Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Data cabling

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We have had 2 quotes on data cabling for our new build but we are still confused. I've read a few threads in here too and it's making me more confused.

We use wireless for our laptop, pc, iPads at hone at the moment. We have tv, foxtel, ps3, wii, amp, DVD.

One cable guy quoted $2500 for a hills home hub where we get 8x coax antenna/pay tv points, 8 data (Internet points), 8 telephone points, 8 way powered splitter, 8 way data switch, 8 way telephone module and installation.

$2500 seems a premium to have it come back to this 1 box, especially if we don't need all these points. Is there a Benefit having it all in this one box? Where would it otherwise go?

My confusion is- why do we need 8 telephone points? We only have 1 phone which we barely use as we have mobiles. Is there another use for phone points?

Are the coax antenna/pay tv points used for both tv & pay tv?

And are the 8 data points just used for Internet? Do they serve any other purpose? If we use wireless for everything now, why would we plug into wired when the house is built or in the future?

Is it just the cable guys trying to sell their stuff as to why
we need these things?

We don't want to exclude this home hub thing if it's essential for future, especially as we are building a 2 story house, but we don't want to waste our money if it's going to be sitting their on the wall doing nothing.

And, he suggested an infra red system where we can store our DVD player, foxtel box, amp etc.. In a cupboard in another room, but use the remote in the tv room and it works a treat. This sounds fantastic as we don't like clutter - anyone have experience with this? I guess our foxtel point would then go in the cupboard where we would store the DVD player, amp etc? Would we need any other cable etc points in this cupboard?

Thanks so much to anyone who may be able to offer advice, expertise etc... It just seems so confusing.

Thanks!
The home automation section of the forum may be better. I wouldn't pay for those extra phone points.
Thanks!
Related
12/07/2023
Prewiring a House for Data, CCTV, and Future-Proofing

Building A New House

Scientists have used random matrix theory to demonstrate theoretically that the neutrino mass hierarchy can be explained mathematically. When a substance is fragmented…

17/01/2024
Data Points

Building A New House

If you're referring to Eufy homebase, then just put a switch between a datapoint and put the homebase elsewhere near another device in your home unless you want teh…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum