Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

windows in home theatre consturctions

Page 1 of 1
I am building a new house with a theatre room which is a rectangular room. 5.5m long by 4m wide.

I am deciding on window configuration.

Standard with the house is one window on the side wall (5.5m wal) this window is 1200mm from top to bottom and 2410mm across.

I am thinking of either making this window bigge. IE: Make it 1800mm x 2410.

I have been told the darker the room the better it is.

What do you guys recommendl
stevec,

I think a large window along the side wall of a home theatre is a great idea. This allows the room to change from a home theatre to a lounge area when required. A large window with lots of light is great in such a situation.

When used as a home theatre, pull across a large thick curtain. This will block out the light and provide a large sound absorbing medium to you get that cinema effect.

Go for it.

Cheers,
Casa

P.S. Matt, what do you think?
I think you should log in Casa!
Hi Steve.

These are 2 very important areas for a home theatre (mentioned in yours and Casa's post) - controlling the light and the sonic properties of the room.

As far as light goes, if you're going to run a projector in your theatre, and you want to be able to enjoy it at times when it's not dark outside (AFL Grand Final anyone?), you will need the ability to darken the room. Ambient (or worse, direct) light is the natural enemy of the front projection system - it destroys the brightness and contrast of the image being projected onto your screen. Get decent, thick, block-out curtains for any window in this room.

If you're using a plasma or LCD panel instead of a projector this is not as critical.

For sound, if you have a bare room with 4 bare parallel walls and a bare floorboard floor, all of these hard flat surfaces will reflect a lot of the sound in this room all over the place. This has a dramatic effect on the quality of the sound heard from the sound system in this room - it muddies up a lot of the sonic imaging (telling sounds on the left from sounds on the right, etc.), it can make everything sound a bit bright (too much treble - higher frequencies), create standing waves, etc. - all negative. Ideally, all you really want to hear is the sound coming directly from your speakers.

If you care about the quality of the sound in your theatre, especially if you have made a substantial investment in the sound system, then you should (really, really should) go to a bit of trouble to reduce the amount of hard, flat, reflective surfaces in this room. Carpet, curtains and soft furnishings are an excellent start to cut this down - the softer the surface the less it will reflect sound. Notice how the walls in your local movie cinema have soft, padded walls and/or curtains on pretty much every surface they can cover (not that most home owners are expected to go to quite those lengths, although Matt and I know of some who have...).

Casa's on the money.
If you are at the stage to be currently putting the plan together and only want this room as a home cinema and no other usage, then you can always ask the builder to label the room as a store room. The reason for this is then you do not have to have any windows in it to be 5 star efficient (which is a bit of a w*nk anyway)....
Fairly big store room, not sure if you can get away with that can you?
I did ...... Mind you I told the builder why it was a "storeroom"....
Related
30/06/2023
Bedroom Windows

Building A New House

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house and wanted to get some feedback on the different window designs for a master bedroom. Our bedroom is north facing and the bed will…

18/09/2023
Adhesive seals for western red cedar windows

Windows & Doors

I’m restoring all my 40yr old windows and I want to install seals around the casements. I’ve sanded back and oiled the frames with sikkens. My plan is to box up inside…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum