Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

how to network two storey house double brick home

Page 3 of 3
You will need to run horizontal as well as vertical conduit. Get a pull string put in the conduit when it is installed and make sure that they use 'sweep' bends rather than hard 90 degree bends, then the cabler just uses the pull string to pull the cable through when they are ready to install.

The other option, if your walls line up, is to go from the ground floor up to the ceiling space and then through the ceiling space back to a point that connects to your cabling termination location - a larger "riser" conduit as Pugs suggested.
Hi melting. Good to hear someone thinking about cabling in a double storey home!! We're about to start building similar (any time now...) and I tried to plan mine out also. Got another week or so for any changes though, so will follow this thread

For my 2c, I also wanted cat6 installed. I intend to have a couple wireless points for laptops, phones etc, but hard wire all viedo players, desktops and consoles. In my personal experience, using wireless for streaming is asking for trouble, though improving with technology advances.

Anyway, I'm using under the stairs for the data and tv return, and will have a NAS and modem/router, switch etc in there. Will you run a rack type server? or a little NAS (HP Microserver ftw!!)? Former maybe garage is best spot, latter easier to slip inside somewhere. WIR up stairs as mentioned looks good, at least for a switch (generally passive, so no noise issues).
No problem having the server in another room cabled up to the switch. Could always put two cat6 runs to it if you think you'll need the throughput (highly doubt it though).

However I still think there's enough room under the stairs for both, but depends how much you drink

I had to pony up big $$ to get a volume builder to run cables back to the stairs, and a single conduit up to the roof. I'll drop all the tv/cat6 etc wiring down from roof later when we're in. And may then put a PoE (power over ethernet) switch up there for some IP cameras to neatly pop out under eaves, or ceiling.

All my cat6 runs were single, but if I can somehow I'll get them all the be quad runs (talk to electrician, get on site etc).
If you can get conduits in for not too much, do it. Easy to work with later.
Internal top floor walls can be done later if required (not easy, but you can usually get down, or drill from above) but ground must be planned.
I went with a point for every tv area, one in the alfresco up high (wall mount tv, stream live tv over cat6) in the studies, and kitchen. Then one in the garage in case we ever cop NBN.

NBN doesn't require 5 points AFAIK, but their NTU (termination box slapped on your wall) can accommodate multiple provider ports. In reality, I'm unlikely to even need more than 1. Some may want more. I'll also run VOIP if I ever need a home phone, but to be honest we really just use mobiles for voice, so I'm only having a single phone point in the house (we're in a cable area).

If you can get any other cabling done during build, think of 5.1 systems and rough in audio cables for later, same with a conduit for hdmi/power for a projector if that's your thing.

One suggestion, don't think anyone has discussed yet, is EoP (ethernet over power) adapters. I used to think they were rubbish, but living in a 2 storey apartment while we build has taught me their value! If you can get the plans for all your electrical wiring curcuits, even better. I have a basic 200mbps netgear kit, and it gets ~35mbps between floors. Far better than a wireless bridge. I would not use in place of a cable run, but it is a decent way to patch in later if required, or for temporary arrangements.

Sorry for the long post, wish you all the best for the build.
Keep us posted!

PS. not hard to stream tv over cat6 too (and even wireless) if needed. And you can patch phone points over cat6 sockets too later if required (not through a switch though). Even HDMI can happily go over 2 cables...
The HP Microserver box looks interesting. I'm also planning on putting a server in a rack under my stairs.

I couple of things I'm getting my builder to do:
- seal the concrete under the stairs to avoid dust
- put a thermostat-controlled exhaust fan in under the stairs ( will be vented outside )

Make sure your network cabling is ok quality. i.e. shielded CAT6. That will enable HDMI to be run through it if you decide you need it later.
Related
28/03/2024
Full Brick Double Storey 38Sq House Price Estimated?

Building A New House

Hi Kristy Around $1.7-1.8m or around $4,600/sqm. if you PM me your email I will send you a break up in a spreadsheet so you can get an understanding of the costs for…

23/04/2024
Two storey house construction cost

Building A New House

The price you're seeing for a high-spec 2-storey home in Perth sounds steep, but unfortunately, it's kind of the norm these…

31/10/2023
Acreage, double storey

Building A New House

We're in NSW, but designs from anywhere ok for inspo!

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum