Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

I have a hub system but have no idea how to setup!

Page 1 of 2
Hi there!
Couple of weeks away from handover to the new house. I asked for some data points in the build and extra foxtel points. STUPIDLY
, wasn't really thinking about what my needs were, getting tight with budget etc. got a quote for data points in bedrooms, theatre and foxtel points which was $1800. This inluded a "hills" hub system which is located on garage wall. Again, stupidly, cables are cat5e not 6. Job has been done and install guy moved on so pretty much what I have is what I have to work with. No, I didnt research enough. I did a look through this hread and end up confusing myself totally
I have attached plans for reference and pic of hub system.
I have some rather basic, likely dumb questions and would appreciate some feedback if possible. Here goes:
-Does all my data, I.e modem have to go from this hub in the garage or can it plug from upstairs, 2 storey (for wireless router)?
-Same question for foxtel. Does have to be in the garage?
-Do I have facility to use the data in the theatre for streaming to other data points?
- From looking at the plans are the ANY suggestions on how to best make use of the limited set up that I have???
Many thanks, Mike
Hi

First, a couple of questions
1. What broadband will you have? ADSL or Cable Modem?
2. Are you in a Foxtel cable or satellite areas?

If you will have ADSL, then hopefully you have a phone socket at your hub.

Unfortunately it is a bit hard to see the detail at the top right in the photo of your hub, is that a phone socket?

If it is then you would locate your ADSL modem/router at the hub. You can connect the data points to the back of the hub and then any device on any data point can talk to any other; so if you have a computer somewhere with digital content on it, the TV In the theatre could access it.

If you wanted to send audio/video from the theatre to, say, a bedroom over the cabling then this will be more difficult because most systems to do this over Cat 5 need two ports and you can't use a port for data and AV extension at the same time.

If you don't have a phone line at the hub then you will either need to get one installed or locate the modem/router at a point where you have both phone and data, connect it back to the hub using the data cable and then install a small network switch at the hub to distribute data to the rest of the house.

Similarly, with the Foxtel, I can't quite read the marking on the plate, but it looks like there is a single cable to each location. If you have Foxtel cable then this is OK, but if you have Foxtel satellite then you really need two cables to each point for the IQ boxes.

Paul
Mike - From what I can make out, you DO need to locate your modem in this rack. From here, connect a switch (8 port to 12 port will do) and connect all other points to this switch. This will enable all points to be able to share the same infastructure

From here, you would plug in your shared storage (eg. NAS) for all points to have access to movies, music, etc

Regarding the Foxtel, this will prove more difficult. If you locate the box in here, you will need to also install an IR (Infra red) extender so you can change the channel
In my set up I patched the phone line from the hub to my study, placed my wifi/modem in study (most modems have a few extra ports). plugged in my cordless phone, PC's, a WHS and networked printer, then patched my LAN back to the hub (uses only two cables). Then in the hub I have housed a 8 port switch, which covers all the rest of the house. I stream all my music and movies from the WHS, eg can stream movies to a Telstra TBox now.
Thanks a lot for responses guys!
Paul, I am moving to a adsl/austar area! Bit of a change coming from Melbourne where I've had cable for a decade or so! Yes, that's a phone point in top right. I have no idea why the cable gets "patched" like that though. Maybe I need more info from builder but some parts of the wiring were done by different people, so don't really know if this terminates in phone point in kitchen area. Also, there is a phone point for alarm system in WIR or whether patched to both?
I can also see that the "hub" system does not have any of the same racks as the original hills system. Is it actually a hub system at all?
The only place I have DATA and phone together is actually at the hub.
Bit more info- telstra box is on outside wall of garage, I should get them to run the telephone line to the cabinet I presume?
Oh crap, two cables needed for austar?? That's not good news
. Is this required for receiving two channels, i.e. recording one and watching another?

Thanks for the explanation JMAP. To summarise what you have said, I should be able to?
-Attach router to network switch device, then cables from switch to all the data points.
-Attach a NAS to switching device also and share\control via data points?
More questions!!
A bit confused, I can't use the data cable for internet and data sharing at the same time (as Paul said) or does the switching device get around this somehow?
Can I setup wireless router from upstairs data point or has to be with modem?
If I can stream from NAS to data points, can I then send to other TVs via a\v sender?
What cable do I use to convert the data cable to a\v for TV?

I apologise if I am confounding people with my ignorance and sorry for the likelly stupid questions! I really appreciate the help

Note to anyone reading before build- Take note of my dilemma and do research or talk to someone who knows before saying yes to whatever is offered!!
Hi

You need two cables for the MyStar or MyStar HD. This is because these devices have dual tuners and they need to be able to receive both vertical and horizontal polarity signals at the same time. Don't worry too much though - Austar will do what the can to run new cable if required as part of the standard installation fee.

If you install your ADSL modem router at the the hub then you can have Internet access plus your internal network at all data points. Most routers have a built-in 4 port switch. If you need more than 4 ports active then you can add an additional switch - it just connects to one of the ports on your router.

A data port can be used for networking or with an AV over Cat 5 sender, but only one function at a time.

I agree, they have used a Hills cabinet, but not the Hills modules. I wouldn't worry though - the modules do the same thing and cost more.

Paul
I agree with Paul that your system is really just a star wiring configuration. So each bedroom for instance is ired back to here. I would think that this is the best location for your modem and router
Eww ...(this why I hate star serve/ hills home hub crap)

for $1,800 he saw you coming

for propper set up say 2-4 at each end and at more locations you woudl be closer to $4k mark

this is why people need to have a propper budget for networking and signal distro when building a house... other wise they end up with this Junk

without a better straight on photo of the "hub" i can only guess what the two in the upper right hand side do.. looks like phone line in too me.

as for nas's and such.. you will need to locate them else where and use 5- 8 port switches out at the ends of the "star"

you will need to put your adsl modem router in the hub, I wouldn't put a wifi one in there.. use WAP at a "central" location

also next time you post photos press enter between them...
I'm surprised they are just using a metal box with wall plates; why didn't they go with a proper data cabinet and patch panel, as they are not that expensive, and if they are 400mm deep or so, you can just rack mount your switch.
PHL
I'm surprised they are just using a metal box with wall plates; why didn't they go with a proper data cabinet and patch panel, as they are not that expensive, and if they are 400mm deep or so, you can just rack mount your switch.

this is the difference between a Cabler and a Sparky with his comms licence.. hills home hub/ Clipsal star server are aimed at sparkies with no idea/ Care about what happens after they walk away from a job. and to a point they do work.. jut not useful for anyone who wants more then your non techy mum and pop set up which as I said do the job...

I had a Clipsal rep trying to upsell the use of their star serve cabinets to me the other week and also trying to put their RGB HD signal distro system as well I told him most of my clients are in IT and know what they want.. and this isn't it.. hell he hadn't even heard of Network Media players prior to this unless he was completely stupid...

as for the wall plates and not a patch panel if the OP only speced 5 points it is fine but if he assumed he was getting more per location for his $1,800 well then yeah.
Pugs
as for the wall plates and not a patch panel if the OP only speced 5 points it is fine but if he assumed he was getting more per location for his $1,800 well then yeah.

As we all well know, you always need more; fortunately I got a 24 port Krone (when Krone meant something), as it's nearly full now, and same with the 16 port switch (especially when you are using LACP with your NAS, and when you need a NAS to back up your NAS).
PHL
Pugs

As we all well know, you always need more; fortunately I got a 24 port Krone (when Krone meant something), as it's nearly full now, and same with the 16 port switch (especially when you are using LACP with your NAS, and when you need a NAS to back up your NAS).

You must have some HIGH quality movies to need to use LACP...I do also feel your pain on the backing up of the NAS to another NAS. This is why I bit the bullet at moved to Raid5 for both with spare disks sitting next to them
JMAP
You must have some HIGH quality movies to need to use LACP...I do also feel your pain on the backing up of the NAS to another NAS. This is why I bit the bullet at moved to Raid5 for both with spare disks sitting next to them

That's what I do; currently only have a 4 bay QNAP, but may move to 5 bays, as 6 bays gets too big.

It's not just a single stream, but sometimes multiple streams, as well as normal file access.
PHL
JMAP

That's what I do; currently only have a 4 bay QNAP, but may move to 5 bays, as 6 bays gets too big.

It's not just a single stream, but sometimes multiple streams, as well as normal file access.

CPU: Intel i5-2320 Core i5 Processor, 3.0 GHz, LGA1155,
CPU Cooler: Stock
MB: Intel DH67CLB3
RAM: 16GB Kingston (KVR1333D3N9/4G x 4)
NIC 2: PRO/1000 PT
HD 1: Seagate 750GB
SATA Card: High Point 2680SGL
HDs 2 - 9: 4 x 2TB and 4x 1TB
Case: Fractal R2
PSU: Corsair VX450

that is my home file server.. saves having more then one "NAS" and is more upgradable.. only running bonded NICs, 16GB of RAM cause I can..
Pugs
that is my home file server.. saves having more then one "NAS" and is more upgradable.. only running bonded NICs, 16GB of RAM cause I can..

My reason for running 2 separate NAS is redundancy; there is a full backup of data (unfortunately my DAT can only do 320Gb uncompressed) and hardware, so if power supply or m/b goes (as happened recently), there is no downtime. Another was also due to lower power consumption of these dedicated Atom based boxes running a flavour of Linux.
Lacp does not provide more bandwidth in a home use.
adgn
Lacp does not provide more bandwidth in a home use.

And you say that because?

I didn't realise that commercial grade equipment downgraded in the home environment.
PHL
(especially when you are using LACP with your NAS, and when you need a NAS to back up your NAS).

I should clarify.

In this situation of NAS to NAS using LACP will not provide double the bandwidth.
Hi, guys. I am planning to build a new house with entertainment, IT, and home automation setup.
Basic requirement:
1. TV Channel to all rooms and living area;
2. Alarm system connected telephone network;
3. CCTV being watch on TV channel;
4. Intercom in each area, prefer the music around the area;
5. Wired and wireless network with NAS, A server possibly to back up my business' server.

Questions are:
1. Is wireless connection reliable enough for speaker and internet?
2. My current house use modular to distribute the TV, CCTV to all areas, seems working ok.
3. Are I better off to wire Cat 6 regardless what is require in each area? get ADSL Modem, switch, phone connection in the garage may just do the same jobs as clisal starserve.
4. How much cost to get proper system set up for my requirements by using Hill, Clisal?
Is c-bus waste of money since the budget is limited? I have seen some use long time try to turn on the light, can it be done in simple way for home auotmation?
Related
22/04/2024
Door not closing properly but I have a fixed hinge

Windows & Doors

My door tends to rub against the frame during winter and I'm looking to fix it so it closes smoothly. Looking online on Youtube I'm seeing methods to fix the alignment and…

20/09/2023
Zero Lot Issue & Need Idea

General Discussion

You must be new to the internet. You're also the only person anyone here has ever heard of washing their garage wall. I hate to break it to you, there are insects and…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum