Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

What's your favourite type/genre of film?

Page 1 of 1
I like many, many types.....
Hey Rod, that'a s hard one for me. I like action, drama, comedy, informative stuff from places like Discovery Channel as well. Not big on horror though.

Our DVD library is outgrowing it's home. Do you have a dedicated storage cupboard or something of the sort? I hate to sift through the entertainment unit to locate a dvd. I am looking for a storage system where you can open up drawers like a kitchen drawer with slots for each dvd case and where every dvd has a place alphabetically. Is my only alternative to get something custom made?
Phoenix,

You may want to look at a media server.

You store all your DVD's/ Movies/ Pictures on a hard drive and watch them via an extender.

You can have one in each room if you like.

Matt
Bond....James Bond.......
When we built our house 3 years ago I had them include a built-in-robe in the study (essentially making it a 5th bedroom), then I decked it out with shelves pretty much from top to bottom for all of my DVDs.

The problem is I've already more than filled all of those shelves, so now I have to get a little more creative to best use the space inside that wardrobe.

I myself love Action films, Comedies, Action Comedies, Romantic Comedies, Sci-Fi, Dramas, Thrillers, Horror, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Kids/Family, Anime, even the odd BBC doco or Imax film.

I also love live concert DVDs, and have about 80 of them.
Matt that idea sounds great, what prices do they start from and what storage capacity do they have. Is that just by running a windows media format? Or is a dedicated unit?
**Phoenix**
Matt that idea sounds great, what prices do they start from and what storage capacity do they have. Is that just by running a windows media format? Or is a dedicated unit?

Phoenix,

They start from as little as the cost of a home based PC.

Storage is limited only by your budget but to give you an idea a 500gig hard drive is about $180 and can store 74 movies if you copy all the extra's or 130 if you just want the movie or even more if you compress them.

Basically you run a PC somewhere central and have players wherever you want them.

Matt
OK so i have to keep up with technology.....

I presently have a 300Gb HD now, (external) that i used for backups. Have PC so need the house networked first and formost and then access via a dvd player(what sort of player do you require? Is that similar to your setup where you have the keyboard & screen in your theatre room? Is that how you select the movie, at the PC or at the point where you are watching. What windows do you need to run? Pro? or is there special programmes required? It intrigues me..... Might need to take my movies to another level......
Thriller, horror the gorier the better!!!
Sorry for hi-jacking guys.

I have started a new thread here for Media streamers:

http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=19204#19204

Matt
Related
5/03/2024
What type of tile is best for outdoor patios?

Outdoor Living

Natural stone tiles like slate, travertine, and limestone add a timeless, elegant look to…

11/04/2024
What type of cladding is this

General Discussion

That looks like it, thanks very much

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum