Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Need help for internet/paytv setup

Page 1 of 1
Hi
I am not familiar with this topic at all, so i need some advise from the homeone member
The land estate is going to provide optic fabic, so i am discussing with my builder of what need to be done during the electrical appointment and they actually replied that they are not sure either..
What i am thinking is, they need to setup a main switch (properly in garage) and install a conduite and wire into it
Is this sound correct?
And inside the house, do i need to setup something else?
I am not sure (if fabic does available) how it can connect into the house for internet or phone or paytv? So that’s what i am asking?
Currently I have 1 phone point and 2 TV points
Optus said that they will not have ADSL or cable available in my area and has to go wireless, but when i mentioned fabic, they said i may properly get ADSL, so am i needing another phone point?
And should i still prepare for cable internet (if, by any chance it can support through fabic)? I called Telstra as well but they said they cannot confirm until i move in
And for foxtel, do i still need the builder to pre-install the foxtel point? Or i can save this prep work, and later on, just ask foxtel to come and activate and it should be able to pull via the fabic?
I hope this make sense to everyone
Thanks in advance
Look forward to the response on this one as we are in a fibre optic cable area also and have no clue what to do!
claego
Hi
I am not familiar with this topic at all, so i need some advise from the homeone member
The land estate is going to provide optic fabic, so i am discussing with my builder of what need to be done during the electrical appointment and they actually replied that they are not sure either..
I hope this make sense to everyone
Thanks in advance

As far as I can tell from what you telling us is that it will be either fibre to the node (FTTN) or fibre to the home (FTTH). In the first case, you will pick up the signal as per a normal copper (phone) line and you will get ADSL/Cable TV through that. On the other hand, you have FTTH, the optic signal will come through to a box at the front of your house which will convert the signal back into the respective Cable TV, internet signals etc. In that case it will be similar to a breakout box which will lead the cables into your home.

If it wasn't clear what you need to do during your electrical appointment - treat it like a Foxtel installation. That is, have cables and wires going to the places you would want them to be. So if you want internet, have the LAN cables installed with jacks in the rooms you want, going back to a central router/hub which will be connected to the breakout box/signal from the street.
You will only know for sure if ADSL is available after you apply to one of the providers. There is no way to guarantee availability beforehand.

If ADSL is available then you can hook your router or computer(s) at any phone outlet. If you share the outlet with a phone of fax then then phone / fax will need a line filter. They cost about $12 each. So if you're planning to get ADSL then just put a couple of phone points in likely places.

But also remember that if you have a wireless router then you will probably be able to make do with just that and have a wireless network feeding any computers in the house. Some people don't like wireless. I run a two-room wired network and a wireless router to two other computers in the house. Pretty straightforward really.

As for cableTV, installation is always part of the deal. You tell 'em where you want the outlet and the installer puts them in. In my last house installation was major hassle with three people working most of the day - but this was still covered by their standard installation cost. If I was independently putting it in it would have costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

So I think it's crazy to pre-wire your house for cable when Foxtel/Optus/Austar will do it for nothing later anyway.

A final word of warning: fibre does not mean you are getting a superior - or even a decent - telecoms connection. It is worthwhile reading through this FAQ and then asking some pointed questions about your estate:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 47062.html
joeygbh

As far as I can tell from what you telling us is that it will be either fibre to the node (FTTN) or fibre to the home (FTTH). In the first case, you will pick up the signal as per a normal copper (phone) line and you will get ADSL/Cable TV through that. On the other hand, you have FTTH, the optic signal will come through to a box at the front of your house which will convert the signal back into the respective Cable TV, internet signals etc. In that case it will be similar to a breakout box which will lead the cables into your home.

If it wasn't clear what you need to do during your electrical appointment - treat it like a Foxtel installation. That is, have cables and wires going to the places you would want them to be. So if you want internet, have the LAN cables installed with jacks in the rooms you want, going back to a central router/hub which will be connected to the breakout box/signal from the street.

Most of the estates should have the requirements of the lead-in conduits, the services cabinet and location within the property. Depending on the estate this could also include the type and make of security system and smoke detectors installed in the house.

Joeygbh has covered the rest of it very well.
Cabinfever
So I think it's crazy to pre-wire your house for cable when Foxtel/Optus/Austar will do it for nothing later anyway.

I agree - with one exception. We ran two lengths of coax for Foxtel from the ceiling space to the ground floor as we are in a double storey house. Didn't want the Foxtel installer buggering up our nice new walls!
Thanks all
i think i should setup the LAN cable for internet and an additional phone point just in case... cannot live without internet... it is one of the most important things in the house
For the pay tv, may be i just wait until after handover...
I am still not sure if i want to sign up paytv, it is mainly for sport anyway and my DH loves to watch it in the pubs with his buddys anyway..

Will look at the link with more info and go back and check with the developer

A lot of research to do!!

Thanks
Related
8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum