Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

The next generation of technology ... What is it?

Page 2 of 2
BellaButterfly
I think both the Lifx and easybulb can be used without a remote just a normal switch.

I guess you can, but you will lose all of the 'smart' features. Once you have turned the light off with the existing switch, the power is interrupted and you can't control the light until the switch is turned back on - If you want to retain the web control you need to leave it turned 'on' all the time and only control it with the iPhone. I can't find a manual, so it is possible they have implemented a feature where turning the power off/on quickly could toggle the light on/off, but sooner or later someone will forget and leave the power off.

Still, they are pretty cool for a retro-fit in specific situations, say a home theatre
dragonchild

Side note: I think a lot of the problem with cbus right now is that it is so hard to find a good explanation of what it can do and a guide to what is needed for it to do it. I know it can control lights and program switches to switch various groups on and off. I know it can be programmed to turns things on and off at certain times or in response to certain events. But I find it really really hard to work out how this kind of thing is achieved by cbus. I can only guess at how it could integrate more complex requirements; even though the pretty marketing waffles says it can do more, there is no substance to the waffle.

At its most basic, C-Bus has output units - relays that switch circuits on/off, dimmers that dim and some special purpose units like ceiling fan and shutter/blind controllers. It also has input units - press buttons, movement sensors, light sensors.

Each circuit on an output unit is assigned a group number. These group numbers are then programmed onto the input units. When an input unit changes the level of a group the output units follow - so if an input sets a level of 50% then the output units that have that group go to 50%. You can also set the group levels from external sources - phone applets, web pages etc.

Finally, the units are connected together with low voltage cable (the bus), so there is no physical relationship between a circuit and the inputs that control it - it is all set through the unit programming.

I will agree that the logic programming could be friendlier - there is definitely a learning curve.

Even without logic programming you can achieve quite a bit -
You also get a lot of flexibility from breaking the physical link between the circuit and the switch -
It is this that I think is the most important bit of lighting control -whether it is LIFX, C-Bus, KNX, ZWave or anything else - once software provides the link between input and output, you get a lot of flexibility. I think the programming will get easier; there is a lot of effort going into cloud services to provide automation at the moment
paulw11
At its most basic, C-Bus has ...<snipped>

Thank you!!!

Now why can't clipsal have an explanation like that on their webpages instead of marketing waffle? *grumble* With pretty much all the other aspects of my build, I have a good enough grasp of the possible to be able to go into appointments and explain what I want - and know how it fits into the rest of my plans. With cbus, I'm struggling. Basic principle of projects - identify the desired end result before you start. And damn but clipsal make that hard to do without talking to an expert in person!

HD
It seems interesting. If the price is reasonable it will become popular. Led is the trend and app is funny
Here is our LifX globe at work in our stair well. We will also be adding 4 to our chandelier.

I think the big thing to remember here is that this light is just a single independent system that doesn't offer any true smart integration.

Now if they were able to be controlled by z-wave etc then that would be something else.

I would look at all options and think that it is still a little bit gimmicky rather than real world cool. Exception to that is if you need to have lights changing colour
we're using the light like a mood ring.
Automated lights is more for convenience these days then energy management. With 6 star rated homes becoming the norm and the flood of LED globes running at around 7-12w, there isn't much power consumption.
A better alternative is to work out which lights you would liked controlled, ie. driveway, outside, hallway and maybe entertained lights, than control only those ones with a system that allows total integration to your alarm and other systems without compromising the style of switches.
Some systems that allow this is ZWave. I know that Automafion Distributors Australia sell a version of ZWave that allows dimming functionality of a standard switch mechanism and also integrates into the Leviton automation/alarm panel, giving you control over security, access, temperature, music and more. Also buy limiting the number of lights being controlled, it will free up more of your budget to be spent somewhere else.
My lighting right now from outside the house

Looks great.
I was lucky enough to see LIFX globes in action at a customers house and I have to tell you I am even more impressed in real life ... I know they are not truly smart but they work so well!
I love them.
Related
28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

30/10/2023
Running irrigation line under footpath (next to home)

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all I am looking to run a water line under my concrete footpath which is directly next to my home, was seeing if this is possible without cutting the entire section…

16/01/2024
Carpet is your next rug?

Interior Decorating Lounge

Did you know that you can get rugs made from carpet? So much cheaper than buying a shop rug. So many styles to choose from, but you won't get the highly patterned…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum