Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

Home theatre..

Page 3 of 3
Hi VJ.

You haven't gone for a HDMI cable? I know they are not cheap but you really, really should look at this (not easy to do once the house is built).

As I said earlier, if you get an A/V Receiver that has HDMI in/out and up-converts all inferior video signals to HDMI (as I strongly suggest you do) you will only need to run 1 HDMI cable up to where the projector is going - no need to run any other type of video cable.

If, on the other hand, you think you want to try to save a few dollars on the cost of the Receiver and therefore get one that doesn't have HDMI in/out or can up convert to HDMI, then you will need to run more video cables (depending on what up-conversion the Receiver does do - some do up to Component, some only up to S-Video, etc.), but if you go this way I'd still recommend running a HDMI cable (as well as every other type of video cable from Component down to whatever your chosen Receiver can up-convert to).

If you go for the neater solution and pay a bit extra for the Receiver that supports all of your HDMI needs, you will also undoubtedly be getting a Receiver with more bang than the lesser model anyway - most likely it will have more power on tap (which is good - you don't have to push the thing as hard to get a good volume level happening) and more higher-end features.

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering who recommended just getting Component and Composite video cables run?
A note on the costs you mentioned (because you asked...):

We wouldn't charge quite that much, but they're not too bad (we've seen plenty worse than that).
Hi Rod,

It was the manager of the company that decided on the type of cables to use.
We just told him what we want.. 5 cables for the speakers and another for the projector.
That's the hard thing for people who doesn't understand much about this.
Even if you explain it to me several times, I might not be able to fully understand it

Re: HDMI, is it for the projector that runs in the middle (item no. 2 from my list)?
Please confirm and I will email our consultant to ask for a HDMI instead of that component and composite cable.

Thanks!!!!
Yes the HDMI cable is for the projector (from where ever your AV gear is gunna be up to where your projector is gunna be - and leave some extra length at each end).

If you are OK with the idea of the superior model of Receiver, ie one that does all of the HDMI goodness I mentioned above, then you absolutely should just go for the single HDMI cable.
Hi Rod,

Thanks for all your help.
I tried to remember that HDMI thing, but forgot to mention about it when the manager started explaining about the best type of cable that they normally use, I assumed that it was HDMI

I really should ask my husband to start reading different topics from this forum. Women should just concentrate on the colours, finishes/fittings and let their husbands decide on the more technical stuff

I know you wouldn't charge that much... but I was thinking, because our house is double-storey, that it would be best to do the pre-wiring with them and let you guys do the installation of the HT system after hand over.

Again, thanks for all your assistance and for being patient on explaining in detail everything about HT cabling. It's just so sad that I wasn't able to grasp everything

We will meet you and Matt one time... just before our handover to discuss about the more important HT stuff.

Cheers to the HT experts!
Hi Rod,

Great news!
Hubby re-checked the electrical plans and the legend of the images used on the plan indicated that the cable was indeed HDMI!

It doesn't say in the description of the item, which was the one that I posted here, but in the legend it was indicated HDMI.

Whew! What a relief!
Hi VJ.

It's all cool, I only mentioned that we wouldn't charge quite as much as an indicator if you were interested in letting us do some part of it - never a 'ha ha' type of thing

That said, have we ever discussed where exactly you are building? Perhaps you could update your profile...

P.S. Do you think you should confirm the HDMI cable just in case?
Hi Rod,

We now remember (obvious that we have poor memory) that their system doesn't have the HDMI as description and so the manager just asked the consultant to indicate HDMI on the legend of the electrical plans.
We're going to confirm it during contract signing... which is next week!!!!!!

We have a blog, but haven't done any updates yet.

We're building a double-storey house in Point Cook.
This is our 1st house here in OZ and we're hoping to get what we really want.. that's why it took us more than a year to finally get at this stage.

We went from PD (put a deposit for soil test) and realised it wasn't the house for us...... and went to M for a single storey. The house was not approved by the land developer as it didn't address the turn-the-corner requirement (ours is a corner block) so we looked for another house. Liked the double-storey houses of AV and put a deposit again. We almost signed the contract, but lost confidence on them (after 6 months with them!). Went back to M and here we are now.
Here is the link to our house: http://www.metricon.com.au/victoria/hom ... fault.aspx
and we're building the Nevada 39.
If you look at the floor plans, the HT will replace the front sitting area. We won't use it anyway.

Next week will be a busy week for us... colour selection and contract signing afterwards. Enjoying every minute of it... although we're already tired, as we've done this part 3x already

At least, we know the drill now (except for the HT, hehe) so no more waste of time during colour selection.

We'll meet you one time to discuss about our HT.

Cheers!
Hi VJ.

Thanks for the info. I take it in that sitting room you plan on putting the screen on the wall where the stairs are?

We actually did a nice little theatre in a room the same size in Point Cook (the new estate, 2nd exit on the left - from the city) not that long ago. 92" Fixed screen, Epson 720P LCD projector, Marantz and Audio Pro sound system. We catch up with the customer (Chris) from time to time and he's still loving it...

Look forward to the day when we can meet.
Sorry for the late reply, Rod.
Yes, we're putting the screen on the wall where the stairs are.

Lots of things happening after our electrical appointment.
Now we're getting ready for the colour selection, that's why I'm always keeping in touch with Michelle! Very nice Michelle!

We're also looking forward to meet you and Mat for our home theatre set-up/system.

Thanks again for all the info that you shared.
By the way, we went for a tour of the builder's studio, in preparation for our colour selection this week, and saw the Acoustic insulation.
We might have it in the HT room... hopefully it won't cost that much.
Are there any other option aside from this?

Thanks!
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

27/06/2023
Wisdom home facade

Building A New House

Hi, guys! If you've built with Wisdom Homes, would you mind sharing images of your front facades once they're all rendered? I'm considering signing up with them for a wide…

28/07/2023
Dulger Home

Building A New House

Just leaving this for anyone interested/looking for a review, I don't recommend this builder at all. They may have a lot of fantastic reviews, but they don't paint an…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum