Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Television distribution/amplifier options

Page 1 of 1
Hey gang,

After going over the StarServe/Hills Networking stuff, it appears that neither of these will meet my networking requirements (32-48 ports, Gigabit). So, I've removed the Hills Home Network component from our electrical plan and have a network cabler ready to do the cat6 structured cabling. The telephone stuff doesn't worry me, as I have a 1RU PBX going into the comms rack and phones will be VOIP-based.

However, I do need something to distribute both the FTA and Foxtel signals from the fibre ONI to the points around the house. I will have at least 6 TV points (all bedrooms, lounge, home theatre) with a possibility of 2-4 more (places like the kitchen, alfresco, perhaps even the bathrooms).

So, I need a TV signal amplifier that can run 6-10 points from a single source. I'd love it if I could cable that up into a standard 19" comms rack. Does anyone know of any potential products that meet this requirement? My contact at Opticomm tells me that I need a "Powered Amp" for the TV with an operating range of 50-870Mhz.

Help!
Djelibeybi
Hey gang,

After going over the StarServe/Hills Networking stuff, it appears that neither of these will meet my networking requirements (32-48 ports, Gigabit). So, I've removed the Hills Home Network component from our electrical plan and have a network cabler ready to do the cat6 structured cabling. The telephone stuff doesn't worry me, as I have a 1RU PBX going into the comms rack and phones will be VOIP-based.

However, I do need something to distribute both the FTA and Foxtel signals from the fibre ONI to the points around the house. I will have at least 6 TV points (all bedrooms, lounge, home theatre) with a possibility of 2-4 more (places like the kitchen, alfresco, perhaps even the bathrooms).

So, I need a TV signal amplifier that can run 6-10 points from a single source. I'd love it if I could cable that up into a standard 19" comms rack. Does anyone know of any potential products that meet this requirement? My contact at Opticomm tells me that I need a "Powered Amp" for the TV with an operating range of 50-870Mhz.

Help!

Telstra approved distribution amplifier used for Foxtel and Bigpond Internet can power up to 10 points. It has 4 outputs, so you will also need three splitters.
IQtech
Telstra approved distribution amplifier used for Foxtel and Bigpond Internet can power up to 10 points. It has 4 outputs, so you will also need three splitters.

I'm not connected to Telstra -- the fibre is being provided by Opticomm, which is an open access service provider. The ONI is also provided by them, and they recommend the Hills Home Hub product. As discussed above, this product is not suitable for my networking/phone requirements.

Though, if I can buy one of those distribution amplifiers you mentioned, it might be a workable solution. Do you know a source for them?
Djelibeybi
IQtech

I'm not connected to Telstra -- the fibre is being provided by Opticomm, which is an open access service provider. The ONI is also provided by them, and they recommend the Hills Home Hub product. As discussed above, this product is not suitable for my networking/phone requirements.

Though, if I can buy one of those distribution amplifiers you mentioned, it might be a workable solution. Do you know a source for them?

Middy's in Mulgrave and Sunshine should have them in stock, L&H in Bayswater should be able to get them as well.

If you can't get one, you should be able to get exactly the same Hills splitter/amplifier used in Hills hub as separate product.

Even if fibre is provided by Opticomm, it should be connected to Telstra network to get Foxtel signal.
Djelibeybi
IQtech

Sorry to hijack your thread, but how can you get FTTH ? I will be building in Craigieburn and would love to have fibre delivered to my house. If there is a possibility, then what's the pricing like ?

Thanks
IQtech
Middy's in Mulgrave and Sunshine should have them in stock, L&H in Bayswater should be able to get them as well.

Awesome, thanks.

Quote:
Even if fibre is provided by Opticomm, it should be connected to Telstra network to get Foxtel signal.

AFAIK, it's connected to Foxtel, not Telstra. Opticomm have a direct connection to rebroadcast Foxtel and Digital FTA across their GEPON networks. At this point, there is no Telstra connection on the network, i.e. the phone and internet providers are all non-Telstra.

iTalk
Sorry to hijack your thread, but how can you get FTTH ?

Your estate needs to be specifically cabled for FTTH -- it's not something you can just order yourself. I would speak to your land developer to see if any FTTH has been planned for your estate.

When we were looking for land to buy in Melbourne, we specifically excluded any Telstra Velocity estates, as getting locked into Bigpond is just not worth it. When I found out that University Hill was going to be an open access FTTH network, I was even more determined to buy land there. We bought in the first land release and will be the first house constructed our stage.
Hi DJ,

You may be able to help me here.

We brought land in an OptiComm serviced estate (Alamanda).

Trying to work out the requirements to get a gigabit home network and internet access.

Our builder (Metricon) use the Hills Home Hub system.

AFAIK the Hills Home Hub does not have a Gigabit module (seems stupid to only have 100mb...).

Anyway...

Will we need a home router to connect to the internet or will a gigabit switch directly connected to the ONU suffice?
Zerosignal
Will we need a home router to connect to the internet or will a gigabit switch directly connected to the ONU suffice?

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. I believe both will work. Though, you need a home router than has a 100mb (or higher) WAN port, and the only one I know of is the Apple Airport Extreme, which is the one I'm using.
You can contact Opticomm directly as well, I've found them quite helpful.

Also, I actually did get the Hills Home Hub installed. I'm just planning on putting a gigabit switch into the cabinet alongside the 100mb switch that is supplied. The VOIP network will run over the 100mb switch and the PCs and Media Centres will run over the gigE switch.

Hope that helps.
Djelibeybi
Zerosignal

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. I believe both will work. Though, you need a home router than has a 100mb (or higher) WAN port, and the only one I know of is the Apple Airport Extreme, which is the one I'm using.
You can contact Opticomm directly as well, I've found them quite helpful.

Also, I actually did get the Hills Home Hub installed. I'm just planning on putting a gigabit switch into the cabinet alongside the 100mb switch that is supplied. The VOIP network will run over the 100mb switch and the PCs and Media Centres will run over the gigE switch.

Hope that helps.

Thanks DJ for that.

I've done a little research the Linksys WRT310N has a gigabit WAN port connection per http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/dow ... -WEB,1.pdf

They can be picked up for about $180-$200.
Zerosignal
I've done a little research the Linksys WRT310N has a gigabit WAN port connection per http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/dow ... -WEB,1.pdf

Good to know there are options.
I already have an Airport Extreme, as my house is predominantly Mac-based (2x MacBook Pro laptops, 2x Mac Minis). I plan on getting one or two Airport Express' as well, as remote speaker units, and to boost the wifi network.
Djelibeybi
AFAIK, it's connected to Foxtel, not Telstra. Opticomm have a direct connection to rebroadcast Foxtel and Digital FTA across their GEPON networks. At this point, there is no Telstra connection on the network, i.e. the phone and internet providers are all non-Telstra.

Telstra owns the Foxtel cable network. So it will have to connect to Telstra's network for you to be able to get Foxtel. Unless you are connecting by satellite.
wakeboardandy
Telstra owns the Foxtel cable network. So it will have to connect to Telstra's network for you to be able to get Foxtel.

Yes, Telstra own the HFC cable network. However, this is Foxtel/Austar/SelecTV over pure optic fibre, which is owned and operated by Opticomm. I assume there is a connection to the TV networks somewhere (likewise, they redistribute the digital and analog FTA signals), but from a consumer point-of-view, I'm not connected to Telstra at all.

But yes, my original point was a little broad -- there's a connection to Telstra somewhere, I just don't see it.
From my experience, it's worth taking a look at https://www.myamplifiers.com/en-ca/ The booster I've bought still works properly
Related
8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

8/07/2023
Need help with flooring options

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, I'm a conplete newbie to this, but I'm looking to put a floor down in my 6x9m shed. It's currently sitting on a 100mm thick concrete perimeter (dirt floor…

16/07/2023
Options for Retaining Wall Sloping Hill

Landscape & Garden Design

Howdy all. I am looking for feedback on what people would do to maximise and make an area as flat as possible. First, out the front of the house is a sloping hill, pretty…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum