Building ForumBuilding A New House

Timber floor or porcelain tiles

Page 1 of 1
Im building house with metricon
Im looking for advise how to save money
I prefer spotted gum engineered timber however porcelain is not a bad option
Should i do it and organize myself
Do you have any contact for timber floor or porcelain

Engineered timber will be one of th most expensive options, so definitely do it afterwards, in regards to porcelain tiles, most builders make a lot of money on tile upgrades, find out what the standard tile is, as you will likely want to upgrade it to 600x600 tiles, and they will charge $$
Engineered timber is generally installed as floating floor, has only few mm of real hardwood on it and therefore much cheaper than full hardwood floor, which is harder to install (glued, not floated) and is also more expensive flooring. Engineered timber much better reacts on humidity changes and would still require gap between walls and flooring, i.e. skirting. Engineered floating floor installation price will be in $25-35 per sqm range (labour).

Good reference pricing for engineered timber flooring:

https://www.timberflooringclearance.com.au/engineered-timber-flooring#

Tiles are generally installed in $40-50 per sqm range (labour) and oftentimes the price depends on the size of the tiles. For bigger areas floor tiles the size difference wouldn't matter as much as for smaller areas and walls, due to more precise measurements and cutting requirements (you would have to purchase 10-15% of extra tiles).

Prices for tiles can be found here:

https://www.tfo.com.au/

The rule of the thumb is that anything between $30-60 per sqm coming from Italy and Spain is considered to be value for price choice of better than average. Rectified, of course.

Engineered timber floors will certainly be much warmer than tiles (unless you have heated floors), so if you like to walk barefooted inside, then it should be your preference.
I would go for the engineered timber flooring, choosing a neutral timber that will be future proof to go with new styling and furniture as other trends emerge.

Floor tiles become dated after a few years and are expensive to remove and replace.
We had direct stuck engineered flooring in blackbutt, and while it always looked beautiful we found you had to be carefull as it marked easily. Even moving out the fridge on its wheels marked it. We are building atm and are going porcelain 600 x 600 as the wife didnt want the worry. That said I really loved the look of the timber.

Many thx guys for feedback
You could always meet in the middle and Lay Porcelain timber tiles, you get the timber look but the durability of tiles
Related
3/06/2024
clean outdoor porcelain tiles

Outdoor Living

I’ve just had some outdoor textured porcelain tiles installed, and they’re already getting a bit dirty from all the trees and leaves that are around. I’m looking at…

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

29/01/2024
Do floor to ceiling tiles ad much resale value

Building A New House

They make the room much easier to clean for one, reflect more light (if light colour tiles are used), and you dont end up with dust on the top edge of tiles (cause most…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum