Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Metricon Bordeaux 59 Build Journey (Brisbane)

Page 1 of 1
Hi all.

We’ve recently started the build on our Bordeaux 59 with Metricon - a modified version of the Bordeaux 56A and welcome you along this journey with us.

Being our first build, we’d appreciate any advice or tips you may have and will definitely try to answer your questions to the best of our abilities.

BACKGROUND:
We purchased our block of land (760sqm) a few years ago with the Bordeaux 56A floor plan in mind. Since first stepping foot in the display home in Rochedale, there hasn’t been any other floor plan that has turned our heads like this one! Definitely love at first site.

MODIFICATIONS:
We’ve made a few changes to the plan to suit our family’s needs.

- Added a Master Ensuite (Bedroom 5) to the front of the house by removing the Study and extending out the Living room.

- Extended the garage for extra space and to add symmetry to the front façade due to Bedroom 5 extension.

- Added a gas burner and rangehood in Butler’s pantry

- Sunken Rumpus Room

- Merged Bedroom 2 and Bedroom 4’s ensuite bathrooms to make a family bathroom

TIMELINE (to date):

Build Sketches - October 2018
Preliminary Contract - February 2019
Studio M selections - July 2019
Final Contract - November 2019
Build start - 19 February 2019
Concrete fill - 28 February 2019

It took us awhile to commit to the build because it was important to us to have PVC windows, as opposed to what Metricon were providing: wood/aluminium - and they were eventually able to come to the table.

We went with a wood grain finished PVC - so we’re both anxious and excited to see how it turns out as the wooden arched windows is what makes the Bordeaux such a stunning house.

In terms of the timeframe in-between the PC, Selections, FC and build - there’ve been quite a bit of variations from both us and Metricon...so we’re honestly just super happy that the build has finally started 😂.
hi im about to start my journey as well

just had my second meeting with them where i had to curb my expectations given the costs and additions started to creep in.

Just wondering if ALL your modifications incurred alot of extra costs?
i am going to ask them to change out study into a Void, and modify the bathroom similar to yours. Things like the void should technically be reducing material and making things easier, but i fear they are going to charge me for even the simplest things

i also want to extend the garage and add a workshop/storage with ventilation as i am going to use it as a server room for all telephone and other equipment. How much did it set you back?

Also what is the benefit of PVC? i wouldnt even know where to start with these types of questions for them to customise!
How exciting! Where about's in Brisbane are you building? Do you have any plans to share? Looking forward following the journey!
FortuneCat

just had my second meeting with them where i had to curb my expectations given the costs and additions started to creep in.

i am going to ask them to change out study into a Void, and modify the bathroom similar to yours. Things like the void should technically be reducing material and making things easier, but i fear they are going to charge me for even the simplest things

i also want to extend the garage and add a workshop/storage with ventilation as i am going to use it as a server room for all telephone and other equipment. How much did it set you back?

Also what is the benefit of PVC? i wouldnt even know where to start with these types of questions for them to customise!

Hi FortuneCat,

How exciting!!

The structural modifications came to about $67,000 - that also included us changing the balcony in Bedroom 1 (main ensuite). We halved the balcony to make room for a study, which I forgot to mention in the previous post.

Unfortunately, they didn’t provide us with a cost breakdown which would’ve helped but we found the price to be somewhat reasonable.

We really wanted uPVC (windows and external doors) for a number of reasons but mainly for the following:

1. Easily maintained (essentially maintenance-free), unlike wood which would need to be re-stained/varnished/painted and sanding. Wood is also more susceptible to corroding, rotting and warping.

2. Fire-resistant (not fire-proof). Wood can accidentally catch on fire.

3. Minimal heat loss and increase sound proofing in comparison to aluminium

4. Rust-proof unlike aluminium.

We had to really push to customise our windows - it took Metricon a really long time time to approve until we found a supplier who’d advised us that he had previously worked on a Metricon build.

Metricon were very hesitant as PVC is not a standard product they use and they were also worried how the windows would turn out, i.e cheapen the look of the Bordeaux façade.

We did quite a bit of research and found a supplier that did wood grain uPVC that is also texturised, so hopefully it works out...you’ll hopefully get to see the end result if you follow us til the end 😂.
That’s a beautiful house. We built the doulton. And we also extended it by 10 squares. Taking out 2 en-suite and adding two jack and Jill bathrooms instead.

Where about are you building? And when do you start?

hey doulton

how much did the extension cost you?

i want to extend my proposed Vantage 46 build to extend the back so that i can get a void near the stairs to match the vantage 48 without paying the premium
QFA
FortuneCat

Hi FortuneCat,

How exciting!!

The structural modifications came to about $67,000 - that also included us changing the balcony in Bedroom 1 (main ensuite). We halved the balcony to make room for a study, which I forgot to mention in the previous post.

Unfortunately, they didn’t provide us with a cost breakdown which would’ve helped but we found the price to be somewhat reasonable.

We really wanted uPVC (windows and external doors) for a number of reasons but mainly for the following:

1. Easily maintained (essentially maintenance-free), unlike wood which would need to be re-stained/varnished/painted and sanding. Wood is also more susceptible to corroding, rotting and warping.

We had to really push to customise our windows - it took Metricon a really long time time to approve until we found a supplier who’d advised us that he had previously worked on a Metricon build.

Metricon were very hesitant as PVC is not a standard product they use and they were also worried how the windows would turn out, i.e cheapen the look of the Bordeaux façade.

We did quite a bit of research and found a supplier that did wood grain uPVC that is also texturised, so hopefully it works out...you’ll hopefully get to see the end result if you follow us til the end 😂.

How much extra did the uPVC set you back? was it even one of the options thats selectable via studio M?
i didnt know they let you use materials not in their range
FortuneCat
QFA
FortuneCat

Hi FortuneCat,

How exciting!!

How much extra did the uPVC set you back? was it even one of the options thats selectable via studio M?
i didnt know they let you use materials not in their range

Hi FortuneCat,

It set us back about $30,000 - on top of what they gave back to us. This also included: uPVC stacker doors, double glazing, extra casement window etc.

It was not an option selectable at Studio M.

We were insistent about having uPVC. The consultants advised us that due to the lifetime warranty, we’d only be able to use products that were supplied by Metricon. As we were able to find a uPVC supplier who worked on a Metricon build, we managed to get them to agree to it.

This was all done prior to signing our contract but they only agreed to look into it if a deposit was paid.
QFA

Hi FortuneCat,

It set us back about $30,000 - on top of what they gave back to us. This also included: uPVC stacker doors, double glazing, extra casement window etc.

It was not an option selectable at Studio M.

We were insistent about having uPVC. The consultants advised us that due to the lifetime warranty, we’d only be able to use products that were supplied by Metricon. As we were able to find a uPVC supplier who worked on a Metricon build, we managed to get them to agree to it.

This was all done prior to signing our contract but they only agreed to look into it if a deposit was paid.

thanks QFA for the insight

30k is way out of my budget lol, but good to know the process and options available
We paid about $9,500 to double glaze all our windows (Doulton 50) so $30K would be pretty high for us too! But if it makes the house look better, and all the advantages as you listed, then it's your call!
Related
24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum