Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

clipsal starserve video - StarServe 8073/8VHPIR

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I am process of KDR. Reviewing the electrical items.
The builder uses clipsal for their electrical requirements.

Thinking of having 5 tv points in the house
3 downstairs
HT/lounge/rumps
upstairs
master and rumpus.

looking at the clipsal options
they have a starserve video
StarServe 8073/8VHPIR
http://www.clipsal.com.au/trade/__data/page/81/C98.pdf

Has anyone installed this in supports 8 outputs of FTA tv signal.
Trying to get people's opinions good/bad alternatives may be limited as the builder only uses clipsal.

Planning to add 15 about cat5e/6 cables throughout the house terminating underneath the staircase and put a 16 port switch in in there,

thanks
The problem with the StarServe modules is that they are designed to go into a StarServe enclosure, which will cost you $300+. I would get the builder to run the coax cables to the ceiling space and leave plenty of spare cable then get a good antenna guy in post-handover to install the appropriate splitters and amplifiers.

You could also check whether the Clipsal exclusivity is only for powerpoints/switches etc - if they include an antenna then I would presume they subcontract it and I would surprised if the subcontractor used Clipsal exclusively.
Please don't run your coax to the roof. Run it to a centralised location in a hub with a power point near by. Data to be run there as well. No need for a star serve box.
Hi Ugly,
I use a Clipsal 8 out amplifier with cabinet (see my blog link) and it works well and keeps it neat and tidy. I went a bit overboard and put TV points everywhere. I would recommend using a small rack/cabinet for your data points and patch them to your switch all in the same location of course.
All comes down to personal preference. if your building a home and are going to have Fox, Data, FTA, Phone in many rooms a good Idea is to use a Starserve solution allowing all your cables to run neatly to a centralized hub, adds value to the house aswell and also if you chose to wire every room up it saves time and hassle post-build when you decide you want this and that in other rooms.

Builders and many Contractors use Clipsal because it's become a standard in the industry and is of good quality.

Either way, having your TV Coax Cables run to the roof and getting an Antenna guy to just put a splitter there will work too, all depends how you want to do it and what appeals best to you, but by the sounds if it since you want Data and quite a lot of points too, it may be worth Smart-Wiring the entire house once and for all so every room is equipped.
Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. We have a star serve box in our garage and looking at getting foxtel. Was wondering, are we able to run an RG6 cable from the foxtel box (which will likely be installed in our media room) back to the star serve, into the mod input without one of their modulators, and then get that signal sent to the other ports in the house?

I've been reading this website but it seems to tell me I can't as foxtel needs two rg6's but it only talks about satelite and not cable. http://www.cleverhome.com.au/manuals/Cl ... -Guide.pdf
I had the Clipsal Starserve for years in last house. I did all the cable runs and wall plates and had a tech fit off in the hub. The system was great for video, foxtel, data and phone in every room. I am not putting it my new house and am going to rely on mobile phone, wifi and just 3 tv points.
Quote:
I had the Clipsal Starserve for years in last house. I did all the cable runs and wall plates and had a tech fit off in the hub. The system was great for video, foxtel, data and phone in every room. I am not putting it my new house and am going to rely on mobile phone, wifi and just 3 tv points.

Do you have a cable diagram or similar to show how the foxtel was hooked up to the star serve, where the decoder was located and whether you could change the channel from multiple rooms?
The_Lalas
Quote:

Do you have a cable diagram or similar to show how the foxtel was hooked up to the star serve, where the decoder was located and whether you could change the channel from multiple rooms?

No I don't have a cable diagram. There was an infrared receiver in every room with the TV and that went between the TV av socket in the wall and the av signal in on the TV. So all the boxes were in one room and had connections from the boxes (DVD, Foxtel or any other box you have) to the hub then the av signal went to the TV's. There was a transmitter eye infront of the boxes infrared eyes. I was not across all the workings, but whatever remote you grabbed for foxtel, DVD player or whatever, you went to the room where you watched TV a or tv b or tv c etc and used the remote of the box via the receiver eye mounted with that particular TV. the av signal from all the boxes went to all the rooms tv sockets. It was complicated but the tech did all the tech stuff. I just did the cable runs to all the rooms. 3 cable runs to all the rooms from the hub - data, av and telephone.
goody59
The_Lalas
Quote:

No I don't have a cable diagram. There was an infrared receiver in every room with the TV and that went between the TV av socket in the wall and the av signal in on the TV. So all the boxes were in one room and had connections from the boxes (DVD, Foxtel or any other box you have) to the hub then the av signal went to the TV's. There was a transmitter eye infront of the boxes infrared eyes. I was not across all the workings, but whatever remote you grabbed for foxtel, DVD player or whatever, you went to the room where you watched TV a or tv b or tv c etc and used the remote of the box via the receiver eye mounted with that particular TV. the av signal from all the boxes went to all the rooms tv sockets. It was complicated but the tech did all the tech stuff. I just did the cable runs to all the rooms. 3 cable runs to all the rooms from the hub - data, av and telephone.

That sounds like exactly what I want to do. I've got the av signal to all rooms from the hub, sounds like if the installer can hook up the foxtel to the hub then I should be good to go. Cheers
The_Lalas
Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. We have a star serve box in our garage and looking at getting foxtel. Was wondering, are we able to run an RG6 cable from the foxtel box (which will likely be installed in our media room) back to the star serve, into the mod input without one of their modulators, and then get that signal sent to the other ports in the house?

I've been reading this website but it seems to tell me I can't as foxtel needs two rg6's but it only talks about satelite and not cable. http://www.cleverhome.com.au/manuals/Cl ... -Guide.pdf

Simple answer is no. With cable the frequencies are different to TV, so a TV splitter will possibly fitler out non TV frequencies.

Also if you read the document you linked to above even for Sat Foxtel the cables don't go into Starserve equipment, it goes into a 3rd party multiswitch but can clearly use the same wall plate.
Hi,

Yes it turns out it can't be done without a way to get HDMI to RG6. A converter looks to cost about $400 from jay car and even then I don't know if the signal will be distributed properly.

May just get an HDMI splitter and be done with it.
The_Lalas
Hi,

Yes it turns out it can't be done without a way to get HDMI to RG6. A converter looks to cost about $400 from jay car and even then I don't know if the signal will be distributed properly.

May just get an HDMI splitter and be done with it.

Yes you can get things that do this from the likes of Jaycar, but it is not Starserve!
Related
You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum