Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

CCTV on a new built house

Page 1 of 1
Hi, just want some advise.

I am building a two-storey house and should I install CCTV with the builders? or is this cheaper to do it after handover?

The builder quoted $3373 for 4 cameras and 1 intercom (installed), not sure about the brand and the quality as I'm yet to get an answer from them about this.

Should I just tell the builders to initiate a point for "future" cameras and I can call a technician to do this CCTV installation?

How much does intalling cameras cost if I buy my own CCTV?

Thanks.
I asked my builder to install the intercom, however, I had the cat 6 cable roughed in for 6 to 8 cameras which I will install at a later date.

Just buy ring stickups and doorbell.
I was in the same situation six months back, turned down builders offer for around $3k and instead installed myself 2 stickups and 1 doorbell under $1k. No wires, and works like a charm. good thing is you can fit anywhere you like and change the location as well if you need. Everyone sells it, Bunnings, HN, JB-HiFi etc.

https://au-en.ring.com/
Yeah, I think I will just do it myself after handover. Thanks!
I asked the builder to install all the cat6 wiring for all 8 of my future cameras. Cost me 400. When I moved into the house electrician just hooked the cameras up. He said if the wiring wasn’t there would have been very hard and time consuming especially for cameras downstairs. Worth getting the builder to do the wiring and terminate into one point like the study etc

It's not hard to rough in yourself. Just go to wholesaler and get a box of cat 6 cable 305m and then work out where your NVR box will be and then run a single cable from that to every camera location. If you can also run a cable from the NVR to where the telephone/router box will be. Also while you are at the wholesalers grab some cable clips to clip all the cables in nicely in the roof.

ligongl
I was in the same situation six months back, turned down builders offer for around $3k and instead installed myself 2 stickups and 1 doorbell under $1k. No wires, and works like a charm. good thing is you can fit anywhere you like and change the location as well if you need. Everyone sells it, Bunnings, HN, JB-HiFi etc.

Ring is good for retro fit and if you don’t mind your images being sent to the cloud.

If you have access to run cables a hardwired solution with local storage is far better.

I myself have a UniFi system.
AJW
ligongl

Ring is good for retro fit and if you don’t mind your images being sent to the cloud.

If you have access to run cables a hardwired solution with local storage is far better.

I myself have a UniFi system.

Do you need the provisions for the cables to install UniFi system? or is it a stick on like Ring?
[quote="cs212":35exek0r][quote="AJW":35exek0r][quote="ligongl":35exek0r]Just buy ring stickups and doorbell.

[url=https://au-en.ring.com/:35exek0r]https://au-en.ring.com/[/url:35exek0r][/quote:35exek0r]

I myself have a UniFi system.[/quote:35exek0r]
Do you need the provisions for the cables to install UniFi system? or is it a stick on like Ring?[/quote:35exek0r]

UniFi you need to cable it. But that was my point if you have access to run cables then in my opinion it is the best way to go.
If you are running cat 6 cable for future cameras just make sure your on top of site supervisor to pull through soffits. I ran all my cables for 8 cameras, drew diagrams where to pull through and the chippies still forgot to pull through. So now I either have to cut a large hole in soffit to reach in and grab it, or unscrew and lift of the roof -either way is a PITA.
supersleuth
If you are running cat 6 cable for future cameras just make sure your on top of site supervisor to pull through soffits. I ran all my cables for 8 cameras, drew diagrams where to pull through and the chippies still forgot to pull through. So now I either have to cut a large hole in soffit to reach in and grab it, or unscrew and lift of the roof -either way is a PITA.
Better off not trusting the chippies. Put a couple of nice big loops clipped with a single nail big clip above the suffit location then 25mm holesaw through suffit in correct location and hook out with a wire hook. It will pull free of the clip.

Jayjay84
I asked the builder to install all the cat6 wiring for all 8 of my future cameras. Cost me 400. When I moved into the house electrician just hooked the cameras up. He said if the wiring wasn’t there would have been very hard and time consuming especially for cameras downstairs. Worth getting the builder to do the wiring and terminate into one point like the study etc

which builder was it/ Carlisle homes is charging me around 1k for 7 data points and some weather proof enclosures
Related
12/07/2023
Prewiring a House for Data, CCTV, and Future-Proofing

Building A New House

Scientists have used random matrix theory to demonstrate theoretically that the neutrino mass hierarchy can be explained mathematically. When a substance is fragmented…

29/07/2023
House possibly built on spring (1960's home)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We purchased a 1960s property that is on timber stumps mostly, and a newer section is on concrete stumps. We had a building inspection initially and they reported some…

9/08/2023
Built-in Shelving

General Discussion

Strong enough for what? For linen, absolutely. To climb on, no. I've got similar shelving in my garage and it holds a decent amount of weight. 900 wide shelves will carry…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum