Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Sikaflex / Silicone instead of Grout?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We have a outdoor alfresco and outdoor courtyard area which are both tiled.

In both areas, I noticed they grouted the entire area apart from the middle lines, I thought this was odd but let it go as I knew they weren’t finished. Anyway.. almost ready for our PCI and I’ve noticed that both these middle sections have not been grouted but instead filled in with either sikaflex or silicone, is this normal?

I’ve checked my current house and the entire area has been grouted. I personally don’t like it and do not think it’s right, nor can I figure out any reason as to why they would do this? This was never discussed with us during any part of our build, including our meeting with the tilers.

I’m hoping someone can shed some info so I can question it during our PCI.

Thank you.
If it's a large area, most likely for an expansion joint so the grout doesn't crack.

FYI, it's more work/money to caulk it than grout.

The Alfresco area is approx 4.6m x 3.570m and the courtyard is approx 4.330m x 1.4m.

No bigger than what we currently have with no expansion joint.. just unsure of standard practice, it looks horrible and very unusual, especially because they’ve used grey grout yet the tiles are almost white..
Expansion joints are good practice. I'm not sure of the exact spacing but particularly when the tiles are subject to direct sunlight the differential in expansion and shrinkage can cause problems with tiles popping or cracking.
It seems that your builder and tiler have done the right thing. They should have matched the silicon to the grout colour so it isn't so obvious.
Okay, good to know.

Thanks for your comments guys. I might mention my concern with the different colour though. Appreciate the replies
Related
4/10/2023
Sikaflex Pro instead of Window Flashing?

Renovation + Home Improvement

AFAIK, flashing is a minimum standard. Out of curiosity is your window glass stamped with AS requirements in any of the corners of each pane? Im almost certan if theyre…

5/06/2024
New home build: Heat pump HWS instead of Rainwater tank

Building A New House

It always astounded me that PV systems were not included in the 6 star standard. Note that new homes in Victoria are, from 1 May 2024, required to be built to a 7 star standard.

5/08/2023
Grout tile around spigot?

Paving & Concreting

Thanks splashers, that makes sense. The waterproofing guy used this Davco product, I will raise the issue with builder and hopefully get resolved with him - if not…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum