Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Home theatre room help!

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone!

We're building a new house and currently at the stage where we're tweaking the room plans a bit.

I was unsure what to do regarding our home theatre.

Originally I was going to leave it as is and put in double 700mm solid doors to the opening after handover. Cavity sliding door not an option as it is not as soundproof. We are thinking of installing soundproofing in the internal walls.

TV will be on left side sharing same wall as ensuite. Couch on the opposite side.

However, after looking at some couches online, I realised some couches (i.e. From Plush) are about 1050 deep.

My problem is the wall is only 850!

What are your opinions on this? Should I make both walls longer, resulting in a smaller opening. Should I have one wall longer than the other? Should I leave it and hope that the couch sticking out 20cm won't look too bad? If I change the opening, should leave it as a double door or one large door?

I'm not really keen on having it as another bedroom with another 820mm door... Unless I delete the door altogether which will mean no soundproofing....

Right now it will be a theatre room. Undecided if I want to change it in the distant future to a rumpus room or kids play area where I can attach a baby gate and watch them from the kitchen/living area.

Thoughts please. Thank you

I would do a single door. Better for noise than double doors...I would think. Perhaps centre the door on that wall. Just wondering...are you intending to only have one couch or a theatre type setting?
Quenda
I would do a single door. Better for noise than double doors...I would think. Perhaps centre the door on that wall. Just wondering...are you intending to only have one couch or a theatre type setting?

That is true about the single door. I think I just like the thought of having double doors
and the option to have the doors open to make the living area even more open

It will just be one L shaped coach. Maybe a large square ottoman in the middle if we want to make it feel like a couch-bed.
The 1400 openinng will accommodate 2 x 670 doors, which is as small as you would want to go if you have two doors the same size. Bear in mind that if have the doors closed, you'll wan't to be able to get in and out by opening just one door, rather than unbolting the 2nd just to get through. You could make the secondary door small than the primary one though.

I'd be comfortable moving the door a bit to one side, as the room won't be fitted out symmetricallly anyhow.

The main thing I'd watch is where the doors go when they are open: whether it will be convenient to use the room while the doors are open, and whether the doors opening get in the way of the furniture.

If you open the doors outward, hinged to 180 degrees with niches for the handles, then you should overcome most of those issues. But you'd still want to work out which is to be the primary door. If that's the one closer to the couches, you won't want the couch intruding into the access.

Edit: rather than use a niche to hold the handle, it'd be neater to use recessed door handles, so the door can swing back flush against the wall, and not have a handle protruding.
The double doors would certainly give you a more open feel in the house.

My thoughts are to what you may want to use the room for in the future. Could it become another bedroom, or is that not in your thoughts at all? If there is any chance it will become a bedroom then I would opt for a single door.

I have a large family area here where the TV is...no theatre room. I do have a lounge room with a single door. This is my quiet room with recliners, laptop,tablet but no noise making things...
You may find in a few years this room could become your quiet room...
Moved to Home theatre sub forum
Just stick with a single door, double doors will let too much sound out.

Put in acoustic insulation in to all the walls if you can.

If you are going the projector route, I'd look at putting in a smaller window in to the room.
I'd put in one 920mm wide door.
Related
22/02/2024
Living room help

Interior Decorating Lounge

Can anyone help with the layout of my living room, it seems that no matter what I do it never looks right. I have an awquard kind of l shape with 2 doors, bay window and…

27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

18/08/2023
Tv Fireplace placement in large lounge room

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, My first post, we are building a house and can’t decide the layout of the lounge room. We have a large N/W facing window and are wanting to have a wood slow…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum