Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Slab Fail Frame Doesn't Align

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, first time home owner here. Frame erection started just a day ago. Flew my drone over to have a look and it appears the slab did not follow the plan in regards to the recessed area (powder/laundry/linen). Concreter must have placed the formwork in the wrong place.

Notice the following:

1. Plan shows the laundry recessed area should align with the garage. Photo does not.
2. Misalignment caused the laundry bottom plates to float. Ie, not resting on the slab! Refer to 2 items circled in the bottom right of the photo.
3. One of the drainage pipes is on the normal level of the slab (circled yellow). However, the plan shows that this should be in the recessed area.

How do I go about this? Does the slab need to be redone? Or just filled in the laundry section (to support the bottom plates) and massaged in the powder room (to extend the recessed area) section?
Happens all the time! Wrong/not properly validated set out done by concreter probably.
Now he would need to extend footing over or you carpenters would need to adjust the framing.
alexp79
Happens all the time! Wrong/not properly validated set out done by concreter probably.
Now he would need to extend footing over or you carpenters would need to adjust the framing.

Funny thing is I have footage of them pouring the concrete and the concreter was even measuring from the front of the house as to where to put it!
So may be framing is wrong (less probably though)? Can you measure yourself?
Also, looks like drain is in the wrong place, so more chance it was a concreter.

But he could clearly see the drain being in the wrong place? So what was wrong with him?
Framing is definitely right when I compare it to the plans. Watching over the footage again, they definitely put it in the wrong place. One side of the formwork should be in between the two yellow circled drain pipes.
alexp79
So may be framing is wrong (less probably though)? Can you measure yourself?
Also, looks like drain is in the wrong place, so more chance it was a concreter.

But he could clearly see the drain being in the wrong place? So what was wrong with him?

I think from the plans, the pipe for the toilet sink is to sit under the frame (frame then needs to be modified to allow access to pipe). You can see a circle/crosshair in the plans just behind the toilet sink which I would imagine is the drain pipe. In the photos, you can't see this one pipe because it is covered by the framing (which hasn't been cut to allow access to pipe). They should have cut this pipe and put the formwork over it - that would follow the plans when the form work is removed and the frame sits on top of the pipe
The grano worker has got his slab step down slightly out.
Good thing for you is that it will cause no issues.
It looks like the plumber got his set out right. The pipe in the powder room is the toilet so being at floor level is fine. The floor grades down from the toilet to the floor waste in the middle of the room so the tiler will be able to get the fall you need.
The floor outside the laundry and behind the linen will need to be patched but that's not the end of the world.
chippy
The grano worker has got his slab step down slightly out.
Good thing for you is that it will cause no issues.
It looks like the plumber got his set out right. The pipe in the powder room is the toilet so being at floor level is fine. The floor grades down from the toilet to the floor waste in the middle of the room so the tiler will be able to get the fall you need.
The floor outside the laundry and behind the linen will need to be patched but that's not the end of the world.

Thanks. Laundry is fine as long as they fill it with concrete (not ok if they just slip some material to fill in the bottom plate of the frame.

I was more worried about the fall in the toilet as it's a smaller area and the fall will be too much. Next thing I don't want is the tiles in the toilet to the hallway not being flush - which defeats the purpose of having a recess in the first place!
The toilet, vanity and doorway are the high points in the room all falling to the floorwaste. The tiler can achieve that with the way it's set out. He just won't need screed along that wall.
In Victoria any rectification to slab need to have certified rectification detail/document from your Engineer, generally they need to provide a detail how it needs to be filled/cut locally, I recommend to relocate bracing on those walls if any.
Builders I know take more care when they know home owner is knowledgeable and or has a knowledgeable inspector with him,word goes right down the line, they will put their better trades with the more likely fussy trouble maker and or knowledgeable owner,it's not too late to put them on notice via knowledge, knowledge is power.

Building is never an exact science, and mistakes happen all the time. If you builder is honest and tells you there's a problem and how they are going to rectify it, I wouldn't worry. Sometimes its just better to give things a couple of days. The carpenter would have taken photos, sent them to your supervisor, supervisor sent to concretor and a conversation about the rectification would be underway. Things can still progress al the way up to loading the roof, you have a few weeks yet
Thanks all. Th assigned site supervisor is actually on leave since the slab was poured. Not sure how efficient the replacement is. Having a simple mistake early on in the build does not help my confidence in them. I will bring it up and see how they respond. Hopefully, them knowing I have a drone and can take a look at any time will make them extra careful...
Joker
Builders I know take more care when they know home owner is knowledgeable and or has a knowledgeable inspector with him,word goes right down the line, they will put their better trades with the more likely fussy trouble maker and or knowledgeable owner,it's not too late to put them on notice via knowledge, knowledge is power.

Tried this today. Told my SS to let me know when framing is done so I can get an inspection done. Asked me why I wanted to do an inspection every step of the way. I said I'm only doing 2 inspections out of the 5 available from Housepect. I think I hit a nerve or something. I was only going to do a pre-lining inspection but seeing their competency, I decided to add another one just for peace of mind
I think you will be more competent and diligent than the SS. Accompany Housepect, learn, and do you own extra inspections with the SS’s assistance.
Get. An. Independent. Building. Inspection. Done. At. Every. Stage.

Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

8/05/2024
Slab overhang (by window frame)

General Discussion

This is the best I have, as it is plastered internally now. I should add there is a steel post in the corner of the room between the window and the glass sliding door,…

15/01/2024
Is this a defect in my window frame?

Windows & Doors

Its the flashing and is normal. Some builders cover them up others just leave them handing. You can cover it up with an aluminium bracket or ask the builder.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum