Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

my theatre in construction - update (with PICS!)

Page 1 of 1
back from the site today. Theatre is coming along nicely.

Tiered floor has been installed. My bulkhead is complete except for the trapdoor for the projector and the front of the bulhead being plastered when it shouldn't be (should be open for the projector to shine through)

you can see the ends of the cabling that I installed at frame stage, including 13mm conduit for future proofing. I got a bit carried away with speaker cabling. There are 6 rear speaker runs, front mains have two runs of speaker wire for bi-wiring if I ever decide to do it and a run of co-ax if I ever decide to go for active mains (and centre) and since I have two subs there is both active and passive (co-ax) for each of them in the front left/right corners. Projector is currently wired with 5 x belden co-ax with true 75 OHm connectors at either end.

The room is on a separate power circuit to the rest of the house and the room is insulated with soundcheck batts and plaster.

The door is solid core. I was originally going to do for a fire door which has even better sound proofing qualities but it was going to be more than $600 extra.

The room will be painted either Dulux Dark Door or Dulux Maximus which are the two colours closest to absolute black. Carpet colour will be dark too. I'm finding it difficult to choose carpet for this room that has a really low sheen that won' reflect a lot of the light from the screen. I saw a nice black one today with a gold spot pattern than had a nice theatre quality.

(you can also see our front door in its temporary home at the front of the room!)

WOW, impressive set up!

What size screen are you going for? What are the cut outs for in the back wall? speakers perhaps?

Can't wait to see the final set up! You should look into where the cinemas get their carpets, i've seen some wonderful ones with stars woven into them...just stunning...you room would definitely pull it off IMO.

Well done!
**Phoenix**
WOW, impressive set up!

What size screen are you going for? What are the cut outs for in the back wall? speakers perhaps?

Can't wait to see the final set up! You should look into where the cinemas get their carpets, i've seen some wonderful ones with stars woven into them...just stunning...you room would definitely pull it off IMO.

Well done!

Thanks

The screen will be 110" diagonal (just shy of 2.5m wide). Not sure where the cinemas get their carpets. Will have to have a look around. Have seen some decent ones too. biggest thing will be making sure that its dark enough when watching.

The cutouts are the windows! As there is an external wall I believe that standards require that the room has windows.

these will be blocked out anyway.
pasey,

It looks great. I look forward to seeing the finished product. You've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but how big is the room?

What's the door-sized opening on the left in the first picture? If it's a door, I've got bad news for you, they bricked it up

I'm finalising my theatre design and was hoping you'll be able to help me with some dimensions.

Are you planning two rows of seating? How high and deep are each of the stepped platforms? Are you planning to carpet along the steps in the raised platforms (always wondered how to do this nicely)?

Cheers,
Casa
Thanks Casa.

The room is about 4.8 by 6.2m less the plaster etc. The most important thing in theatre size design is to avoid having a square shaped room!

i can't recall the exact riser height. I know I specced it but now I can't find it. anyway - its a normal step height. Platforms are 1500mm deep each.

It will all be carpeted. I spoke to the carpet places and they all felt perfectly comfortable that it could be done with normal methods. I suppose it would be the same as carpeting a staircase.

there will be two rows of seating and probably bean bags at the true floor level. i have a couple of funky 'Hugh and Me' bean bags that i bought a while back just for this.

The door size opening is just a bit of the external wall where it meets the studwork. For some reason they've removed the plaster there - obviously they'll have to replace it.
Nice room dude.

I take it you either already have all of your gear or you know exactly what you're getting (eg. you already know the throw distance onto a 110" screen of the projector that's going into that bulkhead). I lose all of mine in 5 weeks

Share, share.
yeah - all the gear is pretty much what I already have. I may decide to go inwall for the rears though. We'll see. Throw distance has been measured. Its a fixed throw distance projector so it had to be perfect!

i haven't been able to use my projector for more than 18 months which is just criminal. So glad to finally get a HT back in a couple of months when the house is done.
Related
10/06/2023
Construction Delayed - Calculation of delay.

Building A New House

Hi, My home construction is complete, and the handover is scheduled next week. However the construction has been delayed and I have raised this to the builder. The…

20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

2/09/2023
Builder suspended construction, demanding cost increase

Building A New House

How are you doing Ben? Extremely interested in hearing what you are doing or plan to do!

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum