Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

I am very new to this and need help.

Page 1 of 1
Ok so let me start off by saying at am the least tech savey person you would meet. I have a facebook page but don't know how to upload(or is it download) a photo. That's what your dealing with.

We are going to be building a new house soon(3rd time) and I keep saying I want a HT room but I have never done it. This time I will be doing it. I have been reading these forums for research and I keep reading about NBN and NSN and CBUS and CAT's and Dogs and all I have is a BT(brain tumor)

so here is what we are wanting to do and if anyone can give me any advise I would appreciate it.

We will have a dedicated home theatre room(4.5 x 3.6 mtrs)
We want to be able to have the rooms set up but have speakers set up to play music from the system in the alfresco area and possibly the main living area as well. Having 3 zones is not a deal breaker but 2 is.
We want to be able to play and run music off the ipad/iphone etc.

At the moment thats about it. We dont need anything over the top as far as tachnology is concerned. I don't need one of these systems where I am turn everything off and on from the touch of a button etc etc.

My main concern is what I need to do prior moving in. Previously I thought its just a matter of running a few speaker cables from where the reciever will be to were the speakers will be but everytime I open a thread people are talking about network cables and hubs and I don't know what it means and if I need it.

If anyone can offer any advice I would really appreciate it.
Maybe post a job on one of the service seeking websites and get someone to design & specify a system for you? I've used these online trade-seeking websites effectively for getting quotes on installation.

In my case I've selected and bought all the components myself. I'm just getting a professional to install in-wall speakers & projector in the home theatre. They are also working out positioning of speakers, projector, etc. I'm also getting them to wall-mount a large TV in the living area.

My builder just asked that I ensure that any tradies i organise just have any relevant licenses and insurance for the work they are doing. As I'm working with a smaller builder they're fairly flexible but my tradies just need to fit within the builder's schedule.
You say that you want to play and control music from your iPhone/iPad, so there a couple of options you can look at.

If your music is in iTunes then the Apple Airplay system could be a good fit. You can get plenty of receivers with Airplay in-built and the Apple Airport Express or Apple TV devices (which need an external amplifier and speakers) are only around $100. There are also a few stand-alone mini-hifi systems that include Airplay - these typically connect to your computer by WiFi. Some information on Airplay - http://www.apple.com/au/airplay/

The other option to explore is the Sonos system - http://www.sonos.com - this is good if your music isn't in iTunes but is a little more expensive.

Which ever system you choose you need to consider how you get the music from your computer to the playback device. WiFi is often adequate for music streaming, although many of the receivers with Airplay support only have wired connections, not WiFi (WiFi will probably become more common in the future). When building a new house some data cabling is probably a good idea - it is cheaper & easier to install before the plasterboard goes up and the chances are good that in the future you will want to stream video over a network connection to your TV and wired will always perform better than wireless for this.

You can use a single receiver with multizone support and just run speaker cables from its location to the external speakers. The advantage of this approach is that it is reasonably 'lo-tech' and inexpensive. The disadvantage is that it can limit your options in terms of different music in different areas. If you use the Sonos or Airport zone approach then you can play a different tracks in different areas.

Whichever approach you use to start with, you can always add additional zones through Airplay speakers or Sonos Zoneplayers (depending on which approach you take).
Thanks guys much appreciated
The downside to SONOS is how addictive it gets!
Related
30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

30/05/2024
I need the forum's help to find a new designer

Building A New House

I also notice that most the builds in Australia are really simplistic when it gets to the interior design and lighting design. Most of the builds are just offering off the…

6/06/2024
Need help fixing new veranda to existing shed

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, We are currently building a veranda off the side of an existing Olympic shed. Does anyone have experience with fixing through corrugated wall sheets. I am…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum