Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Home Technology Hub

Page 21 of 24
Hi, thank you for your inputs..... sorry, I should have provided bit more info...

I am trying to build a system with out a hub and spend minimum $$$

I used openhab a bit but moved to home assistant and now building on voxcommando

I will look into openhab again

Thanks
Hi all,

Going through our build at the mo and having a Brivis heating and refrigerated cooling system put it (2 zones), been searching round quite a bit and still can't get a definative answer on whether Nest or Ecobee4 are compatible? Does anyone know or have this setup?

From what it looks like I would need to get an digital to analog board for the Brivis and only be able to have one zone instead of two?

Thanks!

Danny
Interesting topic thank you !! it gives me a lot of idea for my home :3
An interesting read on new connected homes

http://mashable.com/2017/06/14/wifi-cer ... art-homes/

Installed Ring Pro Doorbell and its been working great.
https://www.industec.com.au/collections ... orbell-pro

beware you do need 2 mb up for the pro version.
Google Home and Google Wifi Mesh is now available in Australia from JB, HN etc..

Home $199 and Wifi Mesh $499 (3-pack) or $199 (individual), maybe wait for a sale.

Will pick up a Home when my house is done for voice control in my HT, should be fun to play with..

Hopefully the mesh will drop in price by then cause I would like to get that too.

thank you for sharing Jordann

Interested to know how the wifi mesh is different from a $50 D-Link or TP_link.

I am thinking of buying Echo dot .. 1. It is lot cheaper.. 2. it is less weird saying Alexa than OK Google
Things I have bought and played with so far (and happy to guide/help anyone interested)

- Broadlink RM mini (converts wireless signal into IR).. so I can command my AV receiver, set top box and projector to be ON and ready when I am walking into the Media room..
- Sonoff wireless switches.. nice little thing (need an electrician to fix this because it is 220v connection)... can set schedule to ON and OFF appliances/ night lamp, can also remotely control
- Ordered "open garage" garage opener kit... can operate garage from anywhere and also get notifications when the garage is opened..
- In the mean time found Wemo Maker on sale and bought one... took less than 15 mins to set-up and voice controlling via tasker/IFTTT (Google Assistant/IFTTT is not working for some reason)
- LIFX bulbs (I prefer LIFX because no hub is required so short reaction time)
- Ordered LED strips with wifi controller..plan is to integrate this with the rest of the media room devices (So I can have red LEDs when watching a horror movie and blue when watching a romantic movie..haha)

Things to buy;
- wireless door bell
- an IP camera, so I can watch what's happening in the garage when it is opened

Controlling all this via Tasker and Auto voice on Android
RegVic
thank you for sharing Jordann

Interested to know how the wifi mesh is different from a $50 D-Link or TP_link.

I am thinking of buying Echo dot .. 1. It is lot cheaper.. 2. it is less weird saying Alexa than OK Google

With the $50 D-Link or TP_Link, are they mesh devices or just wifi extender/repeater? If its an extender/repeater then I think there will be some speed degradation (half?) when a device is connected through it, as it just repeating the signal from your main access point/router.

Snipit from Google site on their wifi: "Since Wi-Fi is broadcasted from each Wifi point (and not just a single router), Google Wifi is a connected system that provides better coverage over a wider space."

Still trying to figure out if they all connects to each other or 2 connects to a primary which needs to be in a central location.

Would Google Home be any better if you can say Hey Google? Cause I think you can now. haha
Hi,

Tasker is on sale on Google play store.

A must have app for Android home automation enthusiasts
Is anyone waiting to see whether the Apple HomePod will be any good?

Metricon Liberty 45, Ryde NSW
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=82846
TheBigHouse
Speaker systems can be pretty complex. IMHO the best way to approach it is to decide exactly what equipment you will use, exactly where you will place it and work a plan from there. For example, I have a single receiver that is capable of multi room sound with 2 different sources. It is also a Dolby ATMOS capable receiver @9.2 channels but it can't do multiroom and ATMOS at the same time.

For Audio advice I really like the guys at The Lifestyle Store in N Parramatta. Don't be afraid of the prices of their stuff, you can negotiate down for sure. I got a 40% off the rrp for a full set of Paradigms.

You also need to think about subwoofer placement if you have a home theatre set up or even for just music. You can run RG6 from your audio source to wherever you want to put them.

Agree the lifestyle guys are awesome

Renman
Quirmeball1280
Renman
[quote="Quirmeball1280"]Hi all, we were wondering if anyone had recommendations for consultants that can help with advice on cabling for sound system and security cams/door bell? Since we are brand agnostic at the moment, someone that resells a number of brands would be good.

We heard that it's hard to do wiring to the ground floor once the house is built so best to get them to install cabling during the build. We've done our initial electrical plans but will probably need to get Vacarro to make some changes during the build.. thanks.

For speakers if you are going for generic one it's a lot easier. If you were going for a high end brand like B&O then you will need them to run their specific cables.

For the family room we are going for a standard 5.1 effects so only running standard speakers cables from Metricon.

For the rest of the house we are going with wireless speakers and PoE security cameras post handover. For the doorbell/intercom we picked the Lumi one from Metricon which they will run the cables to the from gate instead of the front door.

Thanks Renman, we were thinking Sonos or something similar but didn't want to use up our limited power points to plug in rear left and right speakers to the back of the family room. Also we have no idea where to place our camera at the front of the house to maximise viewing angle and lighting etc. These were all things we should have figured out before our electrical appointment but unfortunately we didn't do enough prep work

Would your SM allow you to run a few extra Cat 6 cable between ur ground and top floor.

If you look at my electrical plans, you can use that as a reference.

Bose wireless systems are pretty good.

[/quote]

Bose really? Try lifestyle guys - paradigm are really good

If in doubt for cabling run conduit between rooms - for future provision. I did this between a few rooms and also between some rooms and roof cavity to cover all bases. Pretty cheap to do.

I'll post my electrical plans for you also to have a look at.

RegVic
Anyone with a dedicated theatre room...need help!

What type of projector screen you buying/bought and from where?

Currently planning the flooring from lifestyle store

http://www.epson.com.au/microsite/elite-home/

Aussie141414
Orpheus
I'm getting the Samsung pin/card lock instead. I might ask our SM to install it for us (fingers crossed)

https://youtu.be/nb6aWfipcWU

@Orph

Build thread: viewtopic.php?t=78328
Home Furniture: viewtopic.php?t=80551
Technology Hub: viewtopic.php?t=83663
Landscape Design: viewtopic.php?t=80645

I had a Samsung Lock and upgraded to the August lock as you can give keys to people for an hour, day, time of day, revoke. If you give someone your door access code and you dont want them access anymore you have to change your pin code. Also if you buy the doorbell cam as I have you can open your door remotely from anywhere in the world and also chat with someone at your door if your not home.

Dpnt get me wrong the Samsung lock serviced me well for a couple of years, but the added functionality of the August suits my needs better.

Is the august lock easy to use and reliable?

NthHome

Bose really? Try lifestyle guys - paradigm are really good

If in doubt for cabling run conduit between rooms - for future provision. I did this between a few rooms and also between some rooms and roof cavity to cover all bases. Pretty cheap to do.

I'll post my electrical plans for you also to have a look at.

We went to the Lifestyle guys too and they were very helpful - ended up getting Sonos set for the front cause easy to use and will add 2 Paradigm rears from the ceiling so we don't need rear speaker brackets at the back of our family room near our stacker doors

Quirmeball1280

We went to the Lifestyle guys too and they were very helpful - ended up getting Sonos set for the front cause easy to use and will add 2 Paradigm rears from the ceiling so we don't need rear speaker brackets at the back of our family room near our stacker doors

They are awesome, I have a full Paradigm set in my HT. Mini Monitors, Center 1 and Surround 1s. I could have gone bigger but these are more than adequate. I might get H65s for my ATMOS setup soon.

Hey guys I've been following this thread for a while sadly not in time for electricals but I will need to call in a technician anyway.
Great ideas and info on here thanks!
I've just purchased some smart bulbs off Amazon to work with Alexa, however most lamps here are not screw ons!!! Anyone know where I can get a converter kit from GU to screw ons? I've tried Bunnings they don't have it. If I can't find any, these bulbs are just gonna be a waste

NthHome
RegVic
Anyone with a dedicated theatre room...need help!

What type of projector screen you buying/bought and from where?

Currently planning the flooring from lifestyle store

http://www.epson.com.au/microsite/elite-home/

I haven't yet purchased the projector as I'm told Sony are releasing new projectors that will outshine all on the market.

samuraibus
Hey guys I've been following this thread for a while sadly not in time for electricals but I will need to call in a technician anyway.
Great ideas and info on here thanks!
I've just purchased some smart bulbs off Amazon to work with Alexa, however most lamps here are not screw ons!!! Anyone know where I can get a converter kit from GU to screw ons? I've tried Bunnings they don't have it. If I can't find any, these bulbs are just gonna be a waste

ikea

Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum