtel on Pre-Wiring

https://www.foxtel.com.au/support/Getti ... ALONEDWELL

https://www.foxtel.com.au/support/Getti ... #subtopic1
wakeboardandy
Mr Ed

Hope this helps!

If it is cable or optic fibre (like my estate) then you don't need to run 2xrg6 cables. It is only satellite you need to run that so it can pick up both horizontal and vertical signals.

or you can have a centeral spot in the house where all the wiring goes to (pre wire) and then distrubute later on to which ever rooms need which even service.. for this each room would need to have 1 x RG6 and at least 2 x Cat5e/6 runs.

you can get devices that work form a central location and can mix cable/ satellite and FTA into the one cable (RG6)
Hi I really like this tread, the information is most valuable, in my case the TV coaxial connections is supplied by my builder and I want to know how it differ from the foxtel and satellite dish coaxial cable.
I will plan to have either Foxtel or satellite dish connection in future. Can I use RG-6 (coaxial) for either of these?

Cheers PS
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

2/08/2023
Pre-build landscaping considerations

Landscape & Garden Design

Ideally you would engage a landscaper to give you some insight what they may need in the space to make your vision come to life…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum