Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Buider forget 2nd data point

Page 1 of 1
Hi all i deperately need some advice, my builder offered me x2 data points as standard inclusions. Somehow the 2nd data point was missed and when it came up i was told the electrician could not install the 2nd point because the internal walls were already up grrrrrh

Anyways after standing my ground and saying i need the 2nd point installed i got an email saying its been done. My question is regarding the method used. Basically they told me that they have 'patched' the 1st data point in the home theatre and then ran this into the lounge room where the 2nd data point was meant to be. Is this the correct way to install a 2nd data point? I would have thought both data points would have their own cable run seperately to the nbn box in the garage where it would terminate?

My home is due to be completed in the next 2 weeks and i would dread it if the internet were not up to speed. The house in question has some kind of nbnco white box in the garage and is a basic setup if this helps

I have no clue when it comes to all these devices i just want to be able to enjoy a good internet connection for music and videos also my son likes to play online
Sounds like they have just looped off the first point. This is pretty normal for standard networking done in volume houses unless you specify home runs. Is the point in your garage just the connection point or is it where your router is located?
there is a nbnco box in the garage from there the wall plate says phone x1 and data x1 ports

in my house there is x2 location for telephone and meant to be x2 data points

from what i can gather they want me to plug my router into the first data point and then from there plug it back into the 3rd port which runs into the lounge room where the original data point was meant to be.

sounds dodge to me.... when they say x2 data points i would have thought that meant x2 seperate runs to the garage

might need to invest into a better setup to my exact needs once im in and have settled in
I agree that's not really two data points that you contracted for. They simply extended one. I doubt they will be ably to install a full run though without tearing into the walls/ceiling or running something outside the house.

CD12JD
Hi all i deperately need some advice, my builder offered me x2 data points as standard inclusions. Somehow the 2nd data point was missed and when it came up i was told the electrician could not install the 2nd point because the internal walls were already up grrrrrh

Anyways after standing my ground and saying i need the 2nd point installed i got an email saying its been done. My question is regarding the method used. Basically they told me that they have 'patched' the 1st data point in the home theatre and then ran this into the lounge room where the 2nd data point was meant to be. Is this the correct way to install a 2nd data point? I would have thought both data points would have their own cable run seperately to the nbn box in the garage where it would terminate?

This does sound worrying. You should have two runs , direct from the nbn location in the garage to the rooms where you want the outlets.

Is your construction full brick or brick veneer with internal stud walls? Do you have other complications such as internal cathedral ceilings?

Running additional cables shouldn't be too difficult.

External walls are easy; simply run the cable through the cavity between the external brick and the frame. Wall insulation can make it a bit trickier but it shouldn't be anything a professional hasn't dealt with before.

Internal walls can also be tricky; but as long as there is room in the ceiling cavity, extension bits can be used to get through any timber blockers. Worst case, a couple of small holes in the wallboard can be required to get the cable down and these are then patched and painted; on a new house within fresh paint you won't even see this. Yes; it will cost the builder for patching and painting but it was their stuff up.
TheBigHouse
I agree that's not really two data points that you contracted for. They simply extended one. I doubt they will be ably to install a full run though without tearing into the walls/ceiling or running something outside the house.

Tearing of walls is not needed to run data cables

Get a long yellow tongue from bunnings and keep running them through the wall and roof cavities and drop it to the point you want and then make a small whole where one can see from top a light coming through so u can point to that and other person can pick it up

Its easy once u get hang of it its easy 2 run 20 points in a house.

You make assumptions with what you are saying. I have installed cables for years, its not easy. Totally depends where the datapoint is needed and how much room there is. In a single story it's more possible towards the centre of the house than it is near the eaves. That is depending on roof space and ceiling design (ie cathedral). In a double story it's not really possible to run internally for the ground floor without cutting holes. In places with no insulation it's easier but you still have location with limited space. You are also forgetting about noggins between the studs and you are not getting past those without a really long drill bit and a lot of space I the ceiling.

Also, installing your own data cabling is illegal; You need to be a registered cabler with a data cabling endorsement.

Also, I saw from your other thread that your house is double story; this does make it much harder.

Having one run from the garage to a point in your house and then a second run from that point to somewhere else may work for you, though.

You can use the run from the NTD (NBN box) in the garage to get the Internet to your modem, which you locate at the point with the two connections and then use one of the LAN ports on your modem to connect to the second connection.
TheBigHouse
You make assumptions with what you are saying. I have installed cables for years, its not easy. Totally depends where the datapoint is needed and how much room there is. In a single story it's more possible towards the centre of the house than it is near the eaves. That is depending on roof space and ceiling design (ie cathedral). In a double story it's not really possible to run internally for the ground floor without cutting holes. In places with no insulation it's easier but you still have location with limited space. You are also forgetting about noggins between the studs and you are not getting past those without a really long drill bit and a lot of space I the ceiling.

There is always a small space for a cable to pass thru the noggins no need for long drill

Please refer to new construction standards not the "for years" standards.... u can always drop or pick from wall hole up to the roof ....cables tied to a yellow tongue and i think i have practically done a few not assuming ...

sajidmib
TheBigHouse

There is always a small space for a cable to pass thru the noggins no need for long drill

Please refer to new construction standards not the "for years" standards.... u can always drop or pick from wall hole up to the roof ....cables tied to a yellow tongue and i think i have practically done a few not assuming ...

sajidmib
sajidmib
TheBigHouse

And a final nail in coffin, thats how it looks when finished and I have numerous

But for home use I would suggest not more than 10 would be needed

Tips: Buy a wifi controller or a modem watever that is industrial level like Ubiquiti UNIFI AC Pro $235 which I got from the shops fixes all your problems of wifi dead spots infact you can start a local wifi spot business and configure it to 10 seperate networks ....

That should fix all the connectivity, theatre and bandwidth issues on internal network.

Cheers

So do you reckon my 50 connections is a bit of overkill?

Nice!

You planning on adding POE for IP Cameras?

NAS?

Where are you hiding all this?
AJW

AJW

AJW

AJW

I would not blindly say its overkill if you need it you need it, but generally Wifi is pretty strong with new Wifi routers, and that would be enough for normal household, unless its working or business in home for you. 50 is surplus but you might have planned for future I required 10 even that is more for me I would just have it for theatre and Security cams and thats it.
GLO
Nice!

NAS?

the NVR for the Security cams comes with POE the switch can't do much about it unless you want the NVR to connect to switch and run cameras via switch which is a bit of config, while the former is a plug and play
sajidmib
GLO
Nice!

NAS?

the NVR for the Security cams comes with POE the switch can't do much about it unless you want the NVR to connect to switch and run cameras via switch which is a bit of config, while the former is a plug and play

Where is your central location?

Behind the fridge, opposite internal garage entry or under the stairs?

GLO
sajidmib
GLO
Nice!

NAS?

Where is your central location?

Behind the fridge, opposite internal garage entry or under the stairs?

Hi GLO

I am planning to have central location in WIP which is next to Internal garage entry.

as Garage might get hot during summers to maintain the temps of the equipment, I have to keep it in cool place and place rack or cabinet over a shelf as I would not drill holes in walls.

Thanks
Hi there.... unfortunaetly due to the poor weather i still havent been handed over the keys.... Ive decided to not cause anymore further delays by bringing up my issues with there so called 2 data points.

Quick question for those that can understand this whole nbn setup. Now if i wish to ad a data point upstairs or even 2 how do i go about it as i think my equpment wont be good enough. If i wish to run another 1 or 2 runs seperately not like how this electrician did what do i need to change in the garage? I can see all the nbn equipment which im assuming will connect 1 cable from the nbn box to the port on the wall that says data.... How do i get extra data points to connect here at this location because i only have the one entry port into the house?

Will this mean i need one of those hills home hubs? Im so confused but i can see the limitations from the nbn box to the connection into the house... Even better can someone reccomend a person or shop that can explain in laymans terms what i need to do in order to have a good setup fit for purpose

thanks in advance
AJW

Nice! Beats my 42+ port setup
... what are your use cases?

sinbox

Nice! Beats my 42+ port setup
... what are your use cases?

Sinbox I believe you're building with Porter Davis as well, how did you go with getting them to put in 42 data points? We have 4 as part of an upgrade to our Opticomm pack but when I asked about putting in more I was told that wasn't possible. I don't know if that's got anything to do with us being in an Opticomm area or not, I wouldn't have thought so though?
Related
12/07/2023
Prewiring a House for Data, CCTV, and Future-Proofing

Building A New House

Scientists have used random matrix theory to demonstrate theoretically that the neutrino mass hierarchy can be explained mathematically. When a substance is fragmented…

17/01/2024
Data Points

Building A New House

If you're referring to Eufy homebase, then just put a switch between a datapoint and put the homebase elsewhere near another device in your home unless you want teh…

18/08/2023
Sewer Inspection Point

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi, I have this sewer inspection point sitting in an odd spot in the rear of my yard: https://imgur.com/ghLI98q What I'd like to do is put a firepit in that corner of…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum