Join Login
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation

"BIG" HOME THEATRE ROOKIE "HELP"

Page 2 of 2
hi Pedro,

the calculator says that the projector should be between 3.8m and 5.1m from the screen. I'd have it at about the 5m mark. Rodda may have a different opinion. I'd like to hear from him on this one too.

SK
cool. the reason i ask is i have been told that if you can get the position as close to not having to focus the lens is the best result even if you have to tweak it a little is ok but too much tends to result in poor performance.

stud to stud on the plans from front to rear is 5350mm so i am thinking 5m back should do the trick and allow for a good range of projectors to choose from?

this is of course looking at the calculations you put up?
I think that would be fine Pedro,

Most modern projectors have the ability to change the throw distance quite a way. As an example, the Epson TW3600 for a 110inch diagonal can be placed between 3.3m and 7 metres away from the screen. Focus can also be adjusted at any distance so it shouldn't be a problem either.

SK
Is the house single or double storey?

If it is single storey then I would not be too concerned.

Make sure the HDMI cable is long enough to hang down through the ceiling and to the projector. In this case I would say a 10 metre would be suitable.

The power point should be mounted inside the ceiling and the cable can be run down the projector mount (concealed) for a custom finish.

Of course if it 2 below a second storey this is different!

Hi matt,
it is a 2 story, the electrician has allowed for a 10mt HDMI cable. I dont know what his plans are for the power but i will confirm it.

thanks
If you settle on a projector then you can visit the maker's web site and use their projector calculator to determine the distance/range for it. If you have not settled on a projector then for a 100" screen I'd say the average projection distance is about 4m, and if you get an LCD (or a JVC D-ILA for that matter) they have a fair zoom range so you won't get caugth out.
actually i have seen the Optoma HD20. Any thoughts? tick or cross
Related
3/03/2024
Cost to pre wire home for smart home system with builder

Lighting + Lighting Design

We already paid for somfy motors for the blinds. The quote above was purely for “pre-wiring” so the blinds company can install the motors and blinds. That’s why we…

27/05/2024
Help! Getting my garden and home ready for winter

Interior Decorating Lounge

Hey everyone, With winter just around the corner, I'm starting to think about how to prepare my home and garden for the cooler weather. Winters can be a bit surprising,…

You are here
Building ForumHome Theatre & Automation
Home
Pros
Forum