Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

KDR Metricon Balmaine 51 or Eden Brae Waldorf 50 Mk 2

Page 1 of 1
New to the forum, first time poster and 1st time builder (possibly).

I'm looking to knock down and rebuild in Kellyville after 18 years at my current property. Current house is a modified Clarendon Ashcroft 31 which we bought 2 years after it was built. The build quality is shocking BTW. The house was adequate when the kids were little but now they're adults (18 & 21), it is time to move, extend, knockdown and rebuild, or kick them out

So, after weighing up all the options (we had a design drafted a few years for a large extension) we decided to go down the KDR route. We have an 807 sqm block among other similar blocks, great neighbours, love where we live etc. Having never built before, this is a new experience. I apologise in advance for the length of this post, but I have lots of questions and am wanting to hear opinions from others far more advanced in this than I.

We have basically come down to two designs: the Metricon Balmaine 51 or the Eden Brae Waldorf 50 Mk2. We have quotes for both and have paid for a tender with Metricon and are about to pay for a tender with Eden Brae. The quoted price is similar for both: $627k from Metricon vs $621k from Eden Brae with their specials and some display options included in both quotes.

We have told both that we don't want their stoves and cooktops but just provisions made for our current appliances (I just bought new top of the line Miele Oven, Steam Oven, Cooktop and 2 x warming drawers around 12 months ago) HWS (Sanden Heat Pump less than 12 months old) and just to include aircon ducting only (23kw ESP Actron Aircon, 8 zones and wifi control) as both their included aircon is smaller and 2 zones only.

Metricon has said no problems, they'll still supply us the included equipment but not connect or install it so we can put our own in after handover. EB has indicated they'll take the included items out and rebate us some money back. Prior to paying for the tender, the sale rep has asked us to consider what else we want thrown in at no cost, over and above any rebates etc. He is basically talking about Display options rather than anything we would discuss with their studio people down the track.

We have tentatively discussed a third garage ($12k) at no cost and that does not seem to be a problem, but I don't know what else to ask for. Reading through the options list of things we haven't already selected, some possibilities are:

Galley wall unit & cupboards in Butlers Pantry ($5k)
Walk in wardrobe upgrade in Beds 2,3,&4 ($2.3k ea)
Walk in robe units in master b/r (an eye watering $14k)
Fireplace in Lounge ($20k)
Laundry Upgrade - tall storage units in polyurethane ($5.5k)

Any advice on how to approach this?

So far, it is line ball as to which way we go. The Balmaine 51 makes better use of our block, and Metricon are promising build times of under six months due to the way they construct, which they say, allows them to build a house in a much shorter time frame.However, their display option pricing is secret until you've signed a contract. The quoted price is brick on the lower level only., to get full brick will cost extra but they won't do full brick to all exterior faces, one has to be in cladding to enable them to do their rapid building technique. Dunno I want to pay an extra $20k or so for full brick and not have full brick all around. I suspect their options pricing is more expensive than Eden Brae. Metricon did quote $22k for a triple garage vs $12k from Eden Brae.

That said, the Waldorf works well on our block and Eden Bare are a lot more transparent about their options lkist - they gave use the display options list with pricing when asked. Builders I know have all recommended EB as a quality builder over Metricon, so there's that.The price from Eden Brae already includes around $80k in options we have selected. The downside is they have indiacted if we were signing a contract now, we would be looking at a 9 month build starting in the new year - so a much longer time frame than Metricon.

Opinions on Metricon vs Eden Bare, particularly if you have dealt with bioth appreciated.

I have budgeted $150k for Driveways and landscaping, $25k for demolition and another $50k for contingencies. based on a purchase price of $700k. Is this realistic or have I under/over budgeted?

Cheers
We are still in a two horse race, with Eden Brae slightly ahead. Price and budget has gone up. Firstly the Eden Brae Waldorf 50 Mk II. We have had to flip the rear ground floor around for the Alfresco to be on the right of the block. The garage has to be on the right hand side due to the gradient. On the original plans, the Alfresco is on the opposite side, which doesn't work on our block

Modified Floorplan

Opal Facade - Haven't chosen bricks or colours yet

Now to Metricon:

Site Plan

I'll attach the plans later. Computer currently says no
selous
New to the forum, first time poster and 1st time builder (possibly).

I'm looking to knock down and rebuild in Kellyville after 18 years at my current property. Current house is a modified Clarendon Ashcroft 31 which we bought 2 years after it was built. The build quality is shocking BTW. The house was adequate when the kids were little but now they're adults (18 & 21), it is time to move, extend, knockdown and rebuild, or kick them out

So, after weighing up all the options (we had a design drafted a few years for a large extension) we decided to go down the KDR route. We have an 807 sqm block among other similar blocks, great neighbours, love where we live etc. Having never built before, this is a new experience. I apologise in advance for the length of this post, but I have lots of questions and am wanting to hear opinions from others far more advanced in this than I.

We have basically come down to two designs: the Metricon Balmaine 51 or the Eden Brae Waldorf 50 Mk2. We have quotes for both and have paid for a tender with Metricon and are about to pay for a tender with Eden Brae. The quoted price is similar for both: $627k from Metricon vs $621k from Eden Brae with their specials and some display options included in both quotes.

We have told both that we don't want their stoves and cooktops but just provisions made for our current appliances (I just bought new top of the line Miele Oven, Steam Oven, Cooktop and 2 x warming drawers around 12 months ago) HWS (Sanden Heat Pump less than 12 months old) and just to include aircon ducting only (23kw ESP Actron Aircon, 8 zones and wifi control) as both their included aircon is smaller and 2 zones only.

Metricon has said no problems, they'll still supply us the included equipment but not connect or install it so we can put our own in after handover. EB has indicated they'll take the included items out and rebate us some money back. Prior to paying for the tender, the sale rep has asked us to consider what else we want thrown in at no cost, over and above any rebates etc. He is basically talking about Display options rather than anything we would discuss with their studio people down the track.

We have tentatively discussed a third garage ($12k) at no cost and that does not seem to be a problem, but I don't know what else to ask for. Reading through the options list of things we haven't already selected, some possibilities are:

Galley wall unit & cupboards in Butlers Pantry ($5k)
Walk in wardrobe upgrade in Beds 2,3,&4 ($2.3k ea)
Walk in robe units in master b/r (an eye watering $14k)
Fireplace in Lounge ($20k)
Laundry Upgrade - tall storage units in polyurethane ($5.5k)

Any advice on how to approach this?

So far, it is line ball as to which way we go. The Balmaine 51 makes better use of our block, and Metricon are promising build times of under six months due to the way they construct, which they say, allows them to build a house in a much shorter time frame.However, their display option pricing is secret until you've signed a contract. The quoted price is brick on the lower level only., to get full brick will cost extra but they won't do full brick to all exterior faces, one has to be in cladding to enable them to do their rapid building technique. Dunno I want to pay an extra $20k or so for full brick and not have full brick all around. I suspect their options pricing is more expensive than Eden Brae. Metricon did quote $22k for a triple garage vs $12k from Eden Brae.

That said, the Waldorf works well on our block and Eden Bare are a lot more transparent about their options lkist - they gave use the display options list with pricing when asked. Builders I know have all recommended EB as a quality builder over Metricon, so there's that.The price from Eden Brae already includes around $80k in options we have selected. The downside is they have indiacted if we were signing a contract now, we would be looking at a 9 month build starting in the new year - so a much longer time frame than Metricon.

Opinions on Metricon vs Eden Bare, particularly if you have dealt with bioth appreciated.

I have budgeted $150k for Driveways and landscaping, $25k for demolition and another $50k for contingencies. based on a purchase price of $700k. Is this realistic or have I under/over budgeted?

Cheers

Hi, We are also in the same boat .. we are planning to have our pre quotation meeting next Saturday with Metricon and Eden and when I was reading your post, I felt that we both were in similar situation. Our land is in North Kellyville which has 20m frontage.. We are planning to get quotation for waterford 53 from Metricon and Waldorf 50 from Eden. Because we like to use the maximum width.. I am so sorry this is the first time we are going to build the house so I cannot help with you most of your inquiries. However I am planning to follow ur thread to get more understanding.. All the best..
Love the Waterford layout, but we wanted more than the 2.5 bathrooms. The Balmaine used to be in the Signature range and our Metricon sales consultant reckons it is three best bang for the buck in the Prestige range.

A tip. We have tenders in with both and got them both to agree to refund the other's tender fee if we selected them, so either way we only end up paying for one tender - provided we go with one or the other.
Hi Selous, I'm just starting to explore the KDR option, also in Kellyville and looking at the Eden B Waldorf 50 II.

But i have sloping block and not sure yet how this will work out.

How did you settle your choice, curious to hear your experiences?
Related
5/04/2024
Eden Brae Homes Feedback

Building A New House

I built with EB back on 2009. Check out this thread on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12911&p=154061#p154061 I can't speak for recent expericience however, we had no…

21/09/2023
KDR - Home Equity Loan vs Construction Loan

Home Finance

The biggest challenge will be if you take out a loan and then run out of money - you'll have an incomplete security and lenders do not like this so you can get stuck.…

21/09/2023
KDR - Looking for feedback on Kialla Homes

Building A New House

Hi, I am looking into doing a KDR in Melbourne and am contemplating using Kialla Homes. I am looking for feedback on them from others who have built with them.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum