Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

My Floorplan - Any Advice - Stroud Montego

Page 1 of 1
We're going with Stroud Homes and will start building around Oct - November this year. We have a 3 acre block in Whittlesea and the frontage is 43m however we need to leave 5m per side. We have gone with the Montego 329 however we have adjusted it quite a lot and we want the house to sit on an angle. The living room has been extended and the ceilings will be cathedral with the opposite end featuring a stone fireplace all the way to the top of the cathedral. I have cut and paste a heap of things therefore things might not be too scale however you get the drift..

Is there anything you guys recommend we get rid of, change or add? Bedroom 3 and 4 will have walk in robes.. I just couldn't be bothered creating it haha. Upon entry you walk in and there's a glass wall where we'll have a garden. Walk in Pantry will also overlook the garden. The sun rises between the ensuite and master bedroom.

my main suggestion would be to change the garage door for easier access, with reversing area and parking bay to the side of the house rather than crowded at the front..changing the garage door also allows for wiw for beds 3 and 4 and bed 2 has a full wall of biw and looking down the hallway shows a view outside through the laundry rather than a long dark corridor ..minor changes to the master suite makes movement around the room easier and the family bathroom could have a window in the toilet and be better screened from the front entry hall that now lead out to the garden courtyard and through to the alfresco...total floor area is 380sqm including all undercover areas and the new shape makes a much simpler roof line with gables to the family room and alfresco..
oklouise
my main suggestion would be to change the garage door for easier access, with reversing area and parking bay to the side of the house rather than crowded at the front..changing the garage door also allows for wiw for beds 3 and 4 and bed 2 has a full wall of biw and looking down the hallway shows a view outside through the laundry rather than a long dark corridor ..minor changes to the master suite makes movement around the room easier and the family bathroom could have a window in the toilet and be better screened from the front entry hall that now lead out to the garden courtyard and through to the alfresco...total floor area is 380sqm including all undercover areas and the new shape makes a much simpler roof line with gables to the family room and alfresco..

Wow this is amazing. I actually love the way the garage was .. It's the thing that caught my eye. The driveway is on the left so were going to do a big driveway to the garage. Do you think it'd still be a bad idea?
Stina_S
oklouise

Wow this is amazing. I actually love the way the garage was .. It's the thing that caught my eye. The driveway is on the left so were going to do a big driveway to the garage. Do you think it'd still be a bad idea?

Oh also.. We have cathedral ceilings in the bedroom hence the configuration of the room
You mention that furniture placement within your design is not to scale, my suggestion is that you do take the time to do that so you can be assured of having enough space in each room to meet your needs.

The family / dining space will presumably be the area used most and you may find that the length will be insufficient, esp if you do include a fireplace at one end. Allowing stools at your island, dining table and chairs (accounting for when people are seated), and your sofas in a reasonably sized family area, IMO you would need the overall length to be 9 -10 metres at a minimum.

It’s fairly easy to plot it out, but better to do so than find you are having to compromise on furniture size and design in order to squeeze everything in. 😕
with acreage there's no need to have the driveway squeezed up so close to the house as that make it look like a house meant for the suburbs...with three acres you need to zone the different areas and the garage opening towards the entry is much too cramped and means that there's no room for more than a skimpy garden along the front and you can still have a sweeping driveway but you should also make space for a few guest cars and reversing bay so that you can reverse out of the garage and turn around to drive out forwards and the best place for a parking area is along the eastern side with the 5m set back it would be so much better if the first view of the house isn't about the cars and rearranging the garage allows for the wiw for the kids bedrooms, easy top make the family room as long as you like, the master suite can still have a raked ceiling and the gap between the kitchen and the media room needs to be wider than the original plan
Stina_S
Stina_S
oklouise

Oh also.. We have cathedral ceilings in the bedroom hence the configuration of the room

I really like your floor plan! We are building a Montego 329 as well!
Stina_S
We're going with Stroud Homes and will start building around Oct - November this year. We have a 3 acre block in Whittlesea and the frontage is 43m however we need to leave 5m per side. We have gone with the Montego 329 however we have adjusted it quite a lot and we want the house to sit on an angle. The living room has been extended and the ceilings will be cathedral with the opposite end featuring a stone fireplace all the way to the top of the cathedral. I have cut and paste a heap of things therefore things might not be too scale however you get the drift..

Is there anything you guys recommend we get rid of, change or add? Bedroom 3 and 4 will have walk in robes.. I just couldn't be bothered creating it haha. Upon entry you walk in and there's a glass wall where we'll have a garden. Walk in Pantry will also overlook the garden. The sun rises between the ensuite and master bedroom.

How did you go with your home??
Hi Stina,
how did you end up going with the whole process and build. Are you happy with the result?
We are potentially looking at a Shroud home also in outer Eastern Melbourne, plans suite but the only thing is alot of their inclusions still look pretty basic compared to the likes of Carlisle, Henley etc.
Did you add a whole heap of upgrades?
Schumi5
Hi Stina,
how did you end up going with the whole process and build. Are you happy with the result?
We are potentially looking at a Shroud home also in outer Eastern Melbourne, plans suite but the only thing is alot of their inclusions still look pretty basic compared to the likes of Carlisle, Henley etc.
Did you add a whole heap of upgrades?

Hi there. We actually ended up doing a private build. We found that we wanted to change so much. A few of the rooms were kept the same but were obsessed with be pavilion style home. We have finished our build now. Follow me on insta. home.below.the.hill . Below is the layout.

Related
16/08/2023
Floorplan

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for your feedback.

8/06/2023
Hello to all of you. Any advice please?

Building A New House

A question. Im in Queensland and building a new home. We managed to reach practical completion 6 weeks ago but we haven't heard any date for handover yet. Who should we…

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum