Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with SJD Homes in 2020 - Charleston 310 customised

Page 1 of 2
We started our search to buy our first home but couldn't find any for 3-4 months that ticked all the boxes. So we finally decided to build our own. Selected a block of land in Berwick and finally bought it. Our block of land is 15m x 38.5m (578 square metres). Been to several display houses by both volume & custom builders in several estates including SJD display houses, Kaduna Park in Officer South and one of their display houses appealed us due to its nice connectivity of kitchen with alfresco and few other things https://www.sjdhomes.com.au/display-homes/charleston/. Below is our timeline.

01-11-2019 Selected the block of land and got it on hold
15-11-2019 Got the first building quote from SJD
26-11-2019 Paid deposit for the block
04-12-2019 Made initial payment to SJD for soil test and survey
20-12-2019 Land settled
09-02-2020 Got first initial drawings
01-03-2020 COVID-19 started

23-06-2020 Color Selection
04-09-2020 Second Deposit to SJD
10-10-2020 Engineering Done
19-10-2020 Plans Finalised
10-11-2020 HIA Contract Signed
17-11-2020 5% Deposit Paid to SJD
18-11-2020 Construction Loan Approved
23-11-2020 Building Surveyor Appointed
03-12-2020 Building Permit Received
07-12-2020 FHOG Approved
08-12-2020 Stamped Plans Received
11-12-2020 Official Site Start by SJD
12-12-2020 Site Cut (Site levelling)
17-12-2020 Underground Power
12-01-2021 Storm Water and Drains
20-01-2021 Steel/pre-pour inspection by Darbecca (private building inspector)
21-01-2021 Slab Poured
03-02-2021 Frame work Started
09-02-2021 Frame Completed, Windows, Stackers, fascia and gutter Installed
20-02-2021 Colorbond Roof + Anticon Blanket Installed
26-02-2021 Facade Pillars, Heating Unit + Duct Work & Ducted Vacuum Pipes installation Completed
27-02-2021 Plumbing pipes installation done
02-03-2021 House Wrap Completed
03-03-2021 Brick Work Started & Ceiling and Wall Insulation Arrived
13-03-2021 Ceiling & Wall Insulation Installed
22-03-2021 Plaster Material Arrived
25-03-2021 Initial Plaster Work Completed
31-03-2021 Cornice Installed

As our block of land is 15 metres wide so we decided to widen the whole house by half a metre.

I am going to share my whole journey and experience with SJD Homes so stay tuned.
Here are the pictures of the house and plan we selected

Wow, what a long journey and delays due to COVID-19. When we've bought the land in Dec 2019. We were thinking we would select the builder and start construction in maximum a month or two. But have gone through several plan changes and delays due to COVID19 restrictions. Now we've paid the second deposit and about to sign the contract. Here is how our new house plan looks like. We've slowly increased the size of our house form 31sq to 35sq.

Adding the canopy rangehood in alfresco by the builder as it will be vented through the roof and will make an outdoor kitchen after handover.

Also added another Master Bed 2 (5th bed) + ensuite at the rear, with independent entry. We may use it as a home office or rent out this Master + ensuite (5th bedroom) which will help with the mortgage in the long run.

Apart from the 5th bed. any suggestion for rest of the plan?

Regarding SJD Homes, so far the experience and dealing with SJD is pleasant. Our building/sales consultant is Philippa (in Officer South, Kaduna Park). She is very professional, experienced and accommodating. She knows all bits and pieces. Whenever we got to see her, even after hours, it feels like she just took a double espresso shot, lol, very active and always welcomed us with a nice smile. There have been few pricing issues for few things but those got sorted by her.
Looking forward to having the same level and cooperation throughout the build

I will definitely keep sharing my experience with SJD Homes.

There is absolutely no way that 5th bedroom would work to rent out independently. Whoever rents it will need somewhere to store food, somewhere to cook (not outdoors, what if its raining etc etc, or you’re entertaining) access to a laundry, somewhere to sit and have friends over etc.
In fact I’d be surprised if it wasn’t illegal, to rent something like that out.
gogo65
There is absolutely no way that 5th bedroom would work to rent out independently. Whoever rents it will need somewhere to store food, somewhere to cook (not outdoors, what if its raining etc etc, or you’re entertaining) access to a laundry, somewhere to sit and have friends over etc.

Thanks for your valuable feedback.
murtaza.sh
gogo65

Thanks for your valuable feedback. To store food, we are thinking to provide fridge in the room, and lower and overhead cabinets in alfresco. We have grand covered roof alfresco so thinking rain won't be an issue. Also thinking to provide microwave in the room. And provide access to laundry when required. Would that make it better?

I agree with gogo65 with regards to the independent renting of the 5th Bedroom. I remember I read similar discussions elsewhere and the real estate agent mentioned that it will become as a second dwelling for which the Building approval from council is not valid. This is one of the reasons builder don't like to build a "second kitchen" as it then becomes 2 dwellings and I am sure your land contract will specify how many dwellings you can build on your land. There can be some actions from the council if they come to know about this arrangement. You may need to apply for permission from council and I am sure they will ask the same questions as highlighted above, I guess for health and safety there are some minimum requirements which need to be fulfilled.

You may look into option of Airbnb style leasing but I would suggest you check that as well.

Just my 2 cents. All the best !
we are about to get the building permit. Desperately waiting for the construction to start. We requested for any of the following S.S.
1. Anderew/Andy
2. Shane
3. Aaron

Would be happy if we get from the first two.

Anyone recently built with SJD Homes? Please share your experiences and who is your Site Supervisor?

Our sales consultant is Philippa and she is very responsive. We have a very positive experience with the sales so far.
The good thing is which I've never seen before, they've gone to the site to start work a few days after getting the work permit.

However, the first disappointment from SJD Team as they have not assigned our project to any of the three supervisors we have been requesting for the whole year. We remind them several times, even before signing the contract to make sure the availability of any one of the three supervisors that we preferred. They saw this coming, even then, now they are saying that the requested site supervisors are fully booked and assigned us a supervisor who has recently joined them. I am very worried about how the build will go.
murtaza.sh
The good thing is which I've never seen before, they've gone to the site to start work a few days after getting the work permit.

However, the first disappointment from SJD Team as they have not assigned our project to any of the three supervisors we have been requesting for the whole year. We remind them several times, even before signing the contract to make sure the availability of any one of the three supervisors that we preferred. They saw this coming, even then, now they are saying that the requested site supervisors are fully booked and assigned us a supervisor who has recently joined them. I am very worried about how the build will go.

You will be alright I think given they seem to have good systems and processes. You never know if the new site supervisor may be even better than other 3!

Are you going to engage private building inspections? I have been strongly recommended to do so but thinking of getting them for slab, frame & lock up stage only.
mbx3 Yes, We are thinking of using Darbecca as our private building inspector.
Pre-pour Steel Work (20-01-2021): Our Site Supervisor has mentioned that "you will get a great slab as SJD Homes have one of the best concreters pouring the slab". Here are the pictures of the pre-pour

Great to see your house construction progressing so well.
Did you have the Pre-pour inspection by Private inspector? If SJD indeed have the 'best concreter then I am guessing you didn't have much picked by inspector.
Pre-Pour Inspection by Private Building Inspector: We have hired Darbecca as our private building inspector (one of the best I've heard) and after they inspection here are their comments.

Darbecca has pointed out 4 defects. Out of which 2 are rectified in inspector's own presence at the time of the inspection (We have actually managed to schedule the inspection soon after the steelworks and preparation completed and in the presence of concreters). Rest of the 2 was rectified the next morning before the site pour by SJD Homes' concreters.
Slab Pictures Post-Pour (21 Jan 2021): Here are the pictures of our slab by SJD Homes, the next morning

I love your floor plan!
simonb
I love your floor plan!

Thanks simonb 🙂😊
@murtaza.sh - How is your home coming into the shape?
Frame work Started (3 Feb 2021): Pictures

Frame Completed, Windows, Stackers, fascia and gutter Installed (09-02-2021): Pictures

Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

9/12/2023
Anyone building with Zac Homes?

Building A New House

Wish you all the best. Once you signed the contract, they will find millions excuses to charge you. And have seen their sites unfinished for a long time.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum