Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

What class amp do I need?

Page 1 of 1
Hey all

We built a house recently and I'm looking at installing some ceiling speakers for my alfresco.

I had the following inputs installed outside:

And this is the wire up in the roof (of which there are two):

I will be installing the following two ceiling speakers (unless someone can suggest better speakers) in gyprock and would like to keep to amp up in the roof (if it doesn't overheat?):
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-home- ... sku-31220/

I have no clue about what sort of amp I need for this so any help would be great.

Thanks!
I'm having a similar setup, although not a dedicated amp for the alfresco.

If you have a sound system inside and the area is adjacent to your alfresco, consider a 2-zone system.

My living / dining is adjacent to my alfresco. In the living I am having 7 speakers installed in the ceiling. 2 speakers also for my alfresco.

I'll be able to run the two zones together. I'm considering multi-zone receivers by either Pioneer or Denon.

The Cable Connection have a good range of speakers. Ask them for the advice though.
Those audio points are installed on the outside wall where I will be wall mounting a TV so I would like to connect the speakers to the TV. I'm getting a Samsung smart TV to run Spotify etc.

Thanks I'll check out The Cable Connection.
I wouldn't recommend an amp in the ceiling. Way too hot and dusty. Not sure if they come especially rated for that environment but at over 60 degrees in summer no amp will last too long. Why not look at some equipment mounted in a cupboard with ventilation. A simple rf control can remotely control a dvd, bluray etc and use a basic receiver. Good luck.

Perhaps I could run the amp from the overhead in one of the wardrobes if it definitely isn't possible to put it in the ceiling. The speakers are only going to be used for the outdoor TV so no DVD, bluray, home theatre etc.

What sort of amp would I use for this?
Anyone?
You could possibly go for some powered outdoor speakers - http://www.radioparts.com.au/product/39814290/studio6aw-6.5-active-outdoor-speaker-white-wintal#.UrImGOKOet8
That looks like the way to go!
Would still like in-ceiling speakers though so I'm looking at these:
http://www.radioparts.com.au/product/39 ... rJaHfQW3zg

Anyone have any idea what I need to do with the red cables I have in my ceiling? I can't figure out what they are or what the need to be connected to.
Id go with an amp. Mainly cos of running power to active speakers.

Do you have one at the moment?
No that's what I'm trying to work out. What sort of amp would I need to connect the red wires in my roof to so I can connect ceiling speakers?

This is the setup I'm after:
TV to audio points in wall using RCA cable
Audio points to amp via what the red cables in my ceiling are
Amp to ceiling speakers.

Amp would preferably go in ceiling or overhead of a wardrobe.
Re Amp - I'd go for something with more power than you currently need to run ALL speakers and gear.

Make sure it has modern fittings etc. And pick a good - not necessarily the top - brand. Look about for specials but never compromise the end product - which is the sound.

I've found the Sony Amp's OK.

Are you planning to run the whole shebang from the outside ?
I'll be running two speakers (maybe extend to four eventually?) that are to be connected to the TV outside. I don't plan on hooking them up to anything other than the outside speakers.

Can you show me an example of an amp that would be suitable? I still can't work out how the red cables in the roof connect to an amp of what they actually are?
Why not just go into a shop - eg Harvey's, etc - they have all the info. Don't buy cheap or second hand.

Just ask questions at any shop you're in and you'll pick it up. Then buy from the one's you like the best. Price isn't everything - but most of them match up. They'll show you the gear and explain it to you there and then. Much better than trying to get the info on here IMO.

You don't have to buy. Explain what you're after - and then go to a few shops. Even a few of the shops that sell only tech gear. They love talking about it. But don't be snowed into buying a "you-beaut" model you don't need. If its only 2 speakers you'd almost get by with a simple sound system.
rb759
Can you show me an example of an amp that would be suitable? I still can't work out how the red cables in the roof connect to an amp of what they actually are?

The pair of red cables will be left speaker and right speaker.

Each red cable will have a pair of wires to hook into your amp at the back.

The amp will power/drive the speakers.

Looks like since they're both red.. knowing which one is which will be part of the fun
My speakers were set up on a small shelf I'd made and attached to the walls. Brought the cables through ceiling and down wall (inside) then had a "plug". I then plugged the speakers into this. I could then remove them if necessary - ie they weren't hard wired. This was inside though.

But no reason why it couldn't be done outside.

I have a new system now - plugs not wire - but the old one that used a wire connection - you just pushed them into the appropriate slot. Odd if they are the same colour - but you just try them.
Related
11/08/2023
Class 3 rooming house Occupancy Permit Problem

General Discussion

I don’t think so as the floor area over 300 square meters then it is class 3….

15/12/2023
Getting home built - Is H1 class waffle pod slab ok?

Building A New House

The Soil classification has little to do with piers. The purpose of the classing of the soil is to identify the clay content and the "average expected range of movement…

20/09/2023
Zero Lot Issue & Need Idea

General Discussion

You must be new to the internet. You're also the only person anyone here has ever heard of washing their garage wall. I hate to break it to you, there are insects and…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum