Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Floor plan feedback please

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
Really appreciate your feedback and suggestions on the attached floor plan. Is there anything that sticks out, that we should change before we move on to the windows, doors and facade?

Thanks,
First impressions....The layout and spacing is a bit odd. Getting to the linen via the study doesn't make much sense. I'd prefer it closer to the laundry. Two WIR for bed 1? Bed 4 with the smallest WIR. How many toilets?
d@n
First impressions....The layout and spacing is a bit odd. Getting to the linen via the study doesn't make much sense. I'd prefer it closer to the laundry. Two WIR for bed 1? Bed 4 with the smallest WIR. How many toilets?

Thanks d@n for your feedback.
Actually it is not a walk in linen, it is a small walk in library. the linen cupboard is adjacent to the theater room. We prefer two WIR for the master bedroom...for Bed4 it is a built in wardrobe, it is actually a guest bedroom.
thanks again
Unless you're in the tropics, your south facing living areas will need heating in winter. So I'd be adding a doorway between the kitchen & the hallway, so you can just heat your living areas, not your entire home constantly.

The front lounge is the only living room that will be light, & heated by the northern sun. But not too much you can do about that with a northern frontage block.

I would flip the plan though. Garage & living areas to the west, bedrooms to the east. As you really don't want west facing bedrooms, they can get sweltering hot on summer afternoons & evenings.

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/orientation
Laundry is very skinny. Theatre room is interesting, where are you putting your screen, where are you putting your speakers? Where does the dining room table go, is there enough room to walk around it? Ensuite looks small as well.

That's my thoughts.
ddarroch
Unless you're in the tropics, your south facing living areas will need heating in winter. So I'd be adding a doorway between the kitchen & the hallway, so you can just heat your living areas, not your entire home constantly.

The front lounge is the only living room that will be light, & heated by the northern sun. But not too much you can do about that with a northern frontage block.

I would flip the plan though. Garage & living areas to the west, bedrooms to the east. As you really don't want west facing bedrooms, they can get studying hot on summer afternoons & evenings.

Thank you ddarroch for your comments.
If I flip the plan would the living areas be very hot during the day, that is where we spend most of the time. My Architect suggested putting narrow windows for the bedrooms with external blinds...
thanks
yogiebear
Laundry is very skinny. Theatre room is interesting, where are you putting your screen, where are you putting your speakers? Where does the dining room table go, is there enough room to walk around it? Ensuite looks small as well.

That's my thoughts.

Thanks Yogiebear,
The screen will go to the wall adjacent to the hallway. I am thinking of engaging a company to set up the home theatre....
the dining area will be 5m by 4m approximately
thanks

I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback for a similar plan that I have designed myself keeping family needs in mind.
MBX3

I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback for a similar plan that I have designed myself keeping family needs in mind.

Its a good start - I would prefer to have garage on the left so swap woth master bed 1 if you could, for orientation reasons
MBX3

Hi MBX3
It might be a good idea to put your own post up rather than piggy back on other people's posts. I see you also put your plans on another thread.
It just gets messy when people reply if it's not clear what plan is being commented on.
If you start your own thread (probably in new home thread) you can just change the title as your planning and build progress. People can then follow you easier.
chippy
MBX3

Hi MBX3
It might be a good idea to put your own post up rather than piggy back on other people's posts. I see you also put your plans on another thread.
It just gets messy when people reply if it's not clear what plan is being commented on.
If you start your own thread (probably in new home thread) you can just change the title as your planning and build progress. People can then follow you easier.

Thank you for pointing out. I am very new to this forum. I get your point. I put it here hoping this was the common thread (like Whirlpool) where everyone just shares their floorplans and all people following this thread get to see & comment on new floorplan. Anyway I will create a new post and remove one from thread.
MBX3

unable to read the dimensions but my suggestions begin with the location of the stove in a better vistu north facing location with a splashback window and a smaller kitchen window on the west wall allows for more wall cabinet and, if the retreat is to be used for quiet, space it needs a door, the wide hallway and location of the pwder room takes too much space away from the kitchen and the bathroom and pwdr are more private when the doors open off the small hallway and rearranging both laundry doors allows more space to use an ironing board and/or some more counter or storage along the west wall BUT if this is not your plan you must be careful about copywright as we are not legally allowed to copy others' plans
oklouise
MBX3

unable to read the dimensions but my suggestions begin with the location of the stove in a better vistu north facing location with a splashback window and a smaller kitchen window on the west wall allows for more wall cabinet and, if the retreat is to be used for quiet, space it needs a door, the wide hallway and location of the pwder room takes too much space away from the kitchen and the bathroom and pwdr are more private when the doors open off the small hallway and rearranging both laundry doors allows more space to use an ironing board and/or some more counter or storage along the west wall BUT if this is not your plan you must be careful about copywright as we are not legally allowed to copy others' plans

I own copyrights for every pixel of this floorplan. May be I need to put a copyright note on it.
I appreciate your feedback, actually we had kitchen just how you suggested but locating pantry & butler close to kitchen made it difficult for me to have grand dining & family. Pantry also was blocking view of kitchen completely from family room. So we moved it where it is.
Having kitchen stove on West wall also meant we would not get Alfresco that we now have (only 2m wide but can deck all the way to fence to have 3m usable outdoor space
amms
Hello,
Really appreciate your feedback and suggestions on the attached floor plan. Is there anything that sticks out, that we should change before we move on to the windows, doors and facade?

Thanks,

what is the width and length of your block and do you realise that this plan is about 370 sqm?
oklouise
amms
Hello,

Thanks,

what is the width and length of your block and do you realise that this plan is about 370 sqm?

Thanks oklouise,
my property is 61 * 15.24
based on your original plans my suggestions include two alternate options for relocating the study and uses the old study for NW family room to brighten up the family/dining/kitchen and opens the laundry to the rear with optional extra powder room with easy external access from alfresco and garden..the kitchen is more spacious with a 3m x 1m island and the master suite has more generous ens with twin wiw, there's a more private area for the kids bedrooms and family bathroom with generous biw, extra storage and the recommended sized domestic media room could have raised floors for seating but you need to consider suitable extra furniture to make sure that every room has a purpose and/or consider reducing the size of the whole house eg unless guest are expected to be long staying family members maybe you could lose the extra bathroom, front lounge and some of the study lounge and potentially reduce the size and cost of the house by around 40 sqm (the size of a double garage) and/or consider a multi purpose building in the backyard to make use of all that extra space
amms
ddarroch

I would flip the plan though. Garage & living areas to the west, bedrooms to the east. As you really don't want west facing bedrooms, they can get studying hot on summer afternoons & evenings.

Thank you ddarroch for your comments.
If I flip the plan would the living areas be very hot during the day, that is where we spend most of the time. My Architect suggested putting narrow windows for the bedrooms with external blinds...
thanks

It's a catch 22 situation.

The block orientation means you won't have many northern windows, & you'll have lots of eastern & western windows. These windows are difficult to shade, so some rooms will get hot in summer (or you'll spend a lot of money & produce a for of GHG emissions running the AC).

But most people are comfortable at 23°C, while they're comfortable sleeping at around 18°C. In summer the daytime maximum temperature will peak in the early afternoon, but the western rooms will continue to get hot for longer, as the sun strikes western windows for many, many hours.

Conversely, the coolest time of the day will be in the early morning, from 5-7am. Eastern rooms will generally start off cool, with the eastern sunshine adding to the heat load of the house.

It's a personal choice, but I'd prefer to have west facing living areas, instead of West facing bedrooms. I can't think of anything worse than west facing bedrooms.

If possible, plant deciduous trees on the western side of the home, to shade or in winter. High, narrow, clerestory (highlight) windows up under the eaves could keep the sun off the windows for an extra hour or two, reducing the heat load a bit. It may also help with privacy, of you have close by neighbours.

As mentioned, it's a very large home, which will not only be expensive to build, but expensive to heat & cool.

Also large homes are very detrimental to the environment, producing significantly more GHG emissions through their embodied energy.

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/materials/embodied-energy
MBX3
chippy
MBX3

Hi MBX3

Thank you for pointing out. I am very new to this forum. I get your point. I put it here hoping this was the common thread (like Whirlpool) where everyone just shares their floorplans and all people following this thread get to see & comment on new floorplan. Anyway I will create a new post and remove one from thread.

There is a common floorplan thread somewhere on here. If you can find it & revive it that would be good.
Hi amms , I'd thought I had a go at your plans for another thought process to consider hot west facing bedrooms comments here while keeping your original brief. So by swapping bed 3 & 4 with media, it could potentially provide a better outcome for the rest of the areas, except I didn't like the line of sight of kitchen island from entry. So maybe a nice feature steel glass barn door here creating the opportunity to close off the rear living zone to reduce heating/ cooling load. B3, bathroom, B4 ,WIR, powder are all the same sizes. Media, laundry, kitchen and court are slightly bigger. Study and pantry slightly smaller. Suggesting converting corridor linen to a walk-in-linen, or a mudroom with garage access. Unfortunately there are no more walk-in-library but loved the idea of a full height feature wall library behind the study desk like shown. As you can see, I like to align walls. There are structural efficiencies in them but visually can be aesthetically pleasing. Correct me if I am wrong, the central entry into master/ study appears intentional like a feature? I tried to get rid of the double corridor and recess in both doors but if a direct access into the study required, a secret hidden door from WIR could be a cool feature lol. Lastly, one of the ways to get passive solar heating for your south facing living areas are skylights. I have shown it above the kitchen island. Its definitely a grand statement but only if budget permits! Just make sure it has blinds for summer.

All the best and good luck with finalizing your plans! JL
Related
7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum