Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

In-Ceiling Speakers or B&W Surround Sound?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys!

We recently moved into a new house and I am renovating everything I can get my hands on. Next on my list is the theatre room.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want but some things are a bit foreign to me - namely speakers.

I had an idea to install in-ceiling speakers rather than use regular surround sound. The thing is I know very little about sound. My husband said we should go for regular B&W or Kef surround sound since the sound is obviously amazing.

They do not seem to have in-ceiling speakers though since it is a bit more of an audiophile brand. What I was wondering is whether there are in-ceiling speakers that will be able to provide the same amazing sound or if this is just a dumb idea?

I Googled a bit and found a list of in-ceiling speakers that seem pretty cool (especially the Bose) but the prices are much lower - which brings me to the conclusion that they must be lower quality.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you!
The idea is that sound should come towards you, from in front and behind. This is why the better brands don't do in ceiling, because then sound would be pointing down.

You can put those in ceiling speakers in the wall, and that would maintain the clean hidden look you are going for yet get better sound.
The problem with in-ceiling or in-wall speakers is that the enclosure (the ceiling space or wall cavity) is rarely uniform, sound quality can vary greatly. Normal speakers have defined enclosures so the sound it always as the manufacturer intended. The trouble with normal speakers are wires and the fact that they are always in the field of view.

You only mention surround sound, so I presume this is for a speaker setup around a TV. So what are you doing for the main speakers for this setup? What about sound in the rest of the house?
arcadelt
The problem with in-ceiling or in-wall speakers is that the enclosure (the ceiling space or wall cavity) is rarely uniform, sound quality can vary greatly. Normal speakers have defined enclosures so the sound it always as the manufacturer intended. The trouble with normal speakers are wires and the fact that they are always in the field of view.

You only mention surround sound, so I presume this is for a speaker setup around a TV. So what are you doing for the main speakers for this setup? What about sound in the rest of the house?

Hi mate. You can definitely get B&W ceiling speakers. I had them at my home in Sydney and they were great. The guy I buy all my stuff from, who does custom installs recommends in ceiling speakers for surround. I bought them from a hifi place at botany in Sydney. My set up is B&W floor standing fronts and large B&W centre and integra amp. We sold the house and the ceiling speakers stayed with the house as we will just buy some more if and when the new house is built.
Here is the place and one example of a speaker.
https://audiosolutions.net.au/product/b ... aker-each/
I have done this recently. I would go for Klipsch speakers they are the ducks guts of speakers, I have an onkyo a/v receiver also. Do your research for speakers and speaker placement. I mucked mine up rushing in as I roof mounted the surrounds and I have 2700mm high ceilings so they are basically useless. I have a zoned system so installed some in the alfresco area they are selb brand and they sound exceptional for the price.
Research the room and acoustics very closely before attempting mine was a rush job and research later I would change alot if I could.
arrow224
This is why the better brands don't do in ceiling.

Lol. Gotta love forums.
Related
5/01/2024
Pool surround gardening

Landscape & Garden Design

Looking for some advice on pool surround planting. We have roughly 500mm wide garden bed around the edge of our pool. Depth of the bed is only around 250-300mm to top…

8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

13/06/2023
Sound Proof Modular Fence recommendations

Outdoor Living

Hi We have a road close to our place and only an old flimsy wooden fence between us and the Neighbour closest to the road. Any ideas on a sound proof modular fence. Like…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum